or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 36882

Darkvoice 332

One additional quick note on the HD650 Darkvoice 332 pairing.
I have about 40 hours burn in on the pair to this point.
I am starting to revisit some of the musical sources that I tried out in the very beginning.
For example, SACD version of Chic Corea's "Rendezvous in New York", one of the finest overall recordings I have heard recently. Although on my first run, it sounded great, if I had one minor criticism it would have been that the highs, although enhanced and attenuated, were just a tiny bit "harsh."
Well after 40 hours of burn in, the "harshness" is totally gone. Now the enhanced highs blend into a total musical experience that is liquid and warm just as a tube amp should be. Absolutely no "harshness" whatsoever.
"Burn" baby "burn"!!
post #512 of 36882
hey wsoxfan, I'm glad you are enjoying your 332.. just wait until you upgrade tubes, the "brittle" highs present in the stock tubes are totally rectified. My favorite tube combo so far is LM Ericsson 403B and Svetlana 6S19P-V.. very liquid and organic lush sound. I use herbie's HAL-O teflon tube dampeners which seem to help a bit with microphonics and an Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord.

Other tubes I've tried:

WesternElectric 403B(these are close to the LM but not quite as lush)

Mullard CV4010 (was too solid state and cold sounding for my taste)

Ulynovsk 6S19P-V (not much different than the svets but I feel the svets sound better)
post #513 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
hey wsoxfan, I'm glad you are enjoying your 332.. just wait until you upgrade tubes, the "brittle" highs present in the stock tubes are totally rectified. My favorite tube combo so far is LM Ericsson 403B and Svetlana 6S19P-V.. very liquid and organic lush sound. I use herbie's HAL-O teflon tube dampeners which seem to help a bit with microphonics and an Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord.

Other tubes I've tried:

WesternElectric 403B(these are close to the LM but not quite as lush)

Mullard CV4010 (was too solid state and cold sounding for my taste)

Ulynovsk 6S19P-V (not much different than the svets but I feel the svets sound better)
Thanks a lot for the input. A couple of quick questions. Where do you suggest I get the above mentioned tubes and power cable? Also, I have been pretty impressed with the overall quality of the stock headphone cables that come with the HD6650s compared to lots of other phones I have had.
How much diff have you found that the upgraded cable makes? Finally, did you find that replacing the stock power cable for the 332 was worth it?
post #514 of 36882
Oh my gawd.

I made the right choice on these. Man, the Duet powers the HD-650s nicely. Just took delivery from Headroom via FedEx, played around with the iPod-650 combo for a few minutes to see if it was awful (it wasn't!) and then went for the MBP and Apogee for some lossless Mr. Bungle.

Yeah, this is the sound I was looking for. These are plenty fast and bright and not too dark at all. lol @ "veiled."
post #515 of 36882
I just got my set of HD650's and am very very happy. Like them much more than my old HD595's.

Running them from my NAD 7220PE(old yes but still quite nice).
Thorns turntable, NAD 7220PE, HD650 combo brings tears to my eyes... its just so beautiful.
post #516 of 36882
I have about 30 errands to run and daylight's wasting. . . but . . . can't stop. . . listening . . . .
post #517 of 36882
I just received my HD650s. In comparison to my ER4S:
  • There is, of course, far more bass, but it is 'flubby'. It is certainly not the controlled, tight punches that well-sealed Etys give;
  • There is a loss of detail and it seems as though there is slightly less extension in the highs;
  • The soundstage has collapsed somewhat, and they don't compare to Etys in terms of imaging. It is much more difficult to separate the instruments and listen to each individually; and
  • Generally, I understand what is meant when HD650s are referred to as veiled.

Oh well. Good for listening to when I don't want to have to insert/remove Etys.
post #518 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyst^ View Post
I just received my HD650s. In comparison to my ER4S:
  • There is, of course, far more bass, but it is 'flubby'. It is certainly not the controlled, tight punches that well-sealed Etys give;
  • There is a loss of detail and it seems as though there is slightly less extension in the highs;
  • The soundstage has collapsed somewhat, and they don't compare to Etys in terms of imaging. It is much more difficult to separate the instruments and listen to each individually; and
  • Generally, I understand what is meant when HD650s are referred to as veiled.

Oh well. Good for listening to when I don't want to have to insert/remove Etys.
May I ask if this is with or without an amp?
post #519 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger27 View Post
May I ask if this is with or without an amp?
Listening with a borrowed DAC1. It isn't the greatest amp in the world, but at least it should lend a brighter signature. They're not bad by any means, but I do like detail, imaging and tight bass, and those are lacking compared to ER4S.
post #520 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyst^ View Post
I just received my HD650s. In comparison to my ER4S:
  • There is, of course, far more bass, but it is 'flubby'. It is certainly not the controlled, tight punches that well-sealed Etys give;
  • There is a loss of detail and it seems as though there is slightly less extension in the highs;
  • The soundstage has collapsed somewhat, and they don't compare to Etys in terms of imaging. It is much more difficult to separate the instruments and listen to each individually; and
  • Generally, I understand what is meant when HD650s are referred to as veiled.

Oh well. Good for listening to when I don't want to have to insert/remove Etys.
I've had mine for about a week now and my impressions are very similar to yours.

They are very nice cans, but like you described, the highs are recessed and the bass can be overwhelming at times. They are VERY warm, and dark in comparison to my HD580's, which isn't so bad I guess since they are never fatiguing. Also, the soundstage is definitely the in-the-head type. I found that they have pretty sufficient detail, but it could be better.

One thing I will mention though... they do vocals and classical music very well. Probably the best I've heard. Electronic music sounds quite good also

I'm using an Ear+ Purist HD amp with a Raytheon 5751 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS tube. The Raytheon sounds damn good with Grado's, but it makes the HD650's way too warm. The Sovtek is more upfront and dynamic, but is lacking in other areas.

I wonder if any cable will make me like them a bit more. I'm hesitant to spend the money though.

Also, I don't doubt for a minute that they sound much better balanced like many report.
post #521 of 36882
I'm having what seems to be the entirely opposite experience out of the Duet. This is very fast and not exactly what I'd call laid back at all, with lots of detail and a huge (but not exaggerated) soundstage. The bass is excellent but certainly not flabby on this setup-- in fact, it seems quite a bit more natural and what I'd expect to hear in any live setting compared to the 595s, which sound totally flubby and uncontrolled in comparison.

Guess the 650s synergize really well with the Apogee Duet, at least as far as my preference goes.

Ahhh--the main riff in Boredoms Super Roots 7 just crashed through about as upfront and unveiled as I'd ever want to hear it. Total eargasm.
post #522 of 36882
Just made the switch from the 595s to 650s, and I'm extremely pleased. The sound I was looking for in the last year with my 595s, it's right here now. The sound is fuller, less harsh, smoother and more importantly the bass kicks a lot more.

+1 HD650 fan
post #523 of 36882
I like the HD650's I bought recently but they lack bass impact, this is with a Bijou tube amp. Anyone else notice this?
post #524 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I like the HD650's I bought recently but they lack bass impact, this is with a Bijou tube amp. Anyone else notice this?
i have my HD650s paired with a Darkvoice 332 amp and the bass impact is the best I have experienced with headphones to date
post #525 of 36882
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I like the HD650's I bought recently but they lack bass impact, this is with a Bijou tube amp. Anyone else notice this?
Define your term "impact".

I find my 650 to have plenty of bass quantity but it isn't super "fast" or "tight". With electronic music they are impressive. Recently I've been using my PreSonus Central Station with the stock 650 cable modified for a balanced connection using the CS CUE output. This seems to give a more clean bass compared to my W3 tube amp...which also has its advantages.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread