- 1,238 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV Last post on 3/20/17 at 1:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 3/3/17 at 6:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 1/9/17 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 3/16/17 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 544
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The iPod is filled with lossless music exlusively, the Burson is fed by a V-DAC at 96/24 with lossless source music.
Sure, the Burson is more dynamic and has more "body", but the ipod music sounds passable. I must have low standards.
Right now I'm listening at another computer set-up with X-Fi Go! and a Logitech amplifier which a pretty darn mediocre set-up. It's more dynamic than the iPod, but it lacks warmth and sounds a bit tinny. Still, it sounds far from bad.
I have been wearing these 650's for 3 hours without end now. Lovely.
That sounds a lot better Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650. Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right?
The Burson has awesome PRaT and is very musical, but I like how soothing and relaxing this former flagship is with lesser sources and amplification just as well.
I'm not saying it's what it should be used for, but it still sounds awesome.. enough.
True enough! But HD650 is of high enough purebreed pedigree to demand to be fed only organic premium foods
It'll sound good enough on modest equipment, but it's a phenominal headphone that'll keep rewarding the best of feeds!
Lol, i've got my lyr now and i've got 3 480s in my rig.. I'm just gonna leave my pc on all day and i won't even need the heat on. And plus one of my fans broke so it runs even hotter than before, i should probably get that fixed
Interesting. I tried the HD650 straight out of my iPhone 4 and if it had been a horse--I would have shot it. Out of the op-amp headphone feed in my Pioneer receiver, it really opened up, but the Lyr--well, the Lyr lights up the HD650 like the 4th of July. I started with some Amperex orange globe A-frames--and they have a nice warm tubey sound. I was so happy with that combination and was skeptical of tube rolling--so it took me a while to try anything else. I recently switched to the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes and was surprised at the brighter sound. The 6BZ7 tubes give the HD650 a little extra bite, although they don't sound quite as smooth as the Amperex tubes. You guys with Lyrs should mention the tubes you're using.
There's already a nice 275 page thread on that topic. Have fun.
Like a 4 Channel Fully Balanced βeta-22.
Don't worry, I haven't put them on the mono blocks - yet
Frank - your avatar scared the sh_t outta me..
Your face when the 4xx series was Dun Goof'd my nVidia before the 5xx and 6xx.
With that said my bfg gtx 280 puts my asgard to shame, you can literally fry an egg on the 280.
AArrr him, that's the preacher, who says his bit at Speakers Corner here in London. All to do with my other hobby which is photography. Have a web site if you wish to have a look.
Your avatar is very chilled out looking.
Congrats Frank!! You just bought a hp that you could settle in with for about, oh the next 10 years or so and get a whole lot of great head time with.
What are you using for amp/dac?
Well they will have to last me a little while as my next big purchase is a new camera.
As for my set up: At the moment my system is a pc running Jriver software, playing Flac, converted from CD or some 24 bit flac from B&W society of sound, sent to a Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192, then a White Bird Amplification- Virtus-01.
Not a common set up, but I wrote a little bit about it here, and how lucky I got.
I see you have a Lyr, was looking at buying one of these as I was very impressed with it, I demoed it with a Bi Frost DAC, and this was the set up I was going to go for, with the HD 650's.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › B&O Beoplay H4 announced 18 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden... 42 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 46 seconds ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 48 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 2 minutes ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC) 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear