or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 429

post #6421 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

To anyone with a Nuforce HDP or HD where do you keep the volume at while listening to the 650s?



Around 1 o'clock. When I use it feed by my Logitech SqueezeBox Touch I leave it at 3 o'clock and the SB Touch at around 75 so I have some headroom volume to play with for quieter songs.

post #6422 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

To anyone with a Nuforce HDP or HD where do you keep the volume at while listening to the 650s?

About 10 or 11 o'clock for most things.  Certain classical recordings will require me to turn it to about 1 or 2, but I rarely go any higher than that.
 

 

post #6423 of 36890

Dang, I must be deaf. You guys all keep your volume low! I never have mine below 12 o'clock!

post #6424 of 36890

I always keep my volume level at least one level below what I feel is normal. It never hurts to lower your volume level and considering all of us audiophiles are spending hours each and every day using headphones we should all be extra mindful of the harm of loud , continual sound can cause.

 

The HD650 is one of those very rare headphones that doesn't suffer from low volume the way that many "in your face" headphones do. I can have my HD650 at a very low , quiet level and the detail is still fantastic. Of course a high quality amp and dac will significantly effect this to a degree but I just think the HD650 excels for low volume listening.

 

The only time I turn up my volume is for certain games and never for longer than an hour. 

post #6425 of 36890

Huh. Well considering I have spent hours at concerts gripping the grills of the front speakers and having my insides shaken in pleasant rhythmic sensations, I think Im probably gonna need that volume kick for the rest of my days.

post #6426 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post

I always keep my volume level at least one level below what I feel is normal. It never hurts to lower your volume level and considering all of us audiophiles are spending hours each and every day using headphones we should all be extra mindful of the harm of loud , continual sound can cause.

 

The HD650 is one of those very rare headphones that doesn't suffer from low volume the way that many "in your face" headphones do. I can have my HD650 at a very low , quiet level and the detail is still fantastic. Of course a high quality amp and dac will significantly effect this to a degree but I just think the HD650 excels for low volume listening.

 

The only time I turn up my volume is for certain games and never for longer than an hour. 

That is a good idea, I used to have my volume at around 1 but I don't want to risk damage and now I keep it at about 11
 

 

post #6427 of 36890
I don't think pot positions mean anything unless you're comparing exactly the same amp and headphones.
If I have my amp at 11 O'clock the music is very loud. It depends on the loudness of the recording, the DAC and the amp.

Maybe it's because I have configured replaygain in such a way that most music is about 10dB below clipping.
post #6428 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I don't think pot positions mean anything unless you're comparing exactly the same amp and headphones.
If I have my amp at 11 O'clock the music is very loud. It depends on the loudness of the recording, the DAC and the amp.
Maybe it's because I have configured replaygain in such a way that most music is about 10dB below clipping.


The original question was posed to owners of the NuForce HDP or HD who used it with the HD 650.  The comparison was between the same DAC, amp, and headphones.

post #6429 of 36890

I'm not really the biggest fan of using the HD650 for trance. The phone is a bit slow for me when I listen to trance.

post #6430 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2587 View Post



The original question was posed to owners of the NuForce HDP or HD who used it with the HD 650.  The comparison was between the same DAC, amp, and headphones.
I thought some other people were just randomly commenting without using the NuForce HDP, but that might be my mistake.

Still, the loudness of the recording remains a big factor.
post #6431 of 36890

I love the HD-650 but havnt listened to them since I got my LCD-2 rev 1s

 

post #6432 of 36890

Hey guys, it's Mushroom again...Finally got my pair of HD 650 and Schitt Bifrost dac & Asgard amp.  I don't know if it's me but with the headphones plugged into the dac/amp and with the headphone directly connected to my iMac, it sounds pretty much the same.  I also have a cheapy pair of in ear headphones that came with my windows phone 7.  With the in ear directly connected to the computer and with the HD 650 in directly, I can tell the difference, the in ear sounds muffle and not as clean, so I guess that part seems correct.  

 

The connection from the Mac to the dac is through toslink.  Maybe I just can't hear the difference between amp and no amp.

post #6433 of 36890

It's impossible, or this amp is useless. But all the rave reviews around here show that it's a very good sound amp. The cheap headphone jack in your mac couldn't hold a candle against even a decent amp, so a good sounding amp should bury it in the ground. At least that's what happens to all the cheap amps I test against my LaFigaro 339!

post #6434 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecaster View Post

It's impossible, or this amp is useless. But all the rave reviews around here show that it's a very good sound amp. The cheap headphone jack in your mac couldn't hold a candle against even a decent amp, so a good sounding amp should bury it in the ground. At least that's what happens to all the cheap amps I test against my LaFigaro 339!



Everybody has different ears, not everyone will hear a difference.

post #6435 of 36890

Quote:

Originally Posted by MushyMushroom View Post

Maybe I just can't hear the difference between amp and no amp.


If you can't, consider yourself fortunate.  You'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread