or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 29

post #421 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
only had mine two days with only an hour or twos use under there belt but straight out the box they are sounding pretty good without an amp.

now i need to get them run in and buy a decent amp and they should start really singing
And another joins the HD650 legion...excellllllent

You'll be pretty amazed with the amp.....I cringe at going ampless nowadays with the HD650.
post #422 of 37382

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmht View Post
Man.....you're tempting me to just pick up a HD600 for fun to compare aren't you......
Absolutely!

And... as I think about it... that may be why my "new" HD580s (modifed) sound identical to my "new" HD650s - maybe they aren't the "new" HD600s!

I realize the Senn site indicates the drivers of the HD580s and HD600s are identical - so, I assumed they were.

But... its just possible... that at least a few of the HD580s got the HD650 drivers - which would explain why mine sound identical to my HD650s.

When Senn was winding down production of the HD580s, it's possible that they were just "scavenging for parts" to complete the final production runs, to avoid having to order more HD580 parts. So... they grabbed some HD650 drivers to complete the final HD580 production runs.

Sure they should have grabbed HD600 drivers, but... maybe they didn't... for whatever reasons. That would explain the earlier posts that show the HD580 drivers being the same as the HD650 drivers.

Or... they may have run short of HD650 drivers in a production run, and just grabbed HD580/600 drivers to finish the run - which by the way, would explain why they're selling the HD650s at huge discounts/rebates right now - they're really HD580/600 drivers in the HD650 frames.

One of these scenarios has to be the explanation for why they sound identical - probably the latter, more likely than the former.

But... it would be interesting to see if your's sound identical too.
post #423 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmht View Post
And another joins the HD650 legion...excellllllent

You'll be pretty amazed with the amp.....I cringe at going ampless nowadays with the HD650.
what amp have you found works best with your 650's?

thanks
post #424 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
what amp have you found works best with your 650's?

thanks
I've heard it's the Darkvoice 332.
post #425 of 37382
seems a very popular choice for the 650's i might take the plunge and order a 337se and see how it sounds
post #426 of 37382
Well finally spent some time with the completed (for now) setup. I was never much for super high $$$ but try to edge out with bang-for-the-buck type components.

I'm feeding the HD650s (bought used! budget-fi!) with a macbook (FLACs) optical out->DAC-AH->LD MKV.

I considered my jump into the hd650s as perhaps something I might jump into my first tube amp with as well, but in the end I decided to keep it simple with a SS amp and I'm pretty happy with it. I may try a tube amp in the future because I find myself looking for some warmth from time to time but all in all I do enjoy the SS sound.

I am unfortunately reminded about why I left the head-fi scene for a couple of years with these cans. They are too revealing with poor recordings, which is obviously not a "bad" thing, but in the past I would have trouble enjoying music as much because I would notice imperfections in the sound and recording quality. I am re-discovering this phenomenon once again but it is also nice to rediscover how quality recordings can sound as well, so hopefully that will be enough to stave off another departure from hi-fi cans.

Its been a long while since I've used the HD600s (my prev favorite can from the meager list used below) but I don't notice much of a difference in sound signature - it does feel a little less "organic" than I remember the HD600s being but I may need to listen again to be sure. It does feel more "controlled" than I remember the 600s being, but again that was a while ago.

All in all, currently very happy with the situation.
post #427 of 37382

Would Be Great with the HD650s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
seems a very popular choice for the 650's i might take the plunge and order a 337se and see how it sounds
That would be superb - no doubt!!!

But... why pay the huge price premium for the "se" version? I'd just get the DV337. I'm sure it sounds virtually as good, and costs much less.

And... for no better than the DV337 sounds than the DV332 (<10% better)... why not just get the DV332 - a huge bargain that sounds pretty close to the same.
post #428 of 37382
i'm not sure if the 332 is still available?
post #429 of 37382
There's like 10 of them on ebay right now ^^
post #430 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
i'm not sure if the 332 is still available?
The choice between the Darkvoice 337 and the 332 is a no brainer unless you just have money to burn. According to Darkvoice themselves and Jasmine which seems to be the main dependable source for both the 337 and the 332 the two for most purposes are "virtually the same". I am quoting the Jasmine site now. They have a vested interest in pushing the 337 if that were not the case since with a % markup they probably make more on that unit since it costs almost twice as much.
The 332 is definitely available, I just ordered one from Jasmine 2 days ago. Also if you check out Jasmines listings on ebay they let you make your offer.
I managed to save $25 off their asking price that way.
I did a lot of research on amps for my new Hd650s before I pulled the trigger and factoring in price the Darkvoice 332 seems to be the hands down winner.
post #431 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
what amp have you found works best with your 650's?

thanks

right now i'm amping it with a darkvoice 337 and it sounds better then my yarland p100. the p100 ain't bad but the 337 is better. one thing though. it seems like it's not hard amping the senns as long as your amp got some juice. i mean i read far more people like their amp then dislike their amp.
post #432 of 37382
thanks I think I'll take a gamble and buy a dark voice 332 amp and hopefully it'll sound good to my ears. i do favor a warm laid back sound, but still like a nice clean mid range detail especially in female voices.
post #433 of 37382
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam_boy View Post
thanks I think I'll take a gamble and buy a dark voice 332 amp and hopefully it'll sound good to my ears. i do favor a warm laid back sound, but still like a nice clean mid range detail especially in female voices.
You will be extremely happy with the pairing. The overall musical tone is definitely warm, liquid and laid back. As for female vocals, one of my weak spots also, the female vocals will literally reach out, envelop and caress your very sonic soul.
post #434 of 37382

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post
Absolutely!

And... as I think about it... that may be why my "new" HD580s (modifed) sound identical to my "new" HD650s - maybe they aren't the "new" HD600s!

I realize the Senn site indicates the drivers of the HD580s and HD600s are identical - so, I assumed they were.

But... its just possible... that at least a few of the HD580s got the HD650 drivers - which would explain why mine sound identical to my HD650s.

When Senn was winding down production of the HD580s, it's possible that they were just "scavenging for parts" to complete the final production runs, to avoid having to order more HD580 parts. So... they grabbed some HD650 drivers to complete the final HD580 production runs.

Sure they should have grabbed HD600 drivers, but... maybe they didn't... for whatever reasons. That would explain the earlier posts that show the HD580 drivers being the same as the HD650 drivers.

Or... they may have run short of HD650 drivers in a production run, and just grabbed HD580/600 drivers to finish the run - which by the way, would explain why they're selling the HD650s at huge discounts/rebates right now - they're really HD580/600 drivers in the HD650 frames.

One of these scenarios has to be the explanation for why they sound identical - probably the latter, more likely than the former.

But... it would be interesting to see if your's sound identical too.
Well... after 75+ hrs of burn in... my "new" version HD650s sound IDENTICAL to my "new" version HD580/600s - IDENTICAL.

So... as great as they are... and despite their great price (~$280)... I have no need for two sets of identical phones... so... back they go for a refund.

They do sound superb... and... nothing like the "old" version HD650s - nothing at all... but... just can't justify keeping them... since... my $185 "new" version HD580/600s sound - IDENTICAL.
post #435 of 37382

Another proof

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4528459-post1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
There is no difference in sound between my "old" style HD600 with black screen and the "new" white screen version, as I expected.
But if Senns indeed started shoving 580 drivers into HD650 that would explain why yours sound identically bright. Glad mine has HD650 drivers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread