or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 276

post #4126 of 37369

I just wish the 598s came with a nice case like the 650s come with. frown.gif

post #4127 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post
 What I am still undecided about is whether to go Solid State or Tube, there have been very mixed comments. I myself am split, as I do not want to end up buying an SS that sounds anaemic, or a Tube that is overly warm.  

Ideal price is c. $500, but I remain open as it will not be an immediate purchase. Thanks in advance for responses.

 


It's a matter of taste really, you can always go hybrid if it makes it easier for you. They say it's the best of both worlds. tongue.gif

 

I personally don't care for the sound of hybrid amps, they just don't have that special essence that I hear in pure SS or tube amps. It's like listening to a identity crisis. I personally think HD650 can sound excellent with either SS or tube. I personally do prefer tube in the end though maybe it's because of their magic glow. 

 

post #4128 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post




It's a matter of taste really, you can always go hybrid if it makes it easier for you. They say it's the best of both worlds. tongue.gif

 

I personally don't care for the sound of hybrid amps, they just don't have that special essence that I hear in pure SS or tube amps. It's like listening to a identity crisis. I personally think HD650 can sound excellent with either SS or tube. I personally do prefer tube in the end though maybe it's because of their magic glow. 

 

 

Do tubes sound good from the get go, or do they have to warm up (similar to the tubes in guitar amps)
 

 

post #4129 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post



 

Do tubes sound good from the get go, or do they have to warm up (similar to the tubes in guitar amps)
 

 

 

Warm up. Doesn't take long though, and it's not like they sound bad in the beginning.
 

 

post #4130 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Quote:


As with pretty much every headphone, there are reports of the HD800s having different versions.  The latest ones are reported to have a slightly more balanced, less treble emphasized sound.  So that might explain your "vocal minority."  I do applaud you on being open minded enough to go from the HD650s to the HD800s though.  There are far too many people on head-fi that scurry away at the mention of "bright" or "treble" without actually giving great phones a chance.  They tend to, quite naively, equate "bright" with treble peaks and sibilance.  I'm pretty sure they'll never hear how butter-smooth (and non-fatiguing) treble can be on some great cans. 

 

My old (#3406) and current pair (#9311) sound identical. The low-bass versions were mostly the serial #s below 1000.

 

The bass was boosted since then but the treble hasn't really changed. In fact, it might have been increased near the 6KHz region.
 

 

post #4131 of 37369

Just want to welcome myself. New to head-fi. Forced to go to an apartment, and box up my Dynaudio/Bryston 2-channel system. Figured I would try some cans out. Just picked up a mint pair of HD 650's off FleaBay for $240 shipped. I plan on using the BP25DA pre-amp (integrated 44.1khz DAC) with these, which I assume will drive them sufficiently. Music source will be FLAC (Lossless ripped from CD's) from my HP MediaSmart server networked to a Squeezebox Touch with a digital coax out to the BP25DA. The Bryston DAC will be used. The music library will be accessed wirelessly with an Ipod Touch (w/ installed Squeezebox Application). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm an audiophile, but not a snob :)


Edited by highdefguy - 8/10/11 at 11:17pm
post #4132 of 37369
I just received my Schiit Asgard in the mail today and spent all afternoon listening to my 650s through it. My source is an Oppo BDP-83 connected directly to the Asgard via analog RCA.

I'll save all the gory details for a longer review, but in a nutshell, the Asgard definitely tightened up the bass and left the mids and treble basically untouched compared to my vintage receiver headphone jack. The Icon HD I think sounded a tiny little bit better to me because it was a little brighter than the Asgard, but the Asgard is about as warm an amp I would pair with the 650s. I can't say for sure because the Icon was digital input from my PCs USB port - apples and oranges.

Regarding tube amps, based on my limited experience with headphones, I would say that for most listeners, a tube amp would not be a good match.

I did use the Asgard as a reference to set the tone controls on my vintage receiver and was able to get the receiver Pretty close in sound to the Asgard. Just the bass that I couldn't get as tight as the Asgard. This reassured me that the headphone stage of my receiver is of decent quality, but just bass heavy in tone.

Coincidently, I also got my delivery of the HD600s I ordered from Amazon on Monday. I hate to say it, but the 600 is a little bit brighter and has leaner bass than the 650 - giving it better synergy with the Asgard (and my receiver). the 650 sounded better on a handful of music I sampled, but for the majority of my music, with my sources, the 600 is the better (more neutral/natural) sounding headphone. to me, the 600 through my tone-adjusted receiver sounds better than the 650 through the Asgard.

Running the Asgard through the tape monitor of my receiver took a smidge of impact away from the bass (very subtle) so I have to decide what's next for me:

1. Keep the Asgard and plug it into my Oppo for disc listening. Use my receiver's headphone jack for records and tapes.
2. Keep the Asgard in the tape monitor and use it for all music. Live with the slight loss of bass slam.
3. Return the Asgard and use the receiver only until I find an amp that's a significant improvement over the Asgard.
4. Return the Asgard and join the 21st century. Digitize all of my music and add a bunch of acronyms to my system (DAC, USB, HDMI, FLAC, etc.). rolleyes.gif
post #4133 of 37369

I'm tired of repeating the virtues of tube laced synergy against discrete solid state. The assumptions about tubes and the HD650 are way off mark though. I'll leave you guys to it.

post #4134 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley View Post

I'm surprised to hear you say that people recommend a tube amp for HD-650s. It used to be common wisdom that the HD-650 work best with a solid state amp because the HD-650s have a generally warmer-than-neutral signature and the midbass emphasis a lot of tube amps provide as part of their sound can provide less than stellar results. I've always preferred a SS amp for my HD-650, seems just right, if it tipped over into a darker presentation I might find it less pleasant.

 

Edit: Further reading shows that it's, what, a mildly colored solid state amp? Should be fine, I would think?



All depends on the tubes and amp..  I used my 650's for years with a decent ss amp and was in no hurry to try anything else. I then bought an X Can 3 hybrid to go with my Rs1's but when I tried the 650's with it, I was quite literally blown away! The soundstage for a start was much bigger and there seemed to be more realness to instrument timbres. I now use a powerfull OTL amp and the treble is no darker than my ss, only the sound is less synthetic (for look of a better word). It's arguable that bass will always be tighter with a good ss amp, but for me real bass in the concert hall isn't really that tight... 

 

I do think the 650's work great with a good ss, but the power that you get from tubes really brings out the best in them imo.    

 

post #4135 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpotato View Post

   Anyone have some insights as to how the HD650s would mate with a Ming-Da MC84-C07 ?  I listen to mostly classical ... of all genres ...

 

           Many thanks in advance ... beerchug.gif



 



Works well together, lots of power from the Ming Da.  I preferred the Ming Da full tube over the Lehmann BCL ss amp.  The Ming Da is a particularly midcentric tubey sounding amp.  I like tubes over solid state for the HD650 especially. 

 

I currently run the HD650 out of a $160 e-bay Earmax OTL clone and prefer it slightly more than balanced out of the Phoenix amplifier.  Tubes seem to sacrifice some bass tightness for a more natural and smoother treble response and a better midrange, a worthwhile trade-off IMO.

 

In fact I feel a tubed HD650 starts to sound closer to a solid state driven LCD-2 in terms of treble naturalness, ie no freakin annoying grain.  The HD650 is the can for watching movies for me as I can layback and relax, they are light and comfortable.  I positively seem to dislike the treble of the HD650 with all solid state amps I have owned (Phoenix and Lehmann BCL).


Edited by SP Wild - 8/11/11 at 1:59am
post #4136 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefguy View Post

Just want to welcome myself. New to head-fi. Forced to go to an apartment, and box up my Dynaudio/Bryston 2-channel system. Figured I would try some cans out. Just picked up a mint pair of HD 650's off FleaBay for $240 shipped. I plan on using the BP25DA pre-amp (integrated 44.1khz DAC) with these, which I assume will drive them sufficiently. Music source will be FLAC (Lossless ripped from CD's) from my HP MediaSmart server networked to a Squeezebox Touch with a digital coax out to the BP25DA. The Bryston DAC will be used. The music library will be accessed wirelessly with an Ipod Touch (w/ installed Squeezebox Application). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm an audiophile, but not a snob :)



great price on a mint set.  keep in mind there are two versions of the hd650. if you go back in this thread you can see the differences.  what suggestions are looking for? ar eyou looking for an amp?

post #4137 of 37369

Quote:

Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

I confess, I've been very curious about the HD800 of late. Although the similarities between the LCD-2 and HD650 is overstated imo, it is still a relatively safe progression. I've not regretted going against the grain in the past, and I wonder what the outcome may have been if I'd gone out on a limb with the HD800.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

My old (#3406) and current pair (#9311) sound identical. The low-bass versions were mostly the serial #s below 1000.

The bass was boosted since then but the treble hasn't really changed. In fact, it might have been increased near the 6KHz region.


Trouble with HD800s is that it's easy to do better for the price: ie. LCD-2s, HE-6, HE-500s.  (Especially the HE-6)  And all three of those aren't as picky as HD800s can be.  And if the weight and cost of the planars bother you, the K701s are 80% there and the Stax SR-Lambda Pros are 90% at 1/4 price.


Edited by sphinxvc - 8/11/11 at 7:06am
post #4138 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Warm up. Doesn't take long though, and it's not like they sound bad in the beginning.
 

+1
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I just received my Schiit Asgard in the mail today and spent all afternoon listening to my 650s through it. My source is an Oppo BDP-83 connected directly to the Asgard via analog RCA.

<snip>

Running the Asgard through the tape monitor of my receiver took a smidge of impact away from the bass (very subtle) so I have to decide what's next for me:

1. Keep the Asgard and plug it into my Oppo for disc listening. Use my receiver's headphone jack for records and tapes.
2. Keep the Asgard in the tape monitor and use it for all music. Live with the slight loss of bass slam.
3. Return the Asgard and use the receiver only until I find an amp that's a significant improvement over the Asgard.
4. Return the Asgard and join the 21st century. Digitize all of my music and add a bunch of acronyms to my system (DAC, USB, HDMI, FLAC, etc.). rolleyes.gif


 

Welcome to the 21st century!  This is the Spend-Fi forum and we are all enablers.  What are you waiting for?  beerchug.gif

 

You may also be able to unbridge your receiver's preamp from the amp like I could with my Denon and use each section alone as needed. 

 

Or pick up one of HeadAmp's GS-1s (you'll thank me later) and a Benchmark, Stello or DacMagic dac.  If you have to use USB, you're probably going to need a transport unless you go with the Benchmark. 

 

Yes, it will cost a few bucks to do that, but the 650s scale really well.

post #4139 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

Just buy the cans first and see how it sounds with the receiver. It's true the HD650 will scale with the gear it's hooked up to, but there may be very good synergy with the Onkyo. Give it a try.


MY 650's sound ok with my Onkyo receiver
post #4140 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post



+1
 

 




 

Welcome to the 21st century!  This is the Spend-Fi forum and we are all enablers.  What are you waiting for?  beerchug.gif

 

You may also be able to unbridge your receiver's preamp from the amp like I could with my Denon and use each section alone as needed. 

 

Or pick up one of HeadAmp's GS-1s (you'll thank me later) and a Benchmark, Stello or DacMagic dac.  If you have to use USB, you're probably going to need a transport unless you go with the Benchmark. 

 

Yes, it will cost a few bucks to do that, but the 650s scale really well.




Thanks for the advice. I've heard of some of that stuff (DacMagic) but I'll have to read up on the other things you mentioned and get familiar with the technology.

 

I'm really on the fence here. I took a break overnight and did some listening again and it's really hard to decide where I am. With some recordings, the 650's sound wonderful (Fleetwood Mac Rumors RBCD for example) and on others they are bloated and dull (Diana Krall Look of Love RBCD for example). On the bloated and dull recordings, the 600's are better. But when the 650's are shining, man they sound so sweet and smooth.

 

I was originally trying to add casual headphone listening to my existing setup. Now that I'm hooked, I think I will probably just start over and spend money and on proper gear.

 

I made a sampler disc by ripping some CD's to my computer in lossless .wav format. Is there a better way to do that? Can I rip SACD's? I have a large collection and I would like to be able to listen to them lossless too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread