or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 331

post #4951 of 36881

I just got my PS Audio Digital Link III (aka DLIII) yesterday and am listening to it for the first time right now and I like it better than my iBasso D4 Mamba portable amp as a DAC, but I can't explain why. I mean, using my old D4 music still sounds good and I think I'd live with it, but now that I've heard the DLIII, the DLIII is SO much better. I think it is because it is so much more forward and has a quieter soundstage that makes the subtle details, that are there in the D4 keep in mind, much more noticeable and the music overall more enjoyable to listen to. Awesome. So far, I like the 650s better than I did. I guess I was at least somewhat right (I'll know fully later) that the DAC was what was making my setup boring. Sweet!

post #4952 of 36881

Some people think all tubes are warm and syrupy but they're just like op-amps, there are bright, cold and detailed ones there too.

post #4953 of 36881


I have both the HD650 & SRH940 and they are both at opposite to the frequency spectrum. 650 focus on the LOW-MID and the 940 MID-HI. You will never get the same HI presence on the HD650 no matter the amplifier and/or DAC you match them with.

 

I have learn to appreciate both for their own strength (and weaknesses). 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I guess it's probably just the HD650s then. Anyway I still like the HD650s of course, but out of my NFB12 my SRH940 simply has better treble and mids (quality - I've EQed the 940s to sound dark and the quality of them is still better). The HD650s will always rule as the most comfortable nonfatiguing easy listening headphones though, and for that I don't see myself ever getting rid of them.

 

Maybe some time I'll try another Amp but for now I'll probably stick with the NFB12.



 

post #4954 of 36881

Yeah I have both, so they complement each other very well. Still it's interesting that the HD650 treble isn't as good as a $220 headphone. HD650 treble is still good, just not as good as I would have thought based on its reputation.

post #4955 of 36881

I do not consider the treble on the HD650 to be of bad quality. They are tune for a smooth & laid back signature. In my case I'm using a SPC base cable that help a bit on the clarity and speed and still like the HD650 for their non-fatiguing sound. And as you already mentioned above they are also very comfortable. (IMHO)  biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Yeah I have both, so they complement each other very well. Still it's interesting that the HD650 treble isn't as good as a $220 headphone. HD650 treble is still good, just not as good as I would have thought based on its reputation.



 

post #4956 of 36881
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Some people think all tubes are warm and syrupy but they're just like op-amps, there are bright, cold and detailed ones there too.



Very true, my OTL c3m amp is "brighter" sounding than my SS Bossfet.

 

Also,

 

The 650's have proven over time (for me and from what I've read) to be a little harder than most headphones to amplify properly. By that I mean; to get the best out of them. This could be said about any headphone, but in my experience the 650's can sound nice, or they can sound amazing!

 

Power is the key, lots of voltage. If you can get this out of solid state then great, but for me an OTL design is designed for this....  the more power then the more the 650's will shine.

 

I'm currently sitting with my testicles wired up to the mains just to add that bit more voltage. Must say it works! right, where's me heapdphones gone..

post #4957 of 36881

Via my Marantz SACD player and Ray Samuels Audio Raptor, the 650s are absolutely all I want. I listen to acoustic jazz and classical almost exclusively with them and they're great. At one point I was going to make the big financial leap to the 800s but I just like this combination so well, I see no point. I'm sure the 800s would be better but not better enough to justify the money because these 650s are just really superb and always leave me satisfied.

post #4958 of 36881


Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

I do not consider the treble on the HD650 to be of bad quality. They are tune for a smooth & laid back signature. In my case I'm using a SPC base cable that help a bit on the clarity and speed and still like the HD650 for their non-fatiguing sound. And as you already mentioned above they are also very comfortable. (IMHO)  biggrin.gif


I said the same until I EQ'ed the HD650s treble up and compared to the SRH940, and then EQ'ed the SRH940 down and compared to the HD650. The HD650 treble is obviously good, but even with both equalized to sound flat, the HD650 sounds blurrier than the SRH940, particularly with complex treble pieces like with some electronic music. I literally can't listen to my HD650s any more with complex electronic music when I know how the SRH940 sounds. For some music and movies etc. of course I still favor the HD650s superior lower end.

 

But yes, the blurriness is probably what people call laid back / not fatiguing, while others will call it lacking detail. The HD800 fixes this without sacrificing comfort like the SRH940 but unfortunately I don't have $1400 to justifiably spend right now :)


Edited by ac500 - 11/19/11 at 12:19pm
post #4959 of 36881

Like others have said, the treble just isn't the strength of the HD650 and isn't the reason why we listen to it for. It's also a reason why many of us own more than one headphone. I listen to the HD650 for its midrange warmth and laid-back signature. Why change something that it does so well? If you're looking for a different sound, just pick up another headphone. 

post #4960 of 36881

Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards View Post

Via my Marantz SACD player and Ray Samuels Audio Raptor, the 650s are absolutely all I want. I listen to acoustic jazz and classical almost exclusively with them and they're great. At one point I was going to make the big financial leap to the 800s but I just like this combination so well, I see no point. I'm sure the 800s would be better but not better enough to justify the money because these 650s are just really superb and always leave me satisfied.


Carl, how do the Raptor and WA3 compare with the HD650?  

 

post #4961 of 36881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post


Quote:


I said the same until I EQ'ed the HD650s treble up and compared to the SRH940, and then EQ'ed the SRH940 down and compared to the HD650. The HD650 treble is obviously good, but even with both equalized to sound flat, the HD650 sounds blurrier than the SRH940, particularly with complex treble pieces like with some electronic music. I literally can't listen to my HD650s any more with complex electronic music when I know how the SRH940 sounds. For some music and movies etc. of course I still favor the HD650s superior lower end.

 

But yes, the blurriness is probably what people call laid back / not fatiguing, while others will call it lacking detail. The HD800 fixes this without sacrificing comfort like the SRH940 but unfortunately I don't have $1400 to justifiably spend right now :)

 

I don't own the SRH940 and only listened to it a few times, but I'm quite surprised that you find it more detailed than the HD650. It didn't own the latter at the time, but I compared it briefly against the DT 1350 - and I found the latter more detailed (gear used : iPhone 4 + LOD + TTVJ Slim). And as I find my HD650 as detailed or maybe a little more than the DT 1350 up top out of the same setup, that seems strange to me.

But that may be related to the HD650 rendition of details and electronic music. I find the HD650 to have a very subtle rendition of details : they're not thrown in your face à la DT 1350 (with the latter, every bip and pop of a recording can't be missed, while they're more integrated within the rest of the music on the HD650 - but still there if not more detailed). For the genre, I actually like the DT 1350 laser-cut rendition of details - it gives drive and tension to the music. But every time I listen to classical music, I find the HD650 treble rendition better - timber is better, it's much better integrated within the rest of the music, and it remains as detailed if not actually more.

Maybe the amp isn't good enough also.

post #4962 of 36881

Hey, quick unrelated question: are current HD650's still made in Ireland? I'm thinking about a gift for the wife, and she's both Irish and a Sennheiser fan...

post #4963 of 36881

MayaTlab: Everyone says my amp is more than powerful enough, so I don't know. All I can say is if I EQ the 650 treble up, it sounds blurry in comparison, and if I EQ the SRH940 treble down with the 650 stock, the SRH940 still sounds more detailed. I don't know why. I guess really the only way to settle this would be to somehow try mine on a different amp some day, but I'm not really interested in gambling $500 on something that may not make a considerable difference from my NFB12.

 

Mercuttio: Bought mine brand new 4 ish months ago, and mine is made in Ireland according to print under the headband. I can't imagine they would suddenly change things around.

post #4964 of 36881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post

Hey, quick unrelated question: are current HD650's still made in Ireland? I'm thinking about a gift for the wife, and she's both Irish and a Sennheiser fan...



Think its just the headbands that are made in Ireland, could be wrong....

post #4965 of 36881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

I just got my PS Audio Digital Link III (aka DLIII) yesterday and am listening to it for the first time right now and I like it better than my iBasso D4 Mamba portable amp as a DAC, but I can't explain why. I mean, using my old D4 music still sounds good and I think I'd live with it, but now that I've heard the DLIII, the DLIII is SO much better. I think it is because it is so much more forward and has a quieter soundstage that makes the subtle details, that are there in the D4 keep in mind, much more noticeable and the music overall more enjoyable to listen to. Awesome. So far, I like the 650s better than I did. I guess I was at least somewhat right (I'll know fully later) that the DAC was what was making my setup boring. Sweet!


The DLIII is a nice warm, powerful sounding musical DAC.  Good choice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread