or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 550

post #8236 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

There are current production tubes for the Lyr and plenty of other amps that are excellent.  I wouldn't let the whole vintage/NOS tube supply thing kill the idea of tubes for you.  Here's just a sampling of current production tubes I find as good or better than many/most NOS options:

 

- Genelex Gold Lion (6922, KT-66/77/88)

- Shuguan Black Treasure (6CA7-Z, KT-88, CV181)

- EAT (ECC88, ECC803S, KT-88, 300B)

- Emission Labs (5U4G, 274B, 300B)

- Tung-Sol (KT-120) --> This is actually a new tube design; there never was a NOS tube option.

 

I am going to pretend I didnt see that. I been fighting the urge for the Lyr with someday tubes wont be available for it and I dont want to pay as much for tubes as I did for the amp...........lol

post #8237 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Schiit Lyr with the HD650 is pretty amazing! 

 

I'm really lovin' it :D 

I Agree!!   I also like the Bifrost driving my LittleDot MKIV a lot.  It's not "it" if ain't got no Schiit wink_face.gif huh!

post #8238 of 36851

I'm planning on ordering the new WA7 by Woo Audio for my HD 650's. 

 

Hope they'll sound good...

post #8239 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple10 View Post

wondering the same

I think the older hd650's had black material on the drivers, it was quite a while ago the new version has white material i believe.

post #8240 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

I think the older hd650's had black material on the drivers, it was quite a while ago the new version has white material i believe.


You are correct - I think it was maybe 3 years ago that the new model came out.

post #8241 of 36851

  To whom it may concern:

 

    For too many years I have been driving my HD 650's with a 15+ year old Headroom "traveller"(?) portable headphone amplifier...and I would like to hear what my old cans can really do.

 

    After debating about various single ended output headphone amps...the new crop of balanced output amps have intrigued me...including the Schiit Mjolnir all/only balanced, as well as the Bryston BHA-1, with both single ended AND balanced outputs. Both have garnered good to excellent reviews thus far, however, prices are significantly different.  Despite the higher cost of the Bryston BHA-1, I was leaning in that direction due to the versatility of addtional single ended output...

 

    HOWEVER...

 

    The latest reviews regarding the sound quality of said single ended output is signifcantly poorer than its balanced outputs, and in fact, poorer than several/many(?) other, lower priced single ended headphone amps on the market.  So, in an attempt to maximize the bang for my buck,(why pay extra for "convenience" of sub-standard quality output I would then not use), I was leaning toward the Schiit Mjolnir, to use with my current HD 650's, as well as future, more demanding headphones...

 

    Now, that being said, I would have to have my 650's rewired for balanced amplification, (and not just an adapter...lol...), and need to know who/what companys can do this...

 

    Also, I would like to know if anyone has used the Mjolnir with the 650's, and would care to provide their impressions?  I can imagine that my questions may have already been addressed several times, however, I don't have the time to read through 8,000+ postings...

 

    Thank you in advance for your input/assistance to me in this endeavor.

 

Sincerely,

T.A. Kogstrom          

post #8242 of 36851

I no longer own the HD650 but it remains one of my favourite headphones. I'm certain it would sound magnificent driven by the Mjolnir. Source is important too, but it's not as critical with the HD650 as it is with something like the HD800. I had a Mogami cable for the HD650 at one time that I preferred over the DHC Molecule. There are countless HD650 cable makers. It should be your last expense (unless a necessity when going fully balanced) and you don't need to pay premium for something that will only refine your headphone in a very subtle manner.


Edited by olor1n - 10/16/12 at 6:57am
post #8243 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergist969 View Post

  To whom it may concern:

 

    For too many years I have been driving my HD 650's with a 15+ year old Headroom "traveller"(?) portable headphone amplifier...and I would like to hear what my old cans can really do.

 

    After debating about various single ended output headphone amps...the new crop of balanced output amps have intrigued me...including the Schiit Mjolnir all/only balanced, as well as the Bryston BHA-1, with both single ended AND balanced outputs. Both have garnered good to excellent reviews thus far, however, prices are significantly different.  Despite the higher cost of the Bryston BHA-1, I was leaning in that direction due to the versatility of addtional single ended output...

 

    HOWEVER...

 

    The latest reviews regarding the sound quality of said single ended output is signifcantly poorer than its balanced outputs, and in fact, poorer than several/many(?) other, lower priced single ended headphone amps on the market.  So, in an attempt to maximize the bang for my buck,(why pay extra for "convenience" of sub-standard quality output I would then not use), I was leaning toward the Schiit Mjolnir, to use with my current HD 650's, as well as future, more demanding headphones...

 

    Now, that being said, I would have to have my 650's rewired for balanced amplification, (and not just an adapter...lol...), and need to know who/what companys can do this...

 

    Also, I would like to know if anyone has used the Mjolnir with the 650's, and would care to provide their impressions?  I can imagine that my questions may have already been addressed several times, however, I don't have the time to read through 8,000+ postings...

 

    Thank you in advance for your input/assistance to me in this endeavor.

 

Sincerely,

T.A. Kogstrom          

 

To save some money and for a good sound I highly recommend the Burson HA-160 for the HD650.

 

It will give it a deep, smooth punchy sound with lots of PRAT and SLAM that is very, very nice in my opinion.

 

You can pick one up for a good price second hand and sell it on it you don't like it (which I doubt).

 

The HA-160 will give you all the benefits of "trying an amp" without excessive cost or the need to go ballanced.

post #8244 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

 

To save some money and for a good sound I highly recommend the Burson HA-160 for the HD650.

 

It will give it a deep, smooth punchy sound with lots of PRAT and SLAM that is very, very nice in my opinion.

 

You can pick one up for a good price second hand and sell it on it you don't like it (which I doubt).

 

The HA-160 will give you all the benefits of "trying an amp" without excessive cost or the need to go ballanced.

 

Are you sure you meant the HA-160? They are close to $1000 USD, not? The top schiit are half that.

post #8245 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post

 

Are you sure you meant the HA-160? They are close to $1000 USD, not? The top schiit are half that.


A good second hand one can be had for less than $500.

 

The mjolnir is much more than that and also very few second hand ones around, plus you need the re-cabling/re-soldering.

post #8246 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarae View Post

Oh, btw, do you guys know when the start of the serial # or year when the "New" HD-650 came out? I search the forum and the pics I saw showing the difference is not as definitive to me because of the camera angle (or maybe my eyesight). Any link will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Abe

 

July of 2007 I believe is when the changeover in production occurred. My original drivers were I believe the first production batch of the "new drivers."  The old ones had a black silk visible through the grills for the primary damping.  The new ones have a stainless steel ("silver") damping screen visible through the grills.  If there's a silver metal visible through the grills, it's the new ones. If it's all jet black on the inside it's the old ones.   It's very rare to find an old one these days.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcberto View Post

I'm planning on ordering the new WA7 by Woo Audio for my HD 650's. 

 

Hope they'll sound good...

 

And when has Jack ever made a bad sounding amp? wink.gif  Should be a great match!

post #8247 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

July of 2007 I believe is when the changeover in production occurred. My original drivers were I believe the first production batch of the "new drivers."  The old ones had a black silk visible through the grills for the primary damping.  The new ones have a stainless steel ("silver") damping screen visible through the grills.  If there's a silver metal visible through the grills, it's the new ones. If it's all jet black on the inside it's the old ones.   It's very rare to find an old one these days.

 

 

And when has Jack ever made a bad sounding amp? wink.gif  Should be a great match!

Thank you very much!  I should have ask you guys first instead of wasting my time going to the archives.  Again, thank you guys for your responses.

post #8248 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergist969 View Post

    The latest reviews regarding the sound quality of said single ended output is signifcantly poorer than its balanced outputs, and in fact, poorer than several/many(?) other, lower priced single ended headphone amps on the market.  So, in an attempt to maximize the bang for my buck,(why pay extra for "convenience" of sub-standard quality output I would then not use), I was leaning toward the Schiit Mjolnir, to use with my current HD 650's, as well as future, more demanding headphones...

 

    Also, I would like to know if anyone has used the Mjolnir with the 650's, and would care to provide their impressions?  I can imagine that my questions may have already been addressed several times, however, I don't have the time to read through 8,000+ postings...

 

So I haven't heard the Mjolnir and the BHA-1 with the HD650, but this weekend at CanJam I did hear both amps with the HD800.  As far as the Bryston's single-ended output is concerned, I compared the LCD-2 with a 1/4" plug to a balanced mod AKG K701.  The AKG sounded much better.  It was very surprising to say the least.  I didn't take the time to swap in a balanced cable on the LCD-2, but my best guess for the difference would be some combination of their balanced output being significantly better than the single-ended output and the AKG taking to the balanced connection quite well. 

 

Ignoring the single-ended connection on the Bryston, I don't really know that there was a significant difference in the sound.  The Bryston did sound better, but it had a Meridian CD player as the source while the Mjolnir was using an iPad.  The Schiit has an outstanding price to performance ratio (as do all their products).  I have a great respect for both companies.  I'd suggest buying the Schiit and using the saved money to buy the balanced cord you'll need.

post #8249 of 36851

  Dear All:

 

    Thank you for your input, it is well worth considering.  Part of my reasoning regarding the Mjolnir is the potential for driving future, more "difficult" headphones, i.e. the Hi-Fi mans, Audeze, or even the Senn. HD. 800, so I was looking for something that could maximize the sound qualities of the higher-end phones, which, by and large, seem to work best in balanced wiring...or so it seems based on that which I have read here on Head-Fi...

 

    So, please keep those suggestions coming...I am listening...

 

    By the way, as I am not an electrical device hobbiest, and therefore would not be able to properly re-solder which ever connections would have to be broken/re-soldered, where might I have that done, so that whatever balanced cables I elect to purchase, so that once all are connected, they would not destroy a balanced amplifier OR my very nicely broken-in 650's?

 

    Sincerely,

    T. A. Kogstrom

post #8250 of 36851

Re-soldering the stock cable on the HD650 is actually kinda annoying/difficult cause it has some sort of "film" over the cable that you must burn off before you can start the process. But overall its not THAT difficult. Brian from BTG Audio, a lot of people from the DIY Cable Gallery thread, Chrishimself, etc can all make you a cable or maybe convert your stock one for you. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread