or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 270

post #4036 of 37363

thanks for the recommendations on where to buy.

 

Stupidly i never considered what amps i'm gonna get, and as a consequence don't have an unlimited budget for it!

 

What's an entry level affordable desktop amp that's suitable for the 650's?

 

(I know i may be crucified) and, what's a decent portable headphone amp, battery powered, for work? again entry level/affordable

 

post #4037 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyMovements View Post

thanks for the recommendations on where to buy.

 

Stupidly i never considered what amps i'm gonna get, and as a consequence don't have an unlimited budget for it!

 

What's an entry level affordable desktop amp that's suitable for the 650's?

 

(I know i may be crucified) and, what's a decent portable headphone amp, battery powered, for work? again entry level/affordable

 


People seem to mention Darkvoice alot. I've never owned one before (i still need to buy the HD650 lol), but they're supposed to pair wonderfully with the HD650.

 

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jil8tvKHEA4#at=25

 

post #4038 of 37363

My Darkvoice 337 is for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565701/darkvoice-337-with-tubes#post_7655451
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPuppy View Post




People seem to mention Darkvoice alot. I've never owned one before (i still need to buy the HD650 lol), but they're supposed to pair wonderfully with the HD650.

 

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jil8tvKHEA4#at=25

 



 

post #4039 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyowl View Post




Intersesting comments regarding the performance of the vintage receiver vs. the hp amp.  I find it surprising that you consider the receiver "under-amped" in its ability to drive the Senns.  Maybe it just reflects the overall sound quality from the receiver. Any other opinions on the hp-out from vintage receivers, amps, etc.in their ability to get the 650s to sing.  (Let's say pre-Chinese manufacture from major audio companies).
 

 




Yeah, I'm stumped. I started with the HD598's a month ago and the bass was utterly flabby. I suspected an impedance matching/dampening issue so I tried the HD650. The HD650 was much improved down low, but still somewhat bloated/uncontrolled sounding. This led me to believe that the internal headphone amp simply wasn't adequate.

 

It's a Carver Receiver (MXR-130) that I purchased new in 1985. It was fairly expensive in it's day so I assumed the headphone stage was of decent quality. On the other hand, I have never listened to headphones through it until recently, so I have no baseline to work from.

 

Like you mentioned, I have suspected that it's not the headphone stage and simply the way the speaker amp (or just the headphone stage?) is voiced, but I don't know how to test that theory. All I can think of is to test my headphones with as many combinations as I can and see if I can find a setup that pleases me.

 

I plan to listen to the 598, 600, and 650 all through the Carver and Asgard to try and find the solution that works. I plan on connecting the Asgard to the Carver tape monitor loop and also directly to my Oppo BDP-83 2-channel analog output. This should indicate if the Carver is coloring the sound at all. I will also try the Asgard with my Pioneer Elite AVR pre-out. I also have a 1/4" plug to RCA adapter that I could use to hook the Asgard up to the headphone jack. This last option seems like the most reliable way to see if it's the Carver amp or headphone stage coloring the sound.

 

That's all I can think of short of abandoning Sennheiser and moving to AKG...

 

 


Edited by palmfish - 8/7/11 at 7:22pm
post #4040 of 37363
Where do you guys buy all your amps/cables? E.g where do u buy cardas/mogami and schiit Asgard amps?
post #4041 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post






Yeah, I'm stumped. I started with the HD598's a month ago and the bass was utterly flabby. I suspected an impedance matching/dampening issue so I tried the HD650. The HD650 was much improved down low, but still somewhat bloated/uncontrolled sounding. This led me to believe that the internal headphone amp simply wasn't adequate.

 

It's a Carver Receiver (MXR-130) that I purchased new in 1985. It was fairly expensive in it's day so I assumed the headphone stage was of decent quality. On the other hand, I have never listened to headphones through it until recently, so I have no baseline to work from.

 

Like you mentioned, I have suspected that it's not the headphone stage and simply the way the speaker amp (or just the headphone stage?) is voiced, but I don't know how to test that theory. All I can think of is to test my headphones with as many combinations as I can and see if I can find a setup that pleases me.

 

I plan to listen to the 598, 600, and 650 all through the Carver and Asgard to try and find the solution that works. I plan on connecting the Asgard to the Carver tape monitor loop and also directly to my Oppo BDP-83 2-channel analog output. This should indicate if the Carver is coloring the sound at all. I will also try the Asgard with my Pioneer Elite AVR pre-out. I also have a 1/4" plug to RCA adapter that I could use to hook the Asgard up to the headphone jack. This last option seems like the most reliable way to see if it's the Carver amp or headphone stage coloring the sound.

 

That's all I can think of short of abandoning Sennheiser and moving to AKG...

 

 


I'd try that. I'm of the general notion that if it's not designed for headphones specifically (in this case, a receiver) it won't sound that great, at least in comparison to dedicated options.

 

post #4042 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by puresilence View Post




I'd try that. I'm of the general notion that if it's not designed for headphones specifically (in this case, a receiver) it won't sound that great, at least in comparison to dedicated options.

 


That's the truth.

I originally planned to pick up some nice mid-range headphones and be done with it. I figured if it had a jack, it was good to go. I've been an audio enthusiast for 30+ years and yet I knew nothing about this sub culture. I had no idea that I would enjoy listening to cans on my head as much as I do.

It's been a lot of fun though and I think I will be here for the long haul now that I'm here.

I say all this because I think I'm qualified to agree with you now. If I had known from the start about this hobby, I probably wouldn't have ever tried to use my Carver as a headphone amp. My Carver is the hub of a nice-sounding analog stereo system and it works well with my turntable, cassette deck, disc player and speakers. But now that I've added headphones to the mix, I shouldn't have to modify my lifestyle to accommodate them. I don't want to sit by my computer and listen to .wav files - I want to sit in my comfy chair by the fireplace and play vinyl records.

So ultimately it will come down to whether it is easier to add the Asgard to the tape monitor loop or replace the Carver. And like you said, if it's designed to power speakers, chances are it won't be adequate for headphones. I'll cross that bridge if the Asgard doesn't work out...
Edited by palmfish - 8/7/11 at 9:05pm
post #4043 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPuppy View Post


 



How would this compare to the E7/E9?


I have no clue. Do note I am not a Fiio fan ;-)

 

 

post #4044 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Where do you guys buy all your amps/cables? E.g where do u buy cardas/mogami and schiit Asgard amps?


As far as the Asgard goes, direct from Schiit

 

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1

post #4045 of 37363

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyMovements View Post

thanks for the recommendations on where to buy.

 

Stupidly i never considered what amps i'm gonna get, and as a consequence don't have an unlimited budget for it!

 

What's an entry level affordable desktop amp that's suitable for the 650's?

 

(I know i may be crucified) and, what's a decent portable headphone amp, battery powered, for work? again entry level/affordable

 


The Millett MiniMax (and I suspect the Millett Max) is superb with Senns - there are several for sale on the FS Forum between $200 and $300.
 

 

post #4046 of 37363


Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Where do you guys buy all your amps/cables? E.g where do u buy cardas/mogami and schiit Asgard amps?


I got my RAL Cryo-Silver cable from Revalation Audio Labs - it is superb with the HD650's, though I think I like the Cardas Senn cable better with the "old version" HD600's. 

 

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/

 

Just ask Brad for a quote on the Senn cables.  They were priced pretty reasonable when I got mine 4+ years ago - though, the price of Silver has jumped almost 800% since then.  If they're that expensive now - I'd just stick with the stock HD650 cable for the "new version" HD650's - sounds good with them. 
 

 

post #4047 of 37363
Can anyone give an opinion as to Asgard vs Valhalla? Tube vs SS with the hd650? I am coming from an e7 e9 combo.

And thanks for the previous replies.
post #4048 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Can anyone give an opinion as to Asgard vs Valhalla? Tube vs SS with the hd650? I am coming from an e7 e9 combo.

And thanks for the previous replies.


This is a useful: http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

 

Are you planning to upgrade from the E7 DAC, or are just going to line out?

post #4049 of 37363
That Headfonia article greatly undersells the Lyr imo. Anyone who's ever heard it with tubes other than the stock (at the time) JJ tubes will attest to the considerable improvements the right tubes can produce.

Anyone willing to tune the HD650 to their preference should be looking at tubes.
post #4050 of 37363
Quote:
Originally Posted by puresilence View Post





This is a useful: http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

 

Are you planning to upgrade from the E7 DAC, or are just going to line out?



I have always done the majority of my listening on my pc, so a DAC IMO is needed. It would either have been:

Pc>>E7>>Asgard/Valhalla>>HD650

Or

Pc>>Bifrost>>E9>>HD650

I don't think the Bifrost has a headphone out.
I can save up and get the second component from schiit later on, need it be DAC or amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread