or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 504

post #7546 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Why havn't you tried the HE-400s yet?  I was in the same boat as you.  I wanted an HD650 with adequate sub-bass, and the HE-400 provided that.

Really? Are they as good? I'm asking mostly because of the fact that i can get either of them for $400. Oh, and what amp should i use? My source is a computer (no dedicated sound card), Galaxy s3 and an ipad. And my budget for an amp is <$150 as well

post #7547 of 37370

I quite enjoy them out of the O2, but you might want a dac as well.

 

They were that good for me.  HD650 didn't impress me too much, but I couldn't find any major faults with it either besides the lack of sub-bass.  Any other can I could list numerous major faults.

post #7548 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I quite enjoy them out of the O2, but you might want a dac as well.

 

They were that good for me.  HD650 didn't impress me too much, but I couldn't find any major faults with it either besides the lack of sub-bass.  Any other can I could list numerous major faults.

How are they with just an E17 then? Because my two choices are an O2 or an E17, though i hear the o2 is better quality wise, but the E17 has a DAC inside.

post #7549 of 37370

You're likely just better off getting the E17 since it comes with the dac.  Wouldn't want to run the risk of using your computer as a source.

 

There probably isn't much difference between the two, and any difference you'll probably hear on head-fi is likely hyperbole.

post #7550 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

You don't even have to buy the HE-400s.  Just order them from head-direct and take advantage of their 30 day return policy.

 

I never really liked the HD650's rendition of double bass either, as well as a couple other instruments, so it fails for me on acoustical at points too.

 

What is the point of that? If I want to own the HE-400 then I will need to buy them lol.

post #7551 of 37370

To at least know if they're right for you.

post #7552 of 37370

Hmm I guess but it will be annoying if they are perfect for me because I will then be stuck with some lesser headphones and wont be able to enjoy them because I will be thinking "meh this would be better on the HE-400"...

 

At least if I try the IE80 and they suit me then I can actually afford them.

 

I Know that you shouldnt judge on FR graphs but the upper midrange on the HE-400 looks ridiculously recessed.


Edited by nicholars - 8/21/12 at 2:48pm
post #7553 of 37370

You say the 650 is new. Connect it to your music source< stick in a drawer for a Month and see what difference it makes.The headphone is like a motorcar ,it has to be run in.!!

post #7554 of 37370

Can anyone compare the HD650 and the IE80?

post #7555 of 37370

Isn't the IE80 like 400 dollars as well?  If you try out the HE-400 and like it over the HD650, you can always sell the HD650.  No amount of burn-in will change a lack of sub-bass on the HD650, if burn-in exists to begin with.

post #7556 of 37370

No in the UK the HE-400 cost £400 and I can get the IE80 for £170 so it is quite a big difference... More than double the price.

post #7557 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Hmm I guess but it will be annoying if they are perfect for me because I will then be stuck with some lesser headphones and wont be able to enjoy them because I will be thinking "meh this would be better on the HE-400"...

At least if I try the IE80 and they suit me then I can actually afford them.

I Know that you shouldnt judge on FR graphs but the upper midrange on the HE-400 looks ridiculously recessed.
I prefer the HD650 to the HE-400. The HE-400 has pretty high distortion.
post #7558 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix View Post


I prefer the HD650 to the HE-400. The HE-400 has pretty high distortion.

What do you mean by that? I've been considering selling my pro 900s to get the he-400s to use alongside my hd650s.

post #7559 of 37370

Its total harmonic distortion is a tad high, resulting in a higher noise floor than other headphones, meaning a less black background.  It's not to the point of any serious detrimental concern, though.  Detail, instrument separation and timbre accuracy are all still great.

post #7560 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Its total harmonic distortion is a tad high, resulting in a higher noise floor than other headphones, meaning a less black background.  It's not to the point of any serious detrimental concern, though.  Detail, instrument separation and timbre accuracy are all still great.

It has a few peaks above 1% and into 2% in the treble.
This may sound like a small amount, but that's actually like -20-40dB or so, so like a fifth (on average) as loud as the input signal, which is loud as ****
Edited by PelPix - 8/21/12 at 11:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread