or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 394

post #5896 of 36857

If you really want to save for them the 700 is the way to go but with the discounts you canfind online for the 650's you cant go wrong I own them and couldn't be happier. 

post #5897 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddtfan View Post

If you really want to save for them the 800700 is the way to go but with the discounts you canfind online for the 650's you cant go wrong I own them and couldn't be happier. 


Fixed popcorn.gif

post #5898 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddtfan View Post

If you really want to save for them the 009 800 700 is the way to go but with the discounts you canfind online for the 650's you cant go wrong I own them and couldn't be happier. 


Fixed yet again.o2smile.gif
post #5899 of 36857

I am not an amp afficianado by any stretch, but my HD650s sound fantastic through the LD MK IV -- especially now that i have tried a little bit of tube rolling.

 

I run them at gain 5 and there is plenty of power to drive these babies.  I find a comfortable listening level to be at about 30, up to 50 is quite loud and, truthfully, beyond that gets to what I consider to be dangerously loud.  I have, for short periods, gone all the way up to like 80 or 90 and while the headphones get ridiculously loud, there I don't find a hint of distortion.

 

 

post #5900 of 36857

I read that the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2 and Sennheiser HD-650 with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable combination are quite a synergistic match together. Next week, I am going to find out if that is true or not. I will report my listening impressions after passing the 100, 200, 300, and 400 hour burn in periods.

post #5901 of 36857
HD800 and HD650 sounds very different, and of course not many (if at all) have heard of the HD700. It's silly to "upgrade" by simply going to a larger model number like you do for a computer processor. LCD-2 is closer to HD650 than HD800, even then they are quite different.
post #5902 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post

HD800 and HD650 sounds very different, and of course not many (if at all) have heard of the HD700. It's silly to "upgrade" by simply going to a larger model number like you do for a computer processor. LCD-2 is closer to HD650 than HD800, even then they are quite different.
That may be so, but I am quite convinced that it was established by the ones who have heard the HD 700 that it was worth the money. Additionally they have already given out some fairly detailed reviews with reproducible descriptions of the headphone's sound signature.
You should however still read the thread concerning the HD 700, as well as those of other headphones in the same price range, to get some idea of whether they will really be worth it for yourself.
post #5903 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post

HD800 and HD650 sounds very different, and of course not many (if at all) have heard of the HD700. It's silly to "upgrade" by simply going to a larger model number like you do for a computer processor. LCD-2 is closer to HD650 than HD800, even then they are quite different.


I own the HD 650 and the HD 800 and I *have* heard the HD 700 (side by side with the HD 800 with the same source material and the same (Grace m903) amplifier).

 

After you have heard the HD 800, I don't think you would want the HD 700 - but the 700 does sit firmly between the 650 and 800 in sound quality (as well as price).

 

The 700 is a little warmer and a little brighter than the 800 (the 800 is absolutely neutral and revealing) and it's not so open and revealing as the 800 - bit, then, it is £400 cheaper.

 

post #5904 of 36857

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDappleman View Post

So from reading this thread I've come to the conclusion for the amp to be either:

Schiit Valhalla
Schiit Lyr

Crack 

 

From these 3 which would give the best sound quality for the HD650 while using the E17 as a DAC? Is the Lyr justify the price completely over the Valhalla? I really want to get into Tubes so i'm leaning towards Valhalla but I keep getting lots of mixed reviews for all. 


I went to the Bay Area, CA meet earlier this month with the goal of finding something to drive my HD650 and not break the bank.  Schiit was one of the vendors on-hand, and I listened to all three of their amps.  I felt that the Asgard was decent, I loved the Valhalla, and the Lyr was somewhere between the two.  (I presume this was all with stock tubes.)  The guy from Schiit (Jason Stoddard, one of their founders) said he wasn't surprised that I liked the Valhalla the most with the HD650...

 

... and then I got to reading about the Crack and really liked what I was reading, so I figured to take a chance and order it.  So that's where I personally stand right now... my order is in, I'm waiting for the kit, and I'll build it when it shows up.

 

From what I've read, it seems that the Lyr would good be a good option as well... just with different tubes.  So to sum things up, from what I know you'd be fine with any one of 'em.

post #5905 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


That may be so, but I am quite convinced that it was established by the ones who have heard the HD 700 that it was worth the money. Additionally they have already given out some fairly detailed reviews with reproducible descriptions of the headphone's sound signature.
You should however still read the thread concerning the HD 700, as well as those of other headphones in the same price range, to get some idea of whether they will really be worth it for yourself.


 

I don't think you are getting my point. It's not a matter of whether the HD700 is worth the money or whether it is good or not.

 

While the HD700 may well be technically better, if you are in the audio long enough you'd know that the "better" things are not necessarily better for every system and taste. Many "upgraded" K501 to K701 and are disappointed. Many still prefer HD650 over HD800, heck there are plenty who prefer HD600 over HD650 even though in the grand scheme of things they are not that far apart.

 

Without knowing the particular sound preference it isn't audio wisdom to just recommend a bigger model number for someone less experienced (I assume, since HD650 isn't exactly new)). One gotta decide what kind of sound one is after. While in some cases (like Grado) one can generally say get the highest end model that one can afford like computers or cars, it isn't always true for every brand.

post #5906 of 36857

Good point on sound preferences.  I had an Asgard and sent it back.  It was thin, bright and lacking in bass

on my HD650's.  To be fair, I did wonder if something was wrong with it because folks kept talking about

how hot it should run...and even after being on for hours, it was just warm to the touch...none of this "I could

hardly touch the volume knob" stuff.

 

Still, my 650's sound wonderful with a el84 based OTL head amp.  I don't use them as a critical device, I use

them for pleasure and relaxation.

regards,

Hibuck....

post #5907 of 36857

I thought warmer = more smeared mids/midbass and more rolled of highs the warmer you went...??
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post



I own the HD 650 and the HD 800 and I *have* heard the HD 700 (side by side with the HD 800 with the same source material and the same (Grace m903) amplifier).

 

After you have heard the HD 800, I don't think you would want the HD 700 - but the 700 does sit firmly between the 650 and 800 in sound quality (as well as price).

 

The 700 is a little warmer and a little brighter than the 800 (the 800 is absolutely neutral and revealing) and it's not so open and revealing as the 800 - bit, then, it is £400 cheaper.

 



 

post #5908 of 36857

Havent been hearing much about the NuForce HDP lately. I love my HD650s with it! Still working on getting a linear power supply for it. I am looking to get a tube amp soon as well just to try. Anyone else out there still rockin an HPD and liking it?

post #5909 of 36857

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Havent been hearing much about the NuForce HDP lately. I love my HD650s with it! Still working on getting a linear power supply for it. I am looking to get a tube amp soon as well just to try. Anyone else out there still rockin an HPD and liking it?


I have a NuForce ICON HDP that I use with my HD 650s and I enjoy it.  I lack the substantial experience and/or knowledge base with DACs/amps to really understand whether or not it's a good pairing, but it doesn't sound terribly different from the ASUS Xonar Essence ST it replaced.  From what I've read though, it seems that the HDP is a better DAC than it is an amp.

 

I've also been looking at tube amps since I see "Senns love tubes!" repeated so often in different places around here.  So far I've been looking at the Schiit Lyr, but I'm kind of afraid it will fry my lower impedance cans.

post #5910 of 36857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2587 View Post

I've also been looking at tube amps since I see "Senns love tubes!" repeated so often in different places around here.  So far I've been looking at the Schiit Lyr, but I'm kind of afraid it will fry my lower impedance cans.


Yeah, if you have cans that are easier to power like Denons or Audio Technicas, you probably don't want a Lyr as an amp for everything.  Many stories of how the powerful Lyr has damaged lower impedance cans. 

 

I use my Elekit TU-882AS tube amp with my HD650's and great enjoy the added warmth it provides to their mids.  Plenty of power too as I use it mainly on the lowest impedance setting, though I haven't tried powering more power hungry headphones.  It is a pretty obscure amp built from a kit (pcb assembled or full on DIY kit) that a user here, vkung, sells out of British Columbia. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread