Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 530

post #7936 of 37709

I wanna mention that I used the DT770 Pro 80ohms with my iPhone for a while and maxed out they were probably fine for portable (from what I can remember, it was a long time ago) but the cord is 10ft and that was a big nuisance for me.

post #7937 of 37709
^^^ I think you are probably not getting a good seal with the TF10 or worse youre a basshead biggrin.gif if you are dissapointed with the bass. Is that the only issue you have with the TF10? If you only want a bass boost you dont need a $300 amp (I dont think any IEM really does) just buy a Fiio E6 its bass boost function will probably be enough to give you what you want.
Edited by alv4426 - 9/29/12 at 8:21am
post #7938 of 37709

Yeah I love everything else about them, the bass just is a bit light for me. I'll definitely look into picking that amp up. I think my seal is fine, I'm just a huge bass head. 

 

My main reason for upgrading was just to increase sound but if I can't really go up much from the UE TF 10s then I think I'll just keep them. They are the first >$50 audio things I've ever bought so I have no idea how good the higher end stuff really is. 

 

I don't really need an at home headphone for my PC because I'm usually talking on skype so I can't have my music too loud or overpowering most of the time anyway. 

 

Also I'm using droid with a standard in line jack, do I need a special cord to go with my amp to connect it to the phone?


Edited by kookajamo - 9/29/12 at 8:29am
post #7939 of 37709
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

I would say that as someone who is very sensitive to clamp and weight, I have no real issue with either from the he400. The headband can be gently bent to reduce and clamp that would cause a problem with comfort. The weight falls just under what I would call heavy. It's big brother, the he500, is about a 100 grams heavier and it's just too heavy for me. Don't be put off this fantastic hp by those two issues. It would also get you into planar tech which is outstanding. See the review in my signature for more info.

 

gL!!


I will try it firsthand before making my judgement. Sound wise, maybe suitable for me. I hope that the store that got hifiman open tomorrow, so I can try it.

post #7940 of 37709

I am at a loss to truly put into words the experience that I've had today with the hd650>lyr>bifrost. I was expecting an improvement albeit a modest one. This combo has exceeded my wildest expectations. As they like to say around here...game over!!

post #7941 of 37709

Oh please find the words :)

 

Really interested in hearing your thoughts on this combo as I am thinking of going with the same set-up for my HD650 so when/if I go the Ortho route I will be ready.

post #7942 of 37709

I can't really get my ears around it quite yet. The difference is tremendous. I was using the hd650 with the e09k and odac last week, all week as a loaner from a friend. So I knew that they were really special and that I would buy them. Got the hd650 Friday and lyr and bifrost today. Plugged it all in and fired up some tunes. They hair on my arms stood straight up. I couldn't have imagined that the hd650 would improve that much with an amp and dac change. It does and it did. 

 

Honestly, I thought that the e09+odac was pretty darn good and it is. But this is a completely different experience. This is the first time that I truly heard music revealed, fully...it was quite an experience. The lyr doesn't make the hd650 louder...it's just fuller, if that makes sense. I was always a quiet to quiet medium listener. But I can turn the dial up some now. 

 

I'm just not able to articulate the experience quite yet. It will take a few days. 

post #7943 of 37709

Please do.  We wouldn't want first impression hyperbole getting in the way.

post #7944 of 37709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Please do.  We wouldn't want first impression hyperbole getting in the way.

tongue.gif

post #7945 of 37709

Thanks for the early impression. Sure sounds like the killer set-up for the HD650 and would benefit if/when I go the Ortho route. 

 

Thanks again. 

post #7946 of 37709

As people have said before about the HD650's, the better the surrounding components, the better they are. Upgrading your Amp and or DAC will always give you an upgrade in your HD650's output.

post #7947 of 37709

So would an E9/E7 combo and 650s be a good starter setup for my friend? He became interested after his dad had some old Sennheisers (he said like 598s but wasn't too sure)

 

I heard about the E09k and read that it was just a mechanical upgrade and more optimized for E17 dock (RCAs vs. 3.5mm jack etc) and no sonic changes. He wants a setup around $500 and his 650s would be about 350, so..? Lol I noticed that on Amazon the E7/E9 combo is like $10 more than buying them separately. (170 for the combo vs 155 or something) too, just an observation.

 

He likes rock, pop, rap, RnB, indie, alternative, but mostly rap and alternative. He said he wants 650s but I'll ask him if he did his own research on that. Seems like some beyers would be a better idea, some DT990s maybe?

 

He wanted something for portable use too but changed his mind after I told him there aren't really any audiophile quality/type headphones that are gonna be closed and portable (ie decent length cable, not 10ft like many). He was looking for an amp for his Bose QC15s because they apparently clip after 60% volume on his ipod but I told him an amp probably wouldn't help much with Bose (from what I read) and they probably have their own amp too for the ANC like Beats do.

 

So, any other suggestions?

post #7948 of 37709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

So would an E9/E7 combo and 650s be a good starter setup for my friend? He became interested after his dad had some old Sennheisers (he said like 598s but wasn't too sure)

 

I heard about the E09k and read that it was just a mechanical upgrade and more optimized for E17 dock (RCAs vs. 3.5mm jack etc) and no sonic changes. He wants a setup around $500 and his 650s would be about 350, so..? Lol I noticed that on Amazon the E7/E9 combo is like $10 more than buying them separately. (170 for the combo vs 155 or something) too, just an observation.

 

He likes rock, pop, rap, RnB, indie, alternative, but mostly rap and alternative. He said he wants 650s but I'll ask him if he did his own research on that. Seems like some beyers would be a better idea, some DT990s maybe?

 

He wanted something for portable use too but changed his mind after I told him there aren't really any audiophile quality/type headphones that are gonna be closed and portable (ie decent length cable, not 10ft like many). He was looking for an amp for his Bose QC15s because they apparently clip after 60% volume on his ipod but I told him an amp probably wouldn't help much with Bose (from what I read) and they probably have their own amp too for the ANC like Beats do.

 

So, any other suggestions?

The good thing about starting out with HD650s in a starter rig is you will most likely save money in the long run.  It's hard to find an "upgrade" for the HD650s.  Because the HD650s have such a unique sound signature, they don't have an upgrade path in the current market.  You may want a different sound signature, but you will be hard pressed to "upgrade" the same sound signature.

 

I never tried the Fiios set up with the HD650s, but I hear they do alright.  If he is limited in budget to $500, he can always upgrade the amp/dac later on.  The Fiios set up would be a good starter.  And the good thing with the HD650s, they will scale up beautifully when he gets more funds to upgrade his amp/dac in the future to a mid-fi or hi-fi set up.

 

Also, don't forget about the E17 Alpen, as opposed to the E7.  


Edited by Eargasmo - 9/29/12 at 10:07pm
post #7949 of 37709

Depends what he means by portable use, in a noisy environment trains etc no not ideal being open back sound leaks out and also external noise/sound leaks. The desktop fiio amps are a good starting point i wouldnt bother with a fiio e7/e17 on high impedance cans i have the e17 and it doesnt quite have the power for the hd650's. Theres quite a few decent closed back headphones but i dont own any so cant comment i use shure 535's for portable use ive read good things about the shure srh840 and the srh940.

post #7950 of 37709

Interesting. Considering getting the lyr > bifrost for my HD-650

Currently using my Fiio E-17 lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I am at a loss to truly put into words the experience that I've had today with the hd650>lyr>bifrost. I was expecting an improvement albeit a modest one. This combo has exceeded my wildest expectations. As they like to say around here...game over!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread