or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 367

post #5491 of 36851

Oh ok, I never visit the front page <_<

post #5492 of 36851

How wii HD 700 compare with 650 and 800? Something in between as the model number suggested or even better than the 800?

post #5493 of 36851

Check out the HD 700 announcement thread on the home page for some impressions. General consensus seems that they're basically a baby brother to the HD 800, though Jude seems to prefer the 700 in most setups. I suspect that the relationship between the 700 and the 800 will be akin to the relationship between the HE-500 and the HE-6. The HE-6 is generally acknowledged as being technically superior, but the HE-500 is a lot easier to drive, and it's easier to get ideal performance out of it.

 

Insofar as the 650 compares to the 700--from what little I've read, the 700 is a brighter can, with a wider sound-stage. Please note that I have not heard the 700, nor have I heard the 800, or even the HE-500 or HE-6 lol. I'm just summing up what I've read.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAudio View Post

How wii HD 700 compare with 650 and 800? Something in between as the model number suggested or even better than the 800?



 

post #5494 of 36851

Anyone used the EF2-A from HiFiMan for the HD650 or even heard that combo? Wondering if that amp is enough to bring them to life.

post #5495 of 36851

Hey anyone notice the price jump on amazon to 500 for the HD650 from around 350 consistently.  Do you think this could be a result of the HD700?

post #5496 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky22 View Post

Hey anyone notice the price jump on amazon to 500 for the HD650 from around 350 consistently.  Do you think this could be a result of the HD700?

We have. Read the previous page of this thread.
post #5497 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomfire View Post

Anyone used the EF2-A from HiFiMan for the HD650 or even heard that combo? Wondering if that amp is enough to bring them to life.



Yes, I have. It sounds good, to say the least. Will they shine? No, not necessarily, but it's a good little starters amp.

post #5498 of 36851

I think it was DAKMART that sold the HD650's on amazon for $350. On their website they have two different prices for them, one at $309 and the other at $429. 

http://www.dakmart.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hd+650&osCsid=t198grv8k2hsma9eplt68jmav0&x=0&y=0

 

According to reseller reviews, it's a hit or miss with these guys, so I'm reluctant to buy from them directly. I would prefer going through amazon. 

post #5499 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky22 View Post

Hey anyone notice the price jump on amazon to 500 for the HD650 from around 350 consistently.  Do you think this could be a result of the HD700?



I don't think so.  Prices seem to go up after the holidays.  It won't be too long before you see lower prices again.

post #5500 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomfire View Post

Anyone used the EF2-A from HiFiMan for the HD650 or even heard that combo? Wondering if that amp is enough to bring them to life.


 

They sound decent straight out of an EF2 (first version) that I used to own.  Mids aren't as lively as they could be, but there was enought treble clarity and bass to keep them interesting.  There are better options, of course, but not for the price of an EF2-A. 

 

post #5501 of 36851

Would E9/E7 be a better choice?

post #5502 of 36851


E17.  I hear good things about it, and most say its better than the duo.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomfire View Post

Would E9/E7 be a better choice?



 

post #5503 of 36851

I imagine that one's a refurb and the other new.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinphase View Post

I think it was DAKMART that sold the HD650's on amazon for $350. On their website they have two different prices for them, one at $309 and the other at $429. 

http://www.dakmart.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hd+650&osCsid=t198grv8k2hsma9eplt68jmav0&x=0&y=0

 

According to reseller reviews, it's a hit or miss with these guys, so I'm reluctant to buy from them directly. I would prefer going through amazon. 



 

post #5504 of 36851

I wonder if part of the reason the HD650 is so widely loved and popular is due to its ability to make almost any music sound good. Even if some day I get an HD800 (because I like a hyper-detailed sound for good recordings), I doubt I'll ever sell my HD650... simply because there are a lot of imperfectly mastered recordings that I really enjoy that just don't sound right on my analytical headphones (SRH940).

 

When I'm listening with my analytical headphones, while it excels at some things beyond the HD650 due to more detail and speed, I find myself being very choosey of what to listen to because all the flaws are revealed.

 

Honestly I don't think either is "better" than the other -- there's a place for detailed headphones and for musical headphones that play well with imperfect recordings. In an ideal world we'd all have perfect recordings... but that's not the case.

post #5505 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I wonder if part of the reason the HD650 is so widely loved and popular is due to its ability to make almost any music sound good. Even if some day I get an HD800 (because I like a hyper-detailed sound for good recordings), I doubt I'll ever sell my HD650... simply because there are a lot of imperfectly mastered recordings that I really enjoy that just don't sound right on my analytical headphones (SRH940).

When I'm listening with my analytical headphones, while it excels at some things beyond the HD650 due to more detail and speed, I find myself being very choosey of what to listen to because all the flaws are revealed.

Honestly I don't think either is "better" than the other -- there's a place for detailed headphones and for musical headphones that play well with imperfect recordings. In an ideal world we'd all have perfect recordings... but that's not the case.

Yeah, listening to random play on the 650s is never a problem, it's relaxing and musical. But random play on the 940s can be clear and open on one song and then harsh and abrasive on the next. The 650s are versatile, while the 940s are more for listening to specific albums all the way through.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread