or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 513

post #7681 of 36888

I'd listen to KCRW if I could — they have some great live sessions and interviews, but it always feels weirder listening to music from a different timezone rather than just hearing a recording later. I used to listen to BBC Radio 1 in the evening or at night for shows like The BreezeBlock exclusive sets or Blue Jam because it's hilarious. I listen to Radio 2 in the car because hey it's easy going and has a mix of old and new. And finally I listen to 6music online because that one's just plain awesome.

 

So yeah, a bit of a ramble, but I do like the radio. Plus you get to hear stuff you've either forgotten or have never heard before, not to mention documentaries about music and production, and interviews with influential people.


Edited by BBBS - 9/4/12 at 12:31pm
post #7682 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBS View Post

I'd listen to KCRW if I could — they have some great live sessions and interviews, but it always feels weirder listening to music from a different timezone rather than just hearing a recording later. I used to listen to BBC Radio 1 in the evening or at night for shows like The BreezeBlock exclusive sets or Blue Jam because it's hilarious. I listen to Radio 2 in the car because hey it's easy going and has a mix of old and new. And finally I listen to 6music online because that one's just plain awesome.

 

So yeah, a bit of a ramble, but I do like the radio. Plus you get to hear stuff you've either forgotten or have never heard before, not to mention documentaries about music and production, and interviews with influential people.

 

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the UK.  Other than NPR which also carries some BBC, but mostly has random singer-songwriter starving-art-student type music, radio here tends to be the same 20 pop songs (or adult contemporary) again and again and again and again with huge 10 minute loud, obnoxious commercial blocks ever 15 minutes in between, and really annoying DJ's interspersed between every song.  Pretty much all stations otherwise are owned by either Clear Channel or Infinity, both of which just have central song mixes chosen by random computer picks at the central office and local obnoxious cookie cutter DJ's per station.  Finding something "new" on the radio on these stations would be like finding a new fashion trend in a museum evil_smiley.gif

 

What you described is the way XM Satellite used to be when I first subscribed.  It was fantastic.  After it merged with Sirius it became a pay-for version of the same 20 songs looping again and again with obnoxious DJs between.  Even the classical channel loops endlessly now....I love Rachmaninoff 2...but if I hear it one more time in a single month I'm going to scream.  A few channels have interviews and live sessions.  Sort of.  Sad, really.

 

I ammend my statement: Does anyone in the US even listen to radio anymore?  redface.gif

post #7683 of 36888

I've listened to American radio before, and a lot of UK stations have a similar structure: during the day there's an A list and a B list. As get played most frequently and Bs less so. However, there's also original programming.

 

Anyway, I'll butt out and let you get your answer :3

post #7684 of 36888

Wait, Sirius didn't keep all the XM channels on, or did those channels change structure (and why would they simply because of the merger)?

post #7685 of 36888

I thought this thread was about HD 650's. Anyway, I'm looking for an entry level tube amp to pair with my HD 650's. I currently have an O2 + ODAC but looking to experiment with the tubes. Any suggestions? 

 

My budget is around $100 - $200

post #7686 of 36888

I got a used Valhalla for 280

 

I'm sure you can look for some around the f/s forums? 

post #7687 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

I got a used Valhalla for 280

 

I'm sure you can look for some around the f/s forums? 

If you go the Valhalla route (which I really liked with the HD650 when I played with one), I'd say to be sure to get the newer version that is tube rolling capable.  While it may not be the case that you want to tube roll, it's at least nice to have the option.  That, and Jason at Schiit says the new version sounds better.

 

Also at that $280 price is the Bottlehead Crack kit.  Granted you need the gear to put it together, but if you already do.  Even then, both of those options are above $200.  I'm not aware of options as good as those two for anything cheaper.

post #7688 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Wait, Sirius didn't keep all the XM channels on, or did those channels change structure (and why would they simply because of the merger)?

 

Oh they kept them separate for a short while after the merger, but you could tell a lot of changes were taking place in the mood.  A lot of the special programs got killed right away, things got moved around, special event programming was treated as incidental.  But about 2 years ago they fully merged the two.  Both radios now have identical channel lineup and identical programming short of the "premium" talk channels that they still let you opt in or out of which ones to pay for.  The channels were merged, with the favor going to the Sirius counterpart where channels overlapped (Symphony Hall being kept in favor of XM Classics, Siriuously Sinatra in favor of High Standards, etc.)  The DJs were merged together (and most of the XM ones sent packing all together or shifted to the graveyard shifts) and the stations that had a lot of varied music (the famed deep playlists of early XM) got trimmed down to endless repeats of best of and shouting DJs on stations that used to have no DJs.)  XM is gone, it's just Sirius with an XM branding because they need to still use the old satellites.  Once the time limit is up on the old satelites they'll burn them up and launch a no single platform and get rid of the XM branding and radios.  And since they've now added a ton more premium talk channels they've squeezed the bandwidth on music channels so tight there's tremendous amounts of digital compression artifacts that make it VERY difficult to listen to on a hi-fi system.

 

XM was a great platform for audiophile music discovery.  Sirius is not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjarrett87 View Post

I thought this thread was about HD 650's. Anyway, I'm looking for an entry level tube amp to pair with my HD 650's. I currently have an O2 + ODAC but looking to experiment with the tubes. Any suggestions? 

 

My budget is around $100 - $200

 

FWIW I used to listen to XM on HD-650 all the time.  And due to the digital artifacting in the treble range, it's still the only thing I can almost tolerate listening to it on rolleyes.gif

 

O2 + ODAC is a great HD650 setup if you like cold analytical headphones.  It's surprising given how well adapted HD650 is to the "warm" presentation just how cold and analytical it can get on that setup.  Some people like that sort of thing and pay in the extreme for it (Phonitor/Auditor), but for me it's not what the HD650 is made of.  I can hardly stand it.

 

The cheapest tube amp I can think of is the Little Dot Mk1.  I can't think of much else with tubes at that price point.   If you can stretch the budget and find a used Schiit Valhalla I think you'd be in for a bigger treat though.  Personally I think they're phenominal on the Lyr (disclaimer: I have tubes that cost near the low point on your amp budget, but until I heard those I thought it was phenominal on the stock tubes as well.) I haven't personally heard Valhalla, but I suspect it's an excellent match for HD650 as well (Jason at Schiit personally preferred Lyr when I asked, which is why I bought it, but it's mostly a choice of flavor.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post

If you go the Valhalla route (which I really liked with the HD650 when I played with one), I'd say to be sure to get the newer version that is tube rolling capable.  While it may not be the case that you want to tube roll, it's at least nice to have the option.  That, and Jason at Schiit says the new version sounds better.

 

Also at that $280 price is the Bottlehead Crack kit.  Granted you need the gear to put it together, but if you already do.  Even then, both of those options are above $200.  I'm not aware of options as good as those two for anything cheaper.

+1, the Valhalla would be excllent with the new version that allows tube rolling.  That said, both a new Valhalla, Lyr, and Crack are above the requested budget....still I agree with you and would say holding out for a used one of those three would be the best bet.  No reason blowing $200 on something that won't satisfy when something for $350 new (and less used) will!  I'd save up and watch the FS forums.

post #7689 of 36888

I have never tried tube rolling before, but I think its something I will get into once I get a amp I know I am going to keep. I have been considering either the Lyr or Valhalla. From my take on what has been said in the last few pages it dont seem like you can go wrong with either. I have been leaning towards the Lyr for the simple reason I think my next venture in headphones is going to be into the Planar side of things. From what I have read, the Lyr is about the best option for that, plus it works well for the HD650. 

 

Between the Lyr and Valhalla what one do you think has better options for tube rolling? 

post #7690 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmoday View Post

I have never tried tube rolling before, but I think its something I will get into once I get a amp I know I am going to keep. I have been considering either the Lyr or Valhalla. From my take on what has been said in the last few pages it dont seem like you can go wrong with either. I have been leaning towards the Lyr for the simple reason I think my next venture in headphones is going to be into the Planar side of things. From what I have read, the Lyr is about the best option for that, plus it works well for the HD650. 

 

Between the Lyr and Valhalla what one do you think has better options for tube rolling? 

 

Can't go wrong with HD650 + Lyr, it's a great combo.  Works great with HE-400 planars too (and is famed for synergy with Audeze cans.)  HE-6 is the only planar it's only so-so with.  It works, and works well enough, but the HE-6 tends to like a little bit more.  Otherwise it's a great amp for any other planar and HD650!  And I'll still use my HE-6 with it from time to time to play with my tubes biggrin.gif

 

Both Lyr & Valhalla use the same input signal tubes so there aren't better rolling options there.  The Valhalla also uses output signal tubes, however, so obviously you get a bit more mix & match available between the 6N1P and 6N6P combination than just the 6N1P on the input.   But if you're thinking of adding planars to the mix, Valhalla's out of the mix, Lyr would be the way to go.  And it's a darned nice amp for HD650 with some nice tubes!

post #7691 of 36888

Thanks IEMCrazy.

 

Would you recommend the GE-6BZ7 or the JJ-E88CC to get with it for stock tubes? Seems now you can get either when you buy the amp, just not sure what one works best with the HD650. Sorry for the dumb questions but I never changed a tube in my life. I always just ran what they came with. I think this will be a amp that will be with me for quite sometime and I will get some additional ones down the road. 

post #7692 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post


Can only agree - there's a reason why all mainstream music sounds the same.

 

It needs to be snappy and catchy enough to catch people's attention, and it needs to play in the 1000-10.000 Hz range where even the radio at you local burger can play it ok.

 

Then there's another problem - when serious artist try to do real music that sound good on mid-range system we with our high-end systems actually suffer. Because something that was mid-range focused suddenly becomes bass-heavy when presented with a system that actually is able to produce that bass 100%.

 

Which is why I'm a big fan of EQ'ing. Not out of disrespect for the artist but OUT OF respect for the artist - wrap your heads around that one. cool.gif

The album 33 & 1/3 by John Farnham was mastered on Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 1 speakers. It sounds incredible on those speakers, but really average on almost everything else! So many albums are ruined by attempts to make it play well on everything or by mastering with a particular signature set of speakers/cans.

 

As a traditionally non-EQ person, I have to agree TwoEars that I'm now coming around to EQing just to replace <40Hz frequencies and a tiny boost around 60Hz too.

 

What are your "fixing bad mastering" EQ settings?


Edited by Loquah - 9/6/12 at 10:14pm
post #7693 of 36888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

The album 33 & 1/3 by John Farnham was mastered on Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 1 speakers. It sounds incredible on those speakers, but really average on almost everything else! So many albums are ruined by attempts to make it play well on everything or by mastering with a particular signature set of speakers/cans.

 

As a traditionally non-EQ person, I have to agree TwoEars that I'm now coming around to EQing just to replace <40Hz frequencies and a tiny boost around 60Hz too.

 

What are your "fixing bad mastering" EQ settings?

 

Whatever you think is an improvement - lol rolleyes.gif

 

The real problem with bad master's is that they can be bad in so many different ways that we can't do anything about; sloppy fade-in, fade-out. crackling sounds, background noises, clipping, uneven stereo-perspective or just something as basic as the artist not using proper breathing technique and spitting/hissing all over the mic!

 

Usually whenever you have a seasoned artist there's usually quite a progression in skill between his earlier more enthusiastic efforts and his later more measured performances... not that the earlier works can be more fun over all but that's another matter.

 

So - we're pretty helpless really - about all the adjustment we can make is if we think there is excessive or lacking bass and if maybe the highs are to smoothed over or fierce. Not much to play with in the grand scheme of things.

 

With the HD650 I give it a 3db bass boost for electronica and and maybe -3db bass for classical. That's about it really, the midrange is already great. Perhaps some people will want a little more top end zing for classical and jazz as well but I'm fine really.

 

Overall the HD650 and HD600 don't need much fiddling, they do well with most music straight out of the box.

 

But don't be shy - go crazy if you feel like it. It can be fun to play around and see how badly you can make things sound just for the heck of it basshead.gif


Edited by TwoEars - 9/7/12 at 1:00am
post #7694 of 36888

Hey guys check out this troll review of the HD 650 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-650-headphones/reviews/7422

post #7695 of 36888

*shrugs* 

 

Its not going to be a headphone that fits everyone's taste. 

 

I guess I'm just lucky that I love it lol 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread