or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 54

post #796 of 36888
After a couple of days listening, I find myself loving the HD650s more and more. The one limitation, however, is soundstage. The soundstage is just not as large as that of my AD900s (though I would not consider going back to AD900s because the HD650s are so much better in every other way.)
Would a dedicated headphone amp improve this (currently using an Onkyo stereo receiver), and if so what kind?
I am more skeptical of the possibility that a DAC could help (my CD player is a pretty decent one), but haven't ruled it out. For now, however, I can afford one or the other but not both.
post #797 of 36888
How well does the Compass mate with the 650? Anyone here using that combo and have nothing but positive things to say bout the synergy?
post #798 of 36888
well..today I gave in to my passion for bass. I took the AH-D5000 for a ride after a few good months I didn't touch them. well,what can I say... as a basshead and a lover of a colourful sound how can I not be amazed by them all over again?! they kind of blew me away for a couple of minutes.

don't worry, I didn't forget the title of this thread..
I decided to take my 2 months old HD650 and did a little A-B comparison with the denons using my MARANTS CD5001. and guess what..I am wearing the HD650 right now enjoying a blissful sound with plenty of bass and nice little rolled off highs and a little distanced sound...the denons don't have this kind of sound, they are much more farward sounding and more aggressive.

I maybe have "grown up" and prefer the more balanced HD650 right now, although I am still trying to get some more bass and punch out of them..just a little bit more and they will be perfect for me.

The senns, unlike the denons, don't have this "wow" factor to them, but after a while of getting used to the sound, you start to love them.
post #799 of 36888
Hello Sennheiser HD650 Appreciators. I am endeavoring to find a good set of headphones and will also be ordering a good amp to go with them. The 650's paired with some amps seem to get high acclaim, but I am wondering about their ability to perform well with a wide variety of music.

I have read on several occasions that they are great for acoustic music, but how do they do for all the other music out there such as for example quiet electronic and ambient? How do they do with lounge, world, funk, energetic types of electronic, new wave, jazz fusion, progressive rock etc? When paired with a good matching amp would you say they are good all-arounders?
post #800 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithaliens View Post
Hello Sennheiser HD650 Appreciators. I am endeavoring to find a good set of headphones and will also be ordering a good amp to go with them. The 650's paired with some amps seem to get high acclaim, but I am wondering about their ability to perform well with a wide variety of music.

I have read on several occasions that they are great for acoustic music, but how do they do for all the other music out there such as for example quiet electronic and ambient? How do they do with lounge, world, funk, energetic types of electronic, new wave, jazz fusion, progressive rock etc? When paired with a good matching amp would you say they are good all-arounders?
Although this is an appreciation thread..I must say my honest opinion about this, and it is that I didn't like the HD650 with electronic music. IMO they just don't have enough punch and enough bass power for that, but for all the rest...they are wonderfull. for electronic music I would suggeset the denons (AHD2000 5000 7000) which are also good for other genres as well.
I can't comment on other headphones because I don't know.

I don't know..but maybe with the right setup they(HD650) can be more suited for electronic but I never got to that "right" setup. a powerful warm SS amp will probably do it. let's see what other head fiers will say about this,because this is only my opinion about them,and maybe others will say differently.
post #801 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
Although this is an appreciation thread..I must say my honest opinion about this, and it is that I didn't like the HD650 with electronic music. IMO they just don't have enough punch and enough bass power for that, but for all the rest...they are wonderfull. for electronic music I would suggeset the denons (AHD2000 5000 7000) which are also good for other genres as well.
I can't comment on other headphones because I don't know.

I don't know..but maybe with the right setup they(HD650) can be more suited for electronic but I never got to that "right" setup. a powerful warm SS amp will probably do it. let's see what other head fiers will say about this,because this is only my opinion about them,and maybe others will say differently.
You're never going to get the same "thump" from the HD650s that you do from the Denons. The 650s are one of the tamest, most laid-back headphones on the market. Some like it (ME!); others (YOOOOOUUUU! lol) don't. No biggee. We'll just agree that your opinion is wrong!
post #802 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStewart422 View Post
You're never going to get the same "thump" from the HD650s that you do from the Denons. The 650s are one of the tamest, most laid-back headphones on the market. Some like it (ME!); others (YOOOOOUUUU! lol) don't. No biggee. We'll just agree that your opinion is wrong!
What do you mean by "your opinion is wrong..."? an opinion can't be "wrong" in any way..its an opinion, it is up to one's taste.
and anyway, I really like the HD650 i just said (to answer the question from the post before mine...maybe you didn't read it) that I don't like them with electronic and I also stated WHY.
you have the right for your own opinion mate.
post #803 of 36888
They do well with the RudiStors balanced.
post #804 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithaliens View Post
Hello Sennheiser HD650 Appreciators. I am endeavoring to find a good set of headphones and will also be ordering a good amp to go with them. The 650's paired with some amps seem to get high acclaim, but I am wondering about their ability to perform well with a wide variety of music.

I have read on several occasions that they are great for acoustic music, but how do they do for all the other music out there such as for example quiet electronic and ambient? How do they do with lounge, world, funk, energetic types of electronic, new wave, jazz fusion, progressive rock etc? When paired with a good matching amp would you say they are good all-arounders?
In my opinion, paired with a Purity Audio KICAS Caliente amp, the HD650 are a great all-arounder phone, providing a really fine portrayal of music of every genre that I've used them to listen to: including, but not limited to, all of the genres that you list in your question. Are there phones which, for this or that particular genre, provide a better portrayal, to my ears? Sure! That's why I own four main-rig phones. In my listening experience, among the phones that I use, the HD650/Caliente provides the best overall presentation of music over the widest range of genres.
Nearly all of my HD650 listening has been with an aftermarket replacement cable: starting with the Cardas (smurf blue) cable, then the SAA Equinox 650 cable, and (I think finally) now the ALO 18AWG Jena Cryo Wire Senn cable.
post #805 of 36888
Just want to share how I improved my HD650 and finally appreciate them..
Context : I was listening to a K701 with a maxxed WA2 feeded by a DACMagic
1st contact : more bass, less treble and toned down medium... better than the K701
after more time : i started to notice the annoying things ; muffled treble, bloomy and overpowered bass, total lack of punch
tweaking :
- removing inside foam ... better high but still poor bottom
- tube rolling ... no real success. Better treble is all I achieved
- removing outside foam ... better soundstage, lower bass presence but clearly not improved their quality, maybe make it worse
- upgradind cable ... more accurate treble, more details, better instruments separation but still a poor bass IMO
- and lastly, I made my own interconnect (DAC to amp) using pure silver core. I was previously using VDH D102 MKIII. Damn ! It's a revelation... it really makes a difference ! The HD650 sounds more detailled, more airy, and bass is finally more precise. Of course it still doesn't kick your ears like a speakers stack in a rave but it's quite good.
Should I say I no longer have the famous veil
Now I'm waiting my HF-2... We'll see how they compare
post #806 of 36888
sure are great headphones. Only complaint i have
A) i need to spend more money on a amp (only have iBasso D2 . Keen on a Little Dot MK II or MKIII or a Darkvoice tube amp
B) can't crank them up at work. They're almost as bad as my work mates SR60s - pretty much more sound comes out the back of the damn phone then goes into your head!
post #807 of 36888
The HD650 sure need a powerful amp to shine...A low power/low quality amp will Embarrass them. After listening with my EF1 for a while and now changing to the headroom ultra micro stack I really noticed the differences.
with the headroom they are WAY more controlled and dynamic...very aggresive but at the same time keeping the senn sound sig. the bass is tight and controlled. NO veil whatsoever.

I also never felt the need to take the foams off...they are pretty bright and aggressive to my liking as they are, good amplification (and source) is all they need.
post #808 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
What do you mean by "your opinion is wrong..."? an opinion can't be "wrong" in any way..its an opinion, it is up to one's taste.
and anyway, I really like the HD650 i just said (to answer the question from the post before mine...maybe you didn't read it) that I don't like them with electronic and I also stated WHY.
you have the right for your own opinion mate.
Dude. I was joking. Note the smiley. C'mon, Falkor, you had a GREAT sense of humor in the first movie!

Back to serious matters, the HD650s don't really "thump" with anything. It's not their style. Grados (EAR PAIN!!) and Denons (Hey, good lookin') are better for this. In fact, the M50s I have thump better than they do on rock bumper music for talk radio. It's one quality I LOVE about the 650s! They're so EASY to listen to. One reason I'm looking at the k702s is because they step up the intensity a bit (but not TOO much) AND are comfortable! But, THEY don't "thump" either.

One thing the 650s are just plain awesome on are MOVIES! I watched The Neverending Story (COINCIDENCE!) a few weeks ago on them and they were FANTASTIC! The movie holds up, too, except for Falkor's horrible lip-synching, but what do you expect for 80's German films?
post #809 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStewart422 View Post
Dude. I was joking. Note the smiley. C'mon, Falkor, you had a GREAT sense of humor in the first movie!

Back to serious matters, the HD650s don't really "thump" with anything. It's not their style. Grados (EAR PAIN!!) and Denons (Hey, good lookin') are better for this. In fact, the M50s I have thump better than they do on rock bumper music for talk radio. It's one quality I LOVE about the 650s! They're so EASY to listen to. One reason I'm looking at the k702s is because they step up the intensity a bit (but not TOO much) AND are comfortable! But, THEY don't "thump" either.

One thing the 650s are just plain awesome on are MOVIES! I watched The Neverending Story (COINCIDENCE!) a few weeks ago on them and they were FANTASTIC! The movie holds up, too, except for Falkor's horrible lip-synching, but what do you expect for 80's German films?
Sorry Tstewart422, didn't intented it to sound like this, your comment was ok,I just misinterpreted it I guess, sorry.

by the way,my HD650 really keep to improving..now they sound amazing with my ultra micro stack (very controlled), the bass in this cans is really impressive in its quality. I will try them again with some electronic tracks to see if they improved in that area also, because until now i kind of avoided from listening with electronic music with them...except for burn in purposes.
Right now, I really prefer them over the AHD5000.
post #810 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
...

by the way,my HD650 really keep to improving..now they sound amazing with my ultra micro stack (very controlled), the bass in this cans is really impressive in its quality. I will try them again with some electronic tracks to see if they improved in that area also, because until now i kind of avoided from listening with electronic music with them...except for burn in purposes.
Right now, I really prefer them over the AHD5000.
Hello Plonter, I will be curious to hear your impressions of them with electronic music. I am surprised to hear that they seem to be working better for you with your solid state amp compared to the tube amp. I might have to consider the ultra micro stack.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread