or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 328

post #4906 of 36831

General consensus is solid state..

Unless your tube amp is quite expensive.

post #4907 of 36831

so matrix or asgard for HD650?

post #4908 of 36831

If you don't already have a good Dac then HDP imo. Yulong D100 is also a good choice too.

post #4909 of 36831

I have to disagree with you here. I do not know which consensus you are referring too but in my own experience I prefer the HD650 with my tube amplifier (MAD EAR+ HD) to my DACmini (currently own) and Matrix m-Stage (Use to own). The HD650 are know to take advantage of the better soundstage provided by tube. (IMHO). I have also read many good comments on the Bottlehead Crack with the Speddball option and it's hard to find a better match for the price.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo View Post

General consensus is solid state..

Unless your tube amp is quite expensive.



 

post #4910 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

I have to disagree with you here. I do not know which consensus you are referring too but in my own experience I prefer the HD650 with my tube amplifier (MAD EAR+ HD) to my DACmini (currently own) and Matrix m-Stage (Use to own). The HD650 are know to take advantage of the better soundstage provided by tube. (IMHO). I have also read many good comments on the Bottlehead Crack with the Speddball option and it's hard to find a better match for the price.
 



 


That's also a base price $700 product... With Black Gate caps it's over 850$ after shipping... I think it's safe to say that's the low-mid end of the 'high end' tubes.

 

Up to that point Solid state is the general consensus of what these cans need.

 

post #4911 of 36831

Random question: Do these amps actually cost anywhere near these prices to build? 

post #4912 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo View Post


That's also a base price $700 product... With Black Gate caps it's over 850$ after shipping... I think it's safe to say that's the low-mid end of the 'high end' tubes.

 

Up to that point Solid state is the general consensus of what these cans need.

 

 

The Crack plus Speedball is about $325 shipped if you build it yourself - I think most people could.
 

 

post #4913 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

 

The Crack plus Speedball is about $325 shipped if you build it yourself - I think most people could.
 

 


We're talking high end tubes... Not MiniMAX / Crack levels of Tubing.. ;( ( I have MiniMAX)...

 

Up to exquisite tube setups solid state seems to be preffered...

 

post #4914 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Random question: Do these amps actually cost anywhere near these prices to build? 


Actually, yes... Generally speaking, tube amps up to about 1k cost mostly as much as they cost. ; ) Retail or not..

 

Mad Ear = probably like 425-500 to build..
 

 


Edited by Hennyo - 11/18/11 at 12:39am
post #4915 of 36831

my budget is around $350, so is it safe to say that solid-state amp serves me better?

also, i already have the audinst hud mx-1 and i am planning to use it as my dac


Edited by Hughkk - 11/18/11 at 12:24am
post #4916 of 36831

From a design standpoint - as relatively efficient, high impedance cans, the HD650's pair beautifully with OTL tube amps - a topology that generally delivers ample voltage swing but not a lot of current.  Inefficient low impedance headphones, by contrast, need lots of current - which is easy to get out of solid state and/or hybrid designs.  This is why you don't want to try and drive planars, or even K701's for that matter, out of *most* OTL tube amps.  

 

Based on the time I've spent lurking on head-fi over the past several years, my sense has been that the majority seem to prefer sennheisers via tubes, but I've never counted.  Certainly, there are plenty of satisfied listeners on both sides of the aisle.  A well designed amp from either camp should get the job done, but if you have a chance to attend a meet and do some listening for yourself, I'd strongly encourage you to do so.     

 

Hughkk: with a budget of $350 - I'll definitely join twinster and captouch in recommending the crack.  I've been to CanJam and listened to a huge number of amps, and it is definitely the best value with the HD650's and 800's that I'm aware of.  If you have a chance, take a look at the comments/excerpts on the BH site from numerous head-fiers, as well as highly respected pros like Tyll and Steve Gutenberg: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail


Edited by skeptic - 11/18/11 at 12:49am
post #4917 of 36831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo View Post


We're talking high end tubes... Not MiniMAX / Crack levels of Tubing.. ;( ( I have MiniMAX)...

 

Up to exquisite tube setups solid state seems to be preffered...

 


What is your basis for this unqualified statement?  Have you ever even heard a crack?  

post #4918 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

From a design standpoint - as relatively efficient, high impedance cans, the HD650's pair beautifully with OTL tube amps - a topology that generally delivers ample voltage swing but not a lot of current.  Inefficient low impedance headphones, by contrast, need lots of current - which is easy to get out of solid state and/or hybrid designs.  This is why you don't want to try and drive planars, or even K701's for that matter, out of *most* OTL tube amps.  

 

Based on the time I've spent lurking on head-fi over the past several years, my sense has been that the majority seem to prefer sennheisers via tubes, but I've never counted.  Certainly, there are plenty of satisfied listeners on both sides of the aisle.  A well designed amp from either camp should get the job done, but if you have a chance to attend a meet and do some listening for yourself, I'd strongly encourage you to do so.     

 

 



Sigh, not one frigging person can share an opinion without things turning into a flame war.

 

YES, you're right. HD 650 needs and loves voltage. But tubes in less expensive gears sound less clear than solid state /andor more distorted. You need the clairity of a high end tube rig to truly enjoy all the benefits tubes bring. Cheap tubes = lack of clairity.. No, I have not heard a crack, but you're likely right that it is the best option for tubes at the pricepoint.

 

Personally, I would not settle for less than an EHHA rev A or Bijou (Which I have heard) if I were going diy.

post #4919 of 36831

for example little dot III with hd650. good combination? or should i get a better solid-amp?

post #4920 of 36831

No flames intended Hennyo - just earnest disagreement with a couple of your prior comments.  

 

FYI - I've only ever seen one post directly comparing the crack and bijou, and the poster indicated he preferred the crack.  (see: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,970.msg7123/topicseen.html#new ).  I don't think milosz ever did a detailed crack v. bijou comparison in his A/B comparison head-fi thread, but his back to back comparisons of his B22 vs. Bijou and then his B22 vs. Crack, are pretty telling in my view.  Both are on this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/521988/amp-a-b-comparisons/30 .     

 

I totally agree with you that the EHHA revA is one sexy beast though.  I wish I thought I had the DIY chops to take it on. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread