or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 455

post #6811 of 36851

I'd say that at this price point (<200$) it is very hard to find a DAC that has an adequate output stage for a chip it uses. The FiiO E10 and other sub 100$ DACs with a WM8470 chip are a prime example.

post #6812 of 36851
Always wanted some of these and I finally found a mint used pair on here. Got them today and haven't taken them off. Absolutely brilliant. So comfortable and they suit my tastes perfectly. Im waiting on an O2+ODAC combo to arrive so I can really take them for a run but on my Sansa Clip+ they sound great.
post #6813 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post

I'll be able to tell you in about a week! (and i'm using an e7 right now so it's nearly exactly what you'll be doing)

Hi bleudeciel16, thanks and will wait for your reply. Anyway, I know that a lot have been discussed regarding the bitfrost/asgard in the thread but having 450+ pages to go thru is quite tough with me not having the luxury of time. Would appreciate some insights from anyone that have the experience with them. Many thanks.

post #6814 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonO View Post

I got the JDS Labs ODAC PCB yesterday, and soldiered on some RCA cables today.  I'm using my 650's via a speedball Bottlehead Crack.  So far this DAC sounds great.  I don't consider myself to have golden ear's, I do hear differences here and there.  Mostly DAC's so far for me fall into 2 categories, Fatiguing or Non-fatiging.  My current DAC is the Audio-gd Fun, with which I've used AD1802, WM8470 and WM8471. The Wolfson's are non-fatiguing with the 8741 having the edge. That AD chip was painful. The ESS chip in the ODAC is very clear and detailed, and is in my non-fatiguing class.  To me it's a lot like the WM8741, I doubt I could tell them apart in an blind test.  In my opinion, those shopping for a DAC could find a great value in the ODAC. It does what a DAC should do, disappear and let me enjoy the music, 

BINGO, fatiguing versus not fatiguing are the two things I most quickly identify with a different DAC as well.  I doubt I could ABX an iPod from a Burson at all, but I know that Bifrost, and even iiPod aren't fatigguing to me, while EMU-0404 and Pure i-20 are quite fatiguing.  I agree completely.

post #6815 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

BINGO, fatiguing versus not fatiguing are the two things I most quickly identify with a different DAC as well.  I doubt I could ABX an iPod from a Burson at all, but I know that Bifrost, and even iiPod aren't fatigguing to me, while EMU-0404 and Pure i-20 are quite fatiguing.  I agree completely.

 

It is possible to test listening fatigue blind, and has been done already, but it obviously needs to be performed over a longer period of time (e.g. a few weeks). It is also quite plausible that listening fatigue can be affected by placebo effects: imagine listening to the exact same sound worried all the time about non-existing flaws (grainy treble or whatever) vs. listening relaxed in the knowledge that the gear is fine and actually focusing on the music. I have even seen people claiming fatigue vs. non-fatigue caused by cables. But if there is indeed a real difference, it would be interesting to find out what is the actual reason behind it (for example, different filtering ?).

post #6816 of 36851
Hi guys, first post in this thread. I'm kind of new to high quality audio, but I've had a pair of Sennheiser IE80 for a few months now with a Fiio e17, and let me say the sound is nothing short of phenominal.

However I'm looking to make the next big step in audio equipment and quality. I want full size cans and these HD650 look like a good fit. Price is decent, plenty if glowing reviews, etc.

So how would someone coming from the IE80 to this find it? Will it blow me away or would it just be an incremental upgrade? I would imagine the soundstage may be noticeably bigger right?

Sent from my Desire HD
post #6817 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Hi guys, first post in this thread. I'm kind of new to high quality audio, but I've had a pair of Sennheiser IE80 for a few months now with a Fiio e17, and let me say the sound is nothing short of phenominal.
However I'm looking to make the next big step in audio equipment and quality. I want full size cans and these HD650 look like a good fit. Price is decent, plenty if glowing reviews, etc.
So how would someone coming from the IE80 to this find it? Will it blow me away or would it just be an incremental upgrade? I would imagine the soundstage may be noticeably bigger right?
Sent from my Desire HD

I can't say for sure as I've never heard IE80s or any other IEMs in their price range (heck they cost more than what I paid for my 650s!) but I don't think the 650s could be technically worse as they are full cans vs. IEMs. Would you be amping the 650s from the E17?

post #6818 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

I can't say for sure as I've never heard IE80s or any other IEMs in their price range (heck they cost more than what I paid for my 650s!) but I don't think the 650s could be technically worse as they are full cans vs. IEMs. Would you be amping the 650s from the E17?

 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the sound from the HD650 doesn't match up to the IE80. The IE80 are top of the line IEMs, and retail for about $450. But im looking for a different type of music experience that can't be had with IEMs.

 

But anyway i certainly would not amp them from the E17, i would buy a better amp. But that doesnt matter right now, i first need to pick a headphone. Im also looking at the HD700 which should be an upgrade from the HD650 if you factor in the price difference. Just waiting on more impressions.

post #6819 of 36851
First of all IEMss are simply very different from full sized cans, so it's difficult to compare fidelity.
Most people prefer the sound of full sized cans over IEMs, in most cases even CIEMs.

Chances are fairly big that the HD650 will sound better than the IE80, but it's hard to predict since I haven't heard the IE80, and also because as I said before it's difficult to compare them.
I think it's safer to buy something in the price class of the HD650. If you don't like it then your losses are smaller than those if you were to buy a more high-end can. If you do like the HD650 you can always sell it with a small loss and upgrade from there.
post #6820 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

 

It is possible to test listening fatigue blind, and has been done already, but it obviously needs to be performed over a longer period of time (e.g. a few weeks). It is also quite plausible that listening fatigue can be affected by placebo effects: imagine listening to the exact same sound worried all the time about non-existing flaws (grainy treble or whatever) vs. listening relaxed in the knowledge that the gear is fine and actually focusing on the music. I have even seen people claiming fatigue vs. non-fatigue caused by cables. But if there is indeed a real difference, it would be interesting to find out what is the actual reason behind it (for example, different filtering ?).

 

Interesting that fatigue has been blind tested.  We were talking about fatigue from DACs a few pages ago.  In my case, I know with certainty the phenomenon is real since my "blind testing" wasn't a blind test focusing on listening for differences, but was just a matter of living with different DACs for periods of time listening to music, and finding that I more often needed to stop the music when living with some versus others.  It took me a long time to realize the DAC may be to blame even, I thought it was amps and speakers/cans!.  With some I can't get through a whole album without either losing interest or or just getting irritated or uncomfortable from it.  The same DAC was powering the HD650's and my full speakers, which both had the same fatigue effect,0 and was "blind" since it was physically located behind me out of sight, and was over spans of months/years.   It's not good enough for science, but I know. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Hi guys, first post in this thread. I'm kind of new to high quality audio, but I've had a pair of Sennheiser IE80 for a few months now with a Fiio e17, and let me say the sound is nothing short of phenominal.
However I'm looking to make the next big step in audio equipment and quality. I want full size cans and these HD650 look like a good fit. Price is decent, plenty if glowing reviews, etc.
So how would someone coming from the IE80 to this find it? Will it blow me away or would it just be an incremental upgrade? I would imagine the soundstage may be noticeably bigger right?
Sent from my Desire HD

 

IEMs in general tend to be very different, though Sennheiser IEMs are among the very few high-end IEMs using dynamic drivers, so the differences may not be as severe.  Most IEMs in that price range use balanced armature drivers which are hyper-detailed along with the very best in headphones, but they fall short in presentation compared to full headphones.  Senns are dynamic and ported so there's more in common.

 

One thing with HD650 is it's unique, even in the Senn lineup.  It has a warm, smooth, laid back sound, where the IE8/IE80 will have more of the linear flat sound of HD600, HD700.  That's just sound signature though, not presentation.  But if you're looking for the same linear sound, HD600 or HD700 would be more similar.  If you're looking for something different, HD650 is fantastic.  FWIW, my Shure SE535 IEMs have more of the sound signature of HD650 to my ears....warm, more lush mids, somewhat rolled off treble.  But without the great HD650 "air" which would be impossible for a BA IEM.

 

If you want something that's really similar to the IE80 sound, generally flat, slightly fun, with more bass presence, something like the HiFiMan HE-400 may suit you better. The full size Sennheiser cans are all about refined neutrality, and 650 steps a bit outside that with a lusher colored midrange over the neutrality.   Some call it boring versus the "fun" curves or "v" shaped FRs that have more bass and treble and a somewhat recessed mid.

 

Versus IEMs you'd likely find HD650 to have somewhat less detail (detail comes easy to IEMs since they need move very little air) but a bigger soundstage, more "realism" or more "speaker-like", and a more open-air feeling to the sound. I love my IEMs but there's nothing like real headphones!

post #6821 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

First of all IEMss are simply very different from full sized cans, so it's difficult to compare fidelity.
Most people prefer the sound of full sized cans over IEMs, in most cases even CIEMs.
Chances are fairly big that the HD650 will sound better than the IE80, but it's hard to predict since I haven't heard the IE80, and also because as I said before it's difficult to compare them.
I think it's safer to buy something in the price class of the HD650. If you don't like it then your losses are smaller than those if you were to buy a more high-end can. If you do like the HD650 you can always sell it with a small loss and upgrade from there.

Or return it...unless you prefer to have more than 30 days to judge "keep or sell?"

post #6822 of 36851

you can't beat the comfort of these headphones.

 

my old 595's are more comfy for sure, but that's just because they were cheaper plastic so they weighed less, and they didn't clamp as hard either.  once my 650's break in, i'm sure they'll clamp less. (it's still not enough to bug me but i know a lot of people who're sensitive to that might get headaches or whatnot)

post #6823 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post

you can't beat the comfort of these headphones.

 

my old 595's are more comfy for sure, but that's just because they were cheaper plastic so they weighed less, and they didn't clamp as hard either.  once my 650's break in, i'm sure they'll clamp less. (it's still not enough to bug me but i know a lot of people who're sensitive to that might get headaches or whatnot)

The best cure for HD650 clamping force is the purchase of HiFiMan or Audeze headphones.  One will never complain about HD650 clamping again.... basshead.gif

post #6824 of 36851

Funny and true.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

The best cure for HD650 clamping force is the purchase of HiFiMan or Audeze headphones.  One will never complain about HD650 clamping again.... basshead.gif

post #6825 of 36851
I always failed to see how people can experience clamping issues with this headphone. Maybe my head is just small, but I think the comfort of these things is just majestic.
Only bad thing is that they get kinda uncomfortable when I lean over to read a book/piece of paper on my desk. As a result I have gotten used to turning on the speakers whenever I want to read a book.
Edited by Tilpo - 5/29/12 at 12:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread