or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 378

post #5656 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post



Very awesome. I think cables make a sound quality difference, but to each his own. Good thing you are enjoying your HD650's. L3000.gif



 Nah these were not mine Austin they belonged to a mate who knew deep down he could convert me over

 to appreciation ~ he succeeded! I've always objectively dug these cans but being a treblehead at heart

 they just never enticed me enough, but it's worth sending the message out with these ~ cables, good

 ones do make a difference with these above and beyond any other can I've heard with swapped out

 headphone cables. Simply because the stock cable is a bit of a compromise, but hey that's just

 my view but I've yet to meet someone who after hearing a HD650+ cable combo off a top source say

 

 'Nah mate, no difference'.

post #5657 of 36903

What you get from the HD650 is the sum of all the components in your chain. Some of you seem fixated on amps, when in my experience the DAC can have just as significant, if not more so, an impact on the end result.

 

To those also fixated with the HD650's treble - I'd suggest you go out of your way to hear this headphone from a Schiit Bifrost. I'd also recommend some nice Amperex tubes in between.

post #5658 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooTa View Post

the newer versions of the HD650 are much better than the older versions of a few years ago - thus the veil that you have read about is barely there at all - and is nowadays more called veil when infact its just newer buyers not having a clue between mids and treble due to so much of nowadays music being mid light and treble heavy...



You guys absolutely sure about it? My hd650 is from 2005 so if I go out and buy a new version, will it be considerably brighter?

post #5659 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarek99 View Post



You guys absolutely sure about it? My hd650 is from 2005 so if I go out and buy a new version, will it be considerably brighter?



Does your HD650's have the silver driver screening cast or the older black screening cast?

post #5660 of 36903

I was bored pooping around on Picasa, spent about 3 minutes playing around with the image and... voila!

 

Dwight trapped_Mar262010_0021-002.jpg

post #5661 of 36903

Does anyone else think the HD650s sound absolutely perfectly matched for music by the Carpenters?

post #5662 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post



Does your HD650's have the silver driver screening cast or the older black screening cast?



Black.

post #5663 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandrkg View Post

I was bored pooping around on Picasa, spent about 3 minutes playing around with the image and... voila!

 

 

 

What an adorable setup! Very cool!
 

 

post #5664 of 36903

Hey guys, I'm currently using an LCD-3 as my main headphone but am seriously thinking of picking up a HD650 as I've got a great  price on a good second hand unit. Do you guys think I would still be able to enjoy the HD 650s after the LCD-3s?

post #5665 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl1dyl View Post

Hey guys, I'm currently using an LCD-3 as my main headphone but am seriously thinking of picking up a HD650 as I've got a great  price on a good second hand unit. Do you guys think I would still be able to enjoy the HD 650s after the LCD-3s?



 If it's dirt cheap then why not just for the experience but I can also see you being quite disappointed, maybe, maybe not.

 

 If it's under $250 then go for it.

post #5666 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post



 If it's dirt cheap then why not just for the experience but I can also see you being quite disappointed, maybe, maybe not.

 

 If it's under $250 then go for it.

 

Yup, below $200. Actually, would you say a HD-600 or HD-650 would be more different from an LCD-2?
 

 

post #5667 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl1dyl View Post

 

Yup, below $200. Actually, would you say a HD-600 or HD-650 would be more different from an LCD-2?
 

 



 HD-600 for sure ~ the HD650 and LCD2/3 share that same lush signature, the HD600 is a bit more lively and

 less laid back. However, some can argue that the HD650 has a fuller sonic signature, much like the difference

 between the LCD2 and LCD3 ~ The 3' just sounds almost speaker like to me, it's a big sonic presentation.

 

 If you're after a fairly neutral Sennheiser sound then the HD600 fits the bill.

post #5668 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post



 HD-600 for sure ~ the HD650 and LCD2/3 share that same lush signature, the HD600 is a bit more lively and

 less laid back. However, some can argue that the HD650 has a fuller sonic signature, much like the difference

 between the LCD2 and LCD3 ~ The 3' just sounds almost speaker like to me, it's a big sonic presentation.

 

 If you're after a fairly neutral Sennheiser sound then the HD600 fits the bill.


Haha, okay. Thanks for the advice, HD 600 it is then. Yup, I absolutely agree. The LCD-3s when run off a good source and decent amp are just breathtaking

 

post #5669 of 36903


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post


I agree the HD650 has much better bass - there's much more of it and therefore you really feel it.  I think the DT880 bass is more precise/distinct, but less.  Overall it feels like the HD650 bass goes lower (but not sure how much of that is due to quantity).  The mids on HD650 are fuller and smoother.  The treble is very much there on the 650's, but not at all overly prominent.   I would say it's got a great balanced sound, though on some recordings that midbass boost could be a bit much if you're sensitive to bass.

 

I'd say the DT880's have balanced/neutral mids and bass, but more prominent treble - so some differences in our assessment there.

 

I did fairly extensive listening (coincidentally) last night with both cans on both my Crack w/Speedball and EF-5.

 

The EF-5/DT880 combo was what I would say is the closest/most convincing to making me feel like I'm right there, live.  Everything is so distinct, sounds are separated and airy.  

 

The EF-5/HD650 sounds great, but more like a beautifully produced recording (vs live).  Everything is blended together (which is pleasant, though less airy).


The Crack adds more smoothness and warmth to both cans.  Overall, I prefer it by a bit to the EF-5.

 

Between the DT880 and HD650 on the Crack, it's mostly mood/recording dependent, but in most cases I'd go with the HD650.  Nothing sounds bad with the HD650.  I listened to some metal (well, what I'd call metal - Nirvana for example) and it sounded great.  The DT880 can sound overly bright (especially coming straight from the HD650) on some recordings - while going from the DT880 to HD650 doesn't give me the impression of dullness ever (at least on these two amps).

 

The DT880 is brighter, faster, and I think more detailed on the high end due to the higher quantity of treble.  So overall, I agree with some small differences, except to say the HD650 treble detail and quality is better than DT880.

 



I actually understand how people may believe that a live performance is brighter than the HD650s presentation.  Most of the time it is.  I was paying particular attention to a live band the other night at a pub, purely because three gorgeous ladies were fronting the band and they were singing classic 60s 70s and 80s.  Otherwise I never pay attention to live music because I believe todays rock music just suck.

 

So anyway it had me thinking about this live "energy" that the HD650s supposedly miss on...well yes, it was brighter than T1, HD650 and LCD2...more like the K701...but without that K701 uppermid bump in overall frequency response.  Like I stated in the K701 thread, the K701 with a right tube amp that can neutralise that upper mid bump sounded like live music to me from front row on many an occassion.

 

Ultimately I paid attention to the drum kit...the one that isn't amplified...and I can clearly hear its hi-hat and cymbal amplitude in ratio to snare drum amplitude was more or less how the HD650 presents it.  I couldn't hear the naturally warm tones of the drumkit because they were masked by the amplified voices and instruments, drowned by the uppermids of the speaker system, which was in front of the band.  In this particular situation, I know from experience, the band is not hearing this brightness.  But the band must listen to each other and rely on each other for timing and amplitude, are the band members then missing out on the "energy".

 

No, they are not.  They are loving every second they are up there creating that energy.  All I'm saying is, when I used to be up there, it sounded more like the HD650 overall...this to me is more accurate to what we all heard.

post #5670 of 36903

True. This is also because the HD650 sounds very good at high volumes. Not as good on low volumes. When a band plays, it's usually quite loud.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread