or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 297

post #4441 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

@ Disastermouse  

 

Wow.  Haven't seen you here in ages.  Lol.  

 

@ Jason

 

It's too soon for you to say you don't miss them.  =]


I've been through a lot since I last was here a lot. I started paying down my debt (which is why I wasn't here, LOL), sold my car and went motorcycle-only. Then I hit a deer going 60-70mph, trashed the bike, and was off work for almost three months. I've lost movement and strength in my right wrist after pulverizing my distal radius and breaking my left clavicle (both required plates and screws). I also 'degloved' my left knee.

Now I'm riding a scooter and hoping to get the bike fixed up again by spring!
post #4442 of 36851

How come HD650 is now selling in ebay for $350. Is there any other model for HD650 other than the original one? Fake 650?

post #4443 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by firgoe View Post

How come HD650 is now selling in ebay for $350. Is there any other model for HD650 other than the original one? Fake 650?

Dunno. I got mine second-hand for $350...

It could be that in this economy, $500-ish headphones just aren't an easy sell...
post #4444 of 36851

I paid $360 for them new from Amazon, I'd be surprised to see people pay much more for them now.

post #4445 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by firgoe View Post

How come HD650 is now selling in ebay for $350. Is there any other model for HD650 other than the original one? Fake 650?



To my knowledge, there has never been a faked HD650.  Just to be safe, make sure you're buying from a reputable dealer.


Edited by Digital-Pride - 9/22/11 at 3:49pm
post #4446 of 36851

The lowered price should give this headphone better price/performance ratio.  I am wandering why they don;t reduce the hd800.

post #4447 of 36851

I got my HD650 from Headroom with their Micro Stack with Headphones bundle. That bundle's only $300 more than just the Micro Stack (no headphones) bundle. Since I wanted the micro stack, I figured added $300 for some HD650s was a good deal. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the 650, great set of cans.


Edited by Gurloes - 9/22/11 at 11:56am
post #4448 of 36851

 

x2.


The fatigue thing is important and goes to overall experience. My Grado's were extremely detailed, but after a couple hours, I was done. The 650's are smooth, mellow, and easy to listen to, even for long periods. Unlike other phones, taking them off does not make you say - "Ah, it feels good to get those off my head!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurloes View Post

Of the 3 cans I have the HD 650 is my favorite all-around to listen to. However I've noticed exactly what you've described, the Grado's emphasize much more of the "hearing things you've never heard before" effect, but they're also much more fatiguing to my ears. I can listen to the HD 650's for an extended period of time & not experience fatigue.

 



 

 

post #4449 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurloes View Post

I got my HD650 from Headroom with their Micro Stack with Headphones bundle. That bundle's only $300 more than just the Micro Stack (no headphones) bundle. Since I wanted the micro stack, I figured added $300 for some HD650s was a good deal. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the 650, great set of cans.



Really liked the HD-650 with the Micro Amp you have (even more than the Asgard!). The Micro Amp also loves the K501, K601 and K702. One of these days I may buy one of their DACs. The one I have needs upgrading very badly.

 

post #4450 of 36851

 

What?? I got mine this week for about $350 from Amazon. And I even called Sennheiser before I ordered to ask if Amazon was an authorized dealer, to which they answered yes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


Dunno. I got mine second-hand for $350...

It could be that in this economy, $500-ish headphones just aren't an easy sell...


 

post #4451 of 36851

Quote:

Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

I've been through a lot since I last was here a lot. I started paying down my debt (which is why I wasn't here, LOL), sold my car and went motorcycle-only. Then I hit a deer going 60-70mph, trashed the bike, and was off work for almost three months. I've lost movement and strength in my right wrist after pulverizing my distal radius and breaking my left clavicle (both required plates and screws). I also 'degloved' my left knee.

Now I'm riding a scooter and hoping to get the bike fixed up again by spring!


Aw ****.  That's terrible man.  Degloving your knee, ouch.  Good to see you're still in the spirit for riding--must have been mentally tough.

 

There's that one good thing about hifi, it's safe, even if expensive.

 

Good to see you back.

post #4452 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 

What?? I got mine this week for about $350 from Amazon. And I even called Sennheiser before I ordered to ask if Amazon was an authorized dealer, to which they answered yes.

 



 

I don't actually remember what I paid. Let's see....Amazon says $320. This was in December 2010.
post #4453 of 36851

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


I don't actually remember what I paid. Let's see....Amazon says $320. This was in December 2010.


I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you bought a used pair for more than I paid for my new pair.

 

post #4454 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNine View Post

 


I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you bought a used pair for more than I paid for my new pair.

 

Not quite, but almost! I think new ones were running a little higher when I got mine.
post #4455 of 36851

I found the solution to the "sennheiser veil" ;). By EQ'ing up the treble just a little bit, it's amazing how good the HD 650's sound. Switching back to flat makes them sound muffled in comparison. What's great is that doing so (EQ'ing) doesn't seem to compromise the HD650's nice impactful bass at all, so these sound pretty much perfect to me right now. I say that because I got Audio Technica AD2000's which are not as recessed in treble and sound comparable in quality to the HD650, but lack bass impact.

 

EQ'ed, my HD650's sound amazing across the entire frequency range. (Also with my sound card set to 24b/96k, equalization sounds great with no reduction in sound quality I can detect.)

 

Compared to my AD2000's and SRH940's, my HD650's are definitely my favorite general-purpose headphones now by far. EQ'ed HD 650's beat the AD2000 in every way IMO. SRH940 though is still very impressive in its revealing detail to my ears (why that is I can't say), and still beats the HD 650 (and the AD2000) in that area - but this is not necessarily "better" for listening. For pretty much everything but super analytical (fatiguing) listening, I can't imagine hearing or wanting anything better than this. 


Edited by ac500 - 9/23/11 at 7:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread