or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 327

post #4891 of 36844

Need amp.. =0 cables also make leaps and bounds for hd 650...

 

It may seem expensive, but they have no trouble playing with the big boys when they're fed as they deserve.

post #4892 of 36844

Is there any compilation of a list of amps that work well with HD650s? It seems for such a long topic (this thread is 327 pages long after all) there'd be such a thing. I ask because I'm considering getting a better amp, but I want to know for sure that it's good for the HD650 and makes it very detailed, etc.

post #4893 of 36844

My review that called it boring was with a DV337 but I think it's the DAC, since the Darkvoice 337 is supposedly a good match for these.

 

Plus, I actually do much like the sound of them with acoustic. Listen to Marian Call's Something Fierce on them. Beautiful!

http://mariancall.bandcamp.com/album/something-fierce

post #4894 of 36844
NuForce HDP incoming, can't wait to see! Or hear!
post #4895 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo View Post

Thinking of selling one of mine. Shoot me a pm if interested.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571207/fs-flawless-hd-650-extras

 

It's Blue and Silver Dragon v3's ~



smartest thing I've seen you do.

post #4896 of 36844

Upstate: you're such a troll. ^^
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisse View Post

NuForce HDP incoming, can't wait to see! Or hear!



Hey nice choice! Inform us on what you find with it. smile.gif


Edited by Hennyo - 11/16/11 at 9:54pm
post #4897 of 36844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo View Post

cables also make leaps and bounds for hd 650...

 


This is seriously misleading in my view - particularly to the newer members of this community.  Even the cable fan boys have repeatedly admitted in this thread that aftermarket cable upgrades are at the absolute bottom of the list as far as sonic benefits per dollar spent (assuming there are any at all).

 

After preaching pure fiction like the above, and with less than a year of membership under your belt, you have absolutely no business criticizing conscientious veteran head-fiers like USG.

 

 


Edited by skeptic - 11/16/11 at 10:31pm
post #4898 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


This is seriously misleading in my view - particularly to the newer members of this community.  Even the cable fan boys have repeatedly admitted in this thread that aftermarket cable upgrades are at the absolute bottom of the list as far as sonic benefits per dollar spent (assuming there are any at all).

 

After preaching pure fiction like the above, you have no business criticizing conscientious veteran head-fiers like USG.

 

 


That's funny...a Mogami recable is only 94 cents per foot and would cost less than $30 to make. It'd be only $10 if it wasn't for the expensive Cardas connectors. Maybe so many people hate suggesting cable upgrades is that most of them cost $200-$300. I'm never paying that for a silly cable. It'd have to make like a 20% improvement in sound and that'd be impossible. What does a 20% improvement sound like? Does it turn my HD-650 into an LCD2?

 

I only buy cables because stock cables are junk. Switch to a dirt cheap Mogami HD-650 cable and you'll wonder why you never tried it sooner considering it's so cheap.

 

For the HD-650, the amp and DAC are more important than the cable...

 

Now for the HD-598 as long as the headphone is properly driven, I saw greater benefits from switching it's stock cable to Mogami than switching amps. I think it's possibly because the HD-598 wire is ultra thin and hurts the sound.

 

IMO a Mogami cable on the HD-598 is like a 5% improvement. Clears up the sound and there's a little more detail. No major change in the sound signature at all. That's why I love Mogami.

 

Luckily I'm not a believer of expensive wire yet. I do like silver platted copper, but I'm guessing there will be not much difference between a higher quality cheaper brand and the type that's $7 per foot (ALO). Maybe there is and I will know eventually.

 

Best advice is to try things out for yourself and listen with your own ears. Kind of fun being able to make your own cheap HD-650 cables! Call me stupid, but I think a $30 cable for a 5% improvement is totally worth it.

 

post #4899 of 36844

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Best advice is to try things out for yourself and listen with your own ears. Kind of fun being able to make your own cheap HD-650 cables! Call me stupid, but I think a $30 cable for a 5% improvement is totally worth it.

 

 

Hypothetically speaking, I totally agree that $30 for a 5% improvement is a reasonably good value in this hobby.  I actually have 10' of spare mogami cable lying around from when I made a hp extension cable a couple of years ago.  One of these days, perhaps I'll order up a pair of senn connectors and give it a try on my 650's.  If I do it though, I expect that I will think it sounds better - because ultimately the human mind is a tricky bastard, and it likes to justify its own efforts.  Don't suppose you want to help motivate me, and to combat my paranoia, by taking me up on my suggestion from earlier today (a few posts up in this thread) to build that interconnect and see if diffmaker will confirm that there actually is a 5% improvement?

 

All that said, 5% is far from "leaps and bounds".  It pains me when I see users running their 650's off a $200 "vanity" cable, while plugged into something like a fiio.  I feel like those of us who have been around a while, attended meets, heard dozens and dozens of quality amps, sources, headphones etc. need to speak up from time to time, to keep it real, and to make sure newer head-fiers with limited resources aren't being misadvised as to how to invest them and what to expect when they do.


Edited by skeptic - 11/17/11 at 12:21am
post #4900 of 36844
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

 

Luckily I'm not a believer of expensive wire yet. I do like silver platted copper, but I'm guessing there will be not much difference between a higher quality cheaper brand and the type that's $7 per foot (ALO). Maybe there is and I will know eventually.

 

Best advice is to try things out for yourself and listen with your own ears. Kind of fun being able to make your own cheap HD-650 cables! Call me stupid, but I think a $30 cable for a 5% improvement is totally worth it.

 


When the sound is already so good, any improvement is great when it gets better!

 

post #4901 of 36844

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Is there any compilation of a list of amps that work well with HD650s? It seems for such a long topic (this thread is 327 pages long after all) there'd be such a thing. I ask because I'm considering getting a better amp, but I want to know for sure that it's good for the HD650 and makes it very detailed, etc.


I personally have the Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball and Hifiman EF5 - I think both do a really great job with the HD650's. Like you, I also have the NFB-12, and both of these amps are noticeably better than the NFB-12 HP out.

 

I got the EF5 first, originally for my 880/600's, then ready so many great things about the Crack that I bought that as well.  Based on what I read, I expected the Crack to be better, but found that I actually preferred the EF5 as I thought the stock Crack to be a little too laid back in combination with the 650's.  But after the Speedball upgrade (and I also put in a 12BH7 in place of the 12AU7, so I can't say it was purely the Speedball upgrade), the 650's were great on the Crack as well.  Can't say yet which one I prefer more.

 

The Crack is meant for high impedance cans though, whereas my understanding is that the EF5 can address a wider range of impedance.  So if you're looking for versatility in driving many HP's of different impedances, the Crack may not be the best option.  But it was very fun and gratifying to build, and it looks really cool IMO.

 

I'm sure there are many amps that would be great with the 650's - not pushing either of the above, but just saying that both do sound excellent based on my experience.

 

post #4902 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

 

The 10SE is a good unit. The amp section is neutral, clean and powerful, but for the HD650 I slightly favour the more grungy and coloured presentation of the Lyr. One isn't necessarily better than the other and is a matter of preference imo. You may like the extra detail and more focused high end directly from the SE, rather than a more musical tube laced presentation.


 

I'm torn between which Schiit amp to pair with the HD650. I had intended on getting the Lyr but am not sure if its worth the extra $$$ over the Asgard or Valhalla.  My understanding is that its power is designed more for the likes of the LCD2 and HE-5, etc, so I'm not sure if the returns are there for the extra cost?  Have you/anyone else had a chance to compare the Schiit amps with the HD650?

 

Also, the review over at Headphonia (http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/) has me leaning towards the Asgard over the Valhalla--again, for the best bang for your buck.

 

I'm currently on the Zero DAC/Amp but am looking to pick up the Bifrost with one of the Schiit amps. Any inputs/impression on the Schiit amps' synergy with the HD650 is greatly appreciated, thanks!

post #4903 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidastoria View Post


 

I'm torn between which Schiit amp to pair with the HD650. I had intended on getting the Lyr but am not sure if its worth the extra $$$ over the Asgard or Valhalla.  My understanding is that its power is designed more for the likes of the LCD2 and HE-5, etc, so I'm not sure if the returns are there for the extra cost?  Have you/anyone else had a chance to compare the Schiit amps with the HD650?

 

Also, the review over at Headphonia (http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/) has me leaning towards the Asgard over the Valhalla--again, for the best bang for your buck.

 

I'm currently on the Zero DAC/Amp but am looking to pick up the Bifrost with one of the Schiit amps. Any inputs/impression on the Schiit amps' synergy with the HD650 is greatly appreciated, thanks!



I'd also like to hear which one is best for the 650's has anyone tried both?

 

Done a bit of research and If I was buying, I'd go for the Valhalla.. simply beacause I prefer OTL designs for the 650's. The Lyr gives a massive amount of current out at low loads which for me says its designed specifically for planar. Though obviously thats just my view on paper.

 

The Valhalla gives its maximum output 500mw into 300ohms which sounds ideal for the 650's.  

 

 

 

 

 

post #4904 of 36844

In considering possible tube and hybrid amps - skylab's comparison thread is always worth a look: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-32-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps

 

Albeit, not HD650 specific, he ranks the lyr > crack > valhalla.  But note: on the page 31, he comments that he would recommend a valhalla over a lyr for high impedance phones like the DT880's.  Since the crack (also an OTL amp designed for high impedance phones) trumps the valhalla, I see little reason to seriously consider schitt amps for Senns and Beyers unless you strongly prefer the cosmetics.  Even a prebuilt crack is cheaper than a valhalla, and the kit is far cheaper.

 

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the crack.  Mine is modded a bit (as discussed in my profile), but honestly, the mods are a pretty subtle improvement over the stock kit - which absolutely smokes my old Woo 3.  This is all highly subjective, but I think skylab actually under-ranks the crack a bit in his list.  I find that I prefer it to the WA2, at least with HD650's and HD800's.  The lyr and WA2 are far better options though if you have any low impedance dynamics or planars in your stable. 


Edited by skeptic - 11/17/11 at 11:04am
post #4905 of 36844

so does hd650 pair better with a tube amp than a solid state-one?

i am considering m-stage matrix/asgard/vahalla.

want some advice from who have heard from those amps before.

thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread