or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 278

post #4156 of 37384

Yea Jimmy play it.........

post #4157 of 37384


Quote:

Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post

Does this mystical J&R have lots of other high-end headphones as well? Next time I'm in NY I can drop by and listen... Since the chances of me ever getting to hear them around here are slim-to-none.



Well, IMO Its got a pretty **** good selection!

post #4158 of 37384
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post

Does this mystical J&R have lots of other high-end headphones as well? Next time I'm in NY I can drop by and listen... Since the chances of me ever getting to hear them around here are slim-to-none.


I saw a lot of Sennheisers, Denon, Koss, B&W, AKG and few others that are on their website that can be tested. Next time I go back I will test some of them. The Denon 2000 look nice in person and so did the AKGs. For some reason the HD598 looked and felt cheaply made. The HD650 felt a lot more solid and plushy, as I mentioned before passionately. lol.

 

post #4159 of 37384


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post




I saw a lot of Sennheisers, Denon, Koss, B&W, AKG and few others that are on their website that can be tested. Next time I go back I will test some of them. The Denon 2000 look nice in person and so did the AKGs. For some reason the HD598 looked and felt cheaply made. The HD650 felt a lot more solid and plushy, as I mentioned before passionately. lol.

 

 

I own both the Denon D2000 and the AKG K701--yeah, they're both very easy on the eyes. :-)

 

So is the HD650--I always thought it looked pretty ugly and plain in pictures, but I was surprised by the fit and finish of it once I actually got it into my hands. I actually think it's the most handsome pair of headphones I own. And even though I've had it for a lesser period of time than the rest of my stable, it's quickly becoming my favorite.

 

For some reason I've never thought to look for hi-fi/audio stores when I travel--if I look for stores at all, it's always used bookstores and CD places. I'm going to have to start keeping an eye out from now on--would love to get a nice pair of headphones from an actual brick and mortar.
 

 

post #4160 of 37384

Same. Really just Best Buy for me. There is one Grado dealer that might have a few cheap pairs on display along with their cartridges from Grado. The other one just sells cartridges and had a few pair of SR60i's on the shelf to buy. Besides that, I only have Best Buy.

 

I bought two cans from them in one night and like 5 in a week exchanging them trying to find some good ones for around $150 or so. I got some HD298s I think they were but I hated how they leaked from being open because I used them at school for Eminem and Lonely Island LOL. The bass went away after a while. Then I got some Beyer DT770/80 Pros from my Guitar Center because they recommended them, and that's what started my Head-Fi trail. My 650s are my second pair after those now and I have no amp cuz I have no DAC :P

 

Sorry for the de-rail but I just wanted to tell that story.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post

I'm very jealous of you guys--where I live, the only headphones that I can try before I buy (as if) are all Skullcandy, Bose, and Beats. *Jealous.*



 

post #4161 of 37384


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Same. Really just Best Buy for me. There is one Grado dealer that might have a few cheap pairs on display along with their cartridges from Grado. The other one just sells cartridges and had a few pair of SR60i's on the shelf to buy. Besides that, I only have Best Buy.

 

I bought two cans from them in one night and like 5 in a week exchanging them trying to find some good ones for around $150 or so. I got some HD298s I think they were but I hated how they leaked from being open because I used them at school for Eminem and Lonely Island LOL. The bass went away after a while. Then I got some Beyer DT770/80 Pros from my Guitar Center because they recommended them, and that's what started my Head-Fi trail. My 650s are my second pair after those now and I have no amp cuz I have no DAC :P

 

Sorry for the de-rail but I just wanted to tell that story.

 



 


You can use an amp without a DAC, you know. :-P

 

At least you can still listen to Grados--I've been itching to give them a shot--but short of buying them and trying them out, I'm not likely to be able to give them a listen anytime soon.

 

post #4162 of 37384

I know, but the only way I can do that (use my amp DAC-less) is through my onboard headphone jack which would be double amping and probably give a terrible sound.


Edited by jtaylor991 - 8/12/11 at 12:31am
post #4163 of 37384

I've been doing some research, asked in a couple of threads in this forum and another forum, but i'm still having a very hard time deciding between the HD600s and the HD650s... I'm listening to a wide variety of musical genres (rock, metal, classical, pop, hip-hop, electronic), playing video games and watching movies... What do you think would be more appropriate?

post #4164 of 37384

I haven't heard the 600s but if you only want one or the other and you have hip hop I'd go with the 650s for the increase in bass. Mine are fine with well recorded, lossless hip hop. Great actually.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad951 View Post

I've been doing some research, asked in a couple of threads in this forum and another forum, but i'm still having a very hard time deciding between the HD600s and the HD650s... I'm listening to a wide variety of musical genres (rock, metal, classical, pop, hip-hop, electronic), playing video games and watching movies... What do you think would be more appropriate?



 

post #4165 of 37384

Hello All,

 

I am a newbie and got the HD 650 couple of days ago. So far its awesome and as  I have paired with NuForce ICON  HDP!...However I noticed today that the ear cup foam on both ears seem have  teared up  a bit (not sure how else to say) on the inside, at the bottom of the cup for both side. Attached is a picture. It might not be as clear in the picture as what I am seeing. If I look at the inner edges across the entire cup it seems fine on all other places except for the location I mentioned on both L/R side. 

 

Is this normal? I  might be a bit paranoid here but want to make sure its expected even after just two days of usage.

 

Thanks

Anand

 

IMAG0161.jpg

post #4166 of 37384

And how do they do in other genres?

post #4167 of 37384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

I haven't heard the 600s but if you only want one or the other and you have hip hop I'd go with the 650s for the increase in bass. Mine are fine with well recorded, lossless hip hop. Great actually.
 



 


And how do they do in other genres? It's just that hip-hop is not a top priority... So the HD600s would probably be a better bet?

 


Edited by vlad951 - 8/12/11 at 7:42am
post #4168 of 37384

HD650s are the best

post #4169 of 37384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post

HD650s are the best


They sure are. basshead.gif

 

post #4170 of 37384
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad951 View Post

And how do they do in other genres? It's just that hip-hop is not a top priority... So the HD600s would probably be a better bet?

 



I started with the HD600's because the place I purchased them from did not have the HD650's in stock at the time.  I really wanted to love them and at times, I did.  After reading so much about the HD650's and the addition bass, I bid on a new pair on eBay and got them at a really good price.  Thought that if I didn't like them, I could pretty much resell them at the same price.

 

I let them break in for about 4 days and then pretty much immediately fell in love with them.  By-bye HD600's. 

I listen to a lot of Enigma, some rock, female vocal, some Dead Can Dance and a lot of 80's dance, new wave... everything from Lady GaGa  to Eva Cassidy, AC/DC, Styx, Supertramp, Eagles, Madonna, Michael Buble, U2.. etc..

 

For me, the HD650's win hand down. Not only is the bass much better (not flabby to me as some have mentioned) and seem fuller and richer.

Just one guy's opinion.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread