or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 552

post #8266 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarae View Post


I also use an OTL amp on my HD-650 (LD MKIVse) and love it. But to be honest, when the HP is connected to the OTL and sounded super mega good, I get distracted listening after some time because of the anticipation and urge to switch back to the Lyr. Then when I am using the Lyr, I have the same feeling to switched back to OTL!
It is tough!
I have Phillips JAN ECG 6922 (the blue labeled ones) in the Lyr, and Russian 6H30/ CBS Hytron 6AK5 in the OTL amp.
I just acquired an output transformers from Sowther with HP taps to use in my 45 amp to see how it sounds with HP's. When they arrive, all hell will brake loose for sure! :>)

 

Oh the suffering trials of audiophilia..... tongue_smile.gif

post #8267 of 36831

You're right IEM, the GE tubes do sound a lot better after about an hour of play. 

 

The mids don't sound as flat as before and the bass seems to hit a lot deeper as well. Instrument separation is also a lot more refine too. Man, I really want to try out some different tubes now lol 

 

The Lyr sounds so much better than when I first fired it up, its truly impressing me now :D 

post #8268 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

You're right IEM, the GE tubes do sound a lot better after about an hour of play. 

 

The mids don't sound as flat as before and the bass seems to hit a lot deeper as well. Instrument separation is also a lot more refine too. Man, I really want to try out some different tubes now lol 

 

The Lyr sounds so much better than when I first fired it up, its truly impressing me now :D 

 

Yep!  There's lots of tubes out there that require long warmups (some amp manufacturers recommend leaving the tubes on 24/7 as a result, especially  big speaker amps with big power tubes.  I would absolutely not leave a tube amp on unattended despite the craziness of some manufacturers recommendations.)  But so far the GE's are the only tubes for Lyr I've tried that need a warmup time.  They do reward you if you let them heat up though!

post #8269 of 36831

My Miniwatts are the same way, I come home and always turn on the amp about 1/2 hour to an hour before I settle in. They sound harsh the first 1/2 hour or so of warm up.

 

BTW the Miniwatt 6BQ7A is fantastic with the HD 650s.

post #8270 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

My Miniwatts are the same way, I come home and always turn on the amp about 1/2 hour to an hour before I settle in. They sound harsh the first 1/2 hour or so of warm up.

 

BTW the Miniwatt 6BQ7A is fantastic with the HD 650s.

 

How about finding a pair for your friend Matt? biggrin.gif

post #8271 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

Oh the suffering trials of audiophilia..... tongue_smile.gif

Yes, unfortunately. bigsmile_face.gif

post #8272 of 36831

I know this has been probably asked a bunch of times but I looked through the past few pages and couldn't find anything. I was looking for a budget dac/amp in the lower range of things.  Is the E17/E9 a good choice or is there something better in the same price range.

 

The Schiit Lyr looks good but its more than the cost of the headphones.

post #8273 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insilin1i View Post

I know this has been probably asked a bunch of times but I looked through the past few pages and couldn't find anything. I was looking for a budget dac/amp in the lower range of things.  Is the E17/E9 a good choice or is there something better in the same price range.

 

The Schiit Lyr looks good but its more than the cost of the headphones.

 

That's a good place to start.  The Objective 2 amp & DAC combo is another good option to also consider.

post #8274 of 36831

I would put the odac with the e09. It will be cheaper and makes a better pairing IMO for the hd650. I didn't like the o2 paired with the hd650. 

post #8275 of 36831

Hello, i'm currently planning to get HD 650 moving on from ATH M50+ Fiio e17, iphone 4 as source. I also plan to get it with Hisound studio 3rd anv version. has anyone here been using this DAP? is it buit-in amp a good choice for HD 650? 

post #8276 of 36831

I haven't heard that combo but the hd650 is tough to drive so I wouldn't think you'd be very happy. Maybe someone who has heard it will chime in. 

post #8277 of 36831

I do not consider the 650's particularly tough to drive.....There are certainly much harder to drive top flight cans out there.

post #8278 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I do not consider the 650's particularly tough to drive.....There are certainly much harder to drive top flight cans out there.

 

Don't agree here. The 650 sounds like crap from my e17. Okay from e09 and odac. Decent from some of the audio gd amps. Brilliant from the lyr and a set of Lonrenz tubes. Sure, there are hp's harder to drive, but that's not the point I was making to the OP.

post #8279 of 36831

When people on head-fi say 'tough to drive' they just mean 'tough to make sound good with amp'

post #8280 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

When people on head-fi say 'tough to drive' they just mean 'tough to make sound good with amp'

I think the HD-650, K601, Q701 and DJ100 were the toughest headphones i've ever encountered to be at their best. Pretty picky with amp/dac.

 

I don't know why, but I'd probably love the HD-650 with an E9 and E7. The E7 always seemed really bright to me and had this really edgy sounding treble confused_face_2.gif

Of course i'm sure the ODAC is far better.

 

I wonder what EXACTLY it is that makes the Lyr so good with the HD-650? Just more power or some sort of coloration biggrin.gif I doubt that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread