or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 272

post #4066 of 36890
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

best amp for hd 650 between matrix m stage and asgard/valhalla? or whats the best recommendation up to the valhalla's price range

I'm coming from an E7 E9 combo.


The Matrix and Schiit are both analog input only.

What about the NuForce Icon HD? It's designed for computer listening (USB input), is an amp and DAC combined, and has a nice form factor. It's a quality piece from an American company (with an excellent return policy if you don't like it).
Edited by palmfish - 8/9/11 at 9:16am
post #4067 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

 

I've been lurking around this site for a while and found that the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is one of the best amps for the HD650. The kit is around $320. I'm saving up to make it mine.

 

It is also is ranked above the Valhalla by Skylab in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-32-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps. YMMV.

 

 



 



 

The Bottlehead needs to be built, so not really an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Code:

The Matrix and Schiit are both analog input only.

What about the NuForce Icon HD? It's designed for computer listening (USB input), is an amp and DAC combined, and has a nice form factor. It's a quality piece from an American company (with an excellent return policy if you don't like it).

 

Would this be that much better than an e7 e9 combo?
 

 

post #4068 of 36890

theres a bottlehead in the fs forum built.

post #4069 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post





 

The Bottlehead needs to be built, so not really an option for me.

 

Would this be that much better than an e7 e9 combo?
 

 




I've never heard the E7/E9 combo. I suspect that the differences between a $200 DAC/amp combo (E7/E9) and a $350 DAC/amp combo (Icon HD) will be subtle. Some may hear the difference, others maybe not.

 

NuForce has excellent customer service. Why don't you do like I did - order one and if it's not what you're looking for, return it?

 

Schiit also has excellent customer service and 15 day return policy. Matrix - made and shipped from China? I'd be more careful...

post #4070 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post






I've never heard the E7/E9 combo. I suspect that the differences between a $200 DAC/amp combo (E7/E9) and a $350 DAC/amp combo (Icon HD) will be subtle. Some may hear the difference, others maybe not.

 

NuForce has excellent customer service. Why don't you do like I did - order one and if it's not what you're looking for, return it?

 

Schiit also has excellent customer service and 15 day return policy. Matrix - made and shipped from China? I'd be more careful...

I love the abilities of the Nuforce Icon HD/HDP. Is there a DAC amp with similar flexibilty of inputs that has outstanding performance with the HD 650?
 

 

post #4071 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post



I love the abilities of the Nuforce Icon HD/HDP. Is there a DAC amp with similar flexibilty of inputs that has outstanding performance with the HD 650?
 

 


Based on my time spent with the NuForce, I think you would have to be extremely picky and "golden-eared" to want better.

I thought the combo (NuForce/650) sounded very good. If I didn't personally need analog inputs, I would have kept it.
post #4072 of 36890


     Quote:

Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

I've been lurking around this site for a while and found that the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is one of the best amps for the HD650. The kit is around $320. I'm saving up to make it mine.

 


I think you're really going to love it aroldan!  I am one of many who thinks that the crack really delivers the best the 650's have to offer, and in my view, you are going to get 95% of the sonic benefits straight out of the stock ($220) kit.  

 

The speedball is a worthwhile upgrade when you have the cash (and an interesting build).  It tightens the bass up a bit, lowers the noise floor, and allows you to run 12bh7a tubes up front, but the improvements are fairly subtle on the whole.  To my ears, rolling tubes has a more obvious impact on the sound.  (FWIW - RCA 12au7 cleartops can easily be found for $10-15 on ebay, and play very nicely with the 650's in this amp.)

 

In any event, I'd recommend building it stock first and adding the speedball later.

post #4073 of 36890

I heard the Bottlehead crack in a past Seattle meet, it was indeed a very fine amp and sounded really good with HD600 setup. The DAC was another DIY kit that Doc B built I think and it was playing through Amarra. I imagine it would also sound great with HD650. If I was starting off on my headphone journey, I think I would have went with the Bottlehead amps as my first tube amp.

post #4074 of 36890

I have a dumb question.

 

I really want the HD650 for music and movies to avoid the neighbors from calling police, but I also would like the Bose QC15 for when I am mobile and just general noise blockage inside and outside. Is there a huge sound comparison with the HF650 and the Bose QC15? I cannot get both now, so its either one or the other.  What do you guy suggest. Try not to flame me too much since I am a noob here. Thank you.

 

Oh yea and why do they call headphones "CANS"


Edited by Uptown193 - 8/9/11 at 12:08pm
post #4075 of 36890

Just got my HD650s. Sadly my HDP is at home so I can't listen to them now. This will be a long day...

post #4076 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post

I have a dumb question.

 

I really want the HD650 for music and movies to avoid the neighbors from calling police, but I also would like the Bose QC15 for when I am mobile and just general noise blockage inside and outside. Is there a huge sound comparison with the HF650 and the Bose QC15? I cannot get both now, so its either one or the other.  What do you guy suggest. Try not to flame me too much since I am a noob here. Thank you.

 

Oh yea and why do they call headphones "CANS"


There called cans because they look like cans.. I think?

 

Yeah there will be a big sound quality diffrence between the 650's and well.. pretty much any Bose headphone. Also, there are a lot more cheaper options out there now for noise cancelling and portability, no need to rely on rip off merchants such as Bose anymore! Theres a few threads on here for such headphones.  
 

 

post #4077 of 36890

I really appreciate your advice. I will buy the stock kit first! I have several 12AU7 tubes (RCA cleartop, blackplates, Mullards, among others) as I used to own a Bravo V2. I doubt I can wait so much longer now smily_headphones1.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


     Quote:


I think you're really going to love it aroldan!  I am one of many who thinks that the crack really delivers the best the 650's have to offer, and in my view, you are going to get 95% of the sonic benefits straight out of the stock ($220) kit.  

 

The speedball is a worthwhile upgrade when you have the cash (and an interesting build).  It tightens the bass up a bit, lowers the noise floor, and allows you to run 12bh7a tubes up front, but the improvements are fairly subtle on the whole.  To my ears, rolling tubes has a more obvious impact on the sound.  (FWIW - RCA 12au7 cleartops can easily be found for $10-15 on ebay, and play very nicely with the 650's in this amp.)

 

In any event, I'd recommend building it stock first and adding the speedball later.



 

post #4078 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by puresilence View Post

Just got my HD650s. Sadly my HDP is at home so I can't listen to them now. This will be a long day...


Would you say that the Nuforce HDP is a a worthwhile investment for the HD 650?
post #4079 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post



Would you say that the Nuforce HDP is a a worthwhile investment for the HD 650?


A lot of people like the synergy between the HDP and the HD 650, which is why I bought both. I'll get back to you as the HD650 burns in.

post #4080 of 36890
Quote:
Originally Posted by puresilence View Post





A lot of people like the synergy between the HDP and the HD 650, which is why I bought both. I'll get back to you as the HD650 burns in.


Appreciated, am leaning towards this unit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread