or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 253

post #3781 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post



Hows the build? good stress relief etc?
 

 



The build is pretty much what you would expect from a homemade cable, not the last word in finesse but it is strong. Never had any problems. If aesthetics is a key factor in your choosing then you may want to try the cheaper quad one, as they are popular and do look nice.      

 

post #3782 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I'm not sure why people say the 650's are too noisy/leaky for work. I'm listening to classical music at a comfortable volume, and I can't hear anything whatsoever more than 4 feet or so away. Maybe if I was blasting rock really loud, but it seems just fine for me. Although it probably depends somewhat on ambient noise levels of where you work.


 

you're not listening to them loud enough then!  :)

 

Glad you got your headphones and now can see why we all recommended to spend a bit more than what you're initial budget entailed.  You'll see when you get that dac/amp it'll be a nice upgrade.  I know sometimes when I jam my Denon's straight through my laptop (they're not too hard to drive unlike my Sennheisers) they sound "nice" and I get used to it but when I switch back to the dac/amp it reminds me why I got this thing.  The HD600's it's a no-brainer they need the amp.  I've had plenty of listening to the HD650 but it was always through my friend's Benchmark DAC PRE 1.  Amazing headphones when amplified.

 

EDIT: I'll tell you what sounds epic on these types of headphones (and it's music I normally don't listen to).  Try some of the classics from U2, Sting, Enya, and The Eagles.  Simply phenomenal.  The intro for "One" by U2 on the HD600 are intense...I'm sure it's equal on the 650s.  :)  Just make sure it's PCM or FLAC...no no to MP3.  ;)  The details are plentiful here.  His vocals...the instruments...etc.  Happy listening.


Edited by N0sferatu - 7/23/11 at 8:11am
post #3783 of 36851

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

I'm not sure how you'd run the diffMaker on headphone cables??  confused_face_2.gif

 

But I would love to see anyone post some files on interconnects, usb. coax or toslink.

 


Granted, it would require a very minor diy effort if we're talking about about a pre-made Senn cable, but I'm sure there are hundreds of members of this forum who could easily create the necessary interconnect/adaptor with a stereo input jack at one end (to plug into the PC) and some appropriate set of jumpers at the other to connect to the four pins on the headphone end of the cable.  $10 in parts and < 30 mins soldering would likely get the job done.  Then a few simple clicks of the mouse could put all the claims of a multi-million dollar after-market cable industry to the test...

 

It would be even easier to test for alleged differences between stock and the cardas/mogami etc. options popular among the diy crowd.  Just snip the stock cable and then you really are just comparing two interconnects.

 

 

 

post #3784 of 36851

I just wonder how I even find FLAC or high quality mp3 at least. I guess it's because I'm used to free online radio, which isn't always the best quality (but a whole lot better than youtube). I guess I'll have to go back to CDs, but I don't have many. Hmm.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0sferatu View Post

you're not listening to them loud enough then!  :)

 

Glad you got your headphones and now can see why we all recommended to spend a bit more than what you're initial budget entailed.  You'll see when you get that dac/amp it'll be a nice upgrade.  I know sometimes when I jam my Denon's straight through my laptop (they're not too hard to drive unlike my Sennheisers) they sound "nice" and I get used to it but when I switch back to the dac/amp it reminds me why I got this thing.  The HD600's it's a no-brainer they need the amp.  I've had plenty of listening to the HD650 but it was always through my friend's Benchmark DAC PRE 1.  Amazing headphones when amplified.

 

EDIT: I'll tell you what sounds epic on these types of headphones (and it's music I normally don't listen to).  Try some of the classics from U2, Sting, Enya, and The Eagles.  Simply phenomenal.  The intro for "One" by U2 on the HD600 are intense...I'm sure it's equal on the 650s.  :)  Just make sure it's PCM or FLAC...no no to MP3.  ;)  The details are plentiful here.  His vocals...the instruments...etc.  Happy listening.


 

 

post #3785 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post


Granted, it would require a very minor diy effort if we're talking about about a pre-made Senn cable, but I'm sure there are hundreds of members of this forum who could easily create the necessary interconnect/adaptor with a stereo input jack at one end (to plug into the PC) and some appropriate set of jumpers at the other to connect to the four pins on the headphone end of the cable.  $10 in parts and < 30 mins soldering would likely get the job done.  Then a few simple clicks of the mouse could put all the claims of a multi-million dollar after-market cable industry to the test...

 

It would be even easier to test for alleged differences between stock and the cardas/mogami etc. options popular among the diy crowd.  Just snip the stock cable and then you really are just comparing two interconnects.

 

 


 

confused.gif  Good ideas, but you don't really see anybody doing that do you ?  confused.gif

 

I can tell you first hand, that it's an extremely humbling and depressing experience to make comparisons, of cables and/or devices, where you've heard differences, and discover that there are really no differences.  It's the main reason I don't test anymore.

post #3786 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Aftermarket cables do make changes to the sound of headphones. A/B'ing them makes this clear to me.


I had little to no use for expensive cables until a direct A->B with a stock cable->650s and a Cardas->650s. I was with another headfier with the same cans and we both detected a more than subtle improvement in SQ with the Cardas. To each his own but the experience convinced me of the value of a decent aftermarket cable with the HD650s. The Cardas helped bring out "more" of everything I like about these cans without changing the sound sig.

 

EDIT: Just to be clear, we had two sets of HD650s coming from the same source/amp simultaneously. To be sure it wasn't a difference in the headphones themselves, we switched cables and heard the same improvement with both headphones when using the Cardas cable.

 

 

 


Edited by Hellenback - 7/24/11 at 6:38pm
post #3787 of 36851

Officially an H650 owner.  They sound so **** smooth.  I'm not quite ready to say I like them better than my 325is( especially with certain types of music), but **** is the midrange and the bass beautiful.  Its like I'm in another world.  They're so atmospheric

post #3788 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergeUnify View Post

Officially an H650 owner.  They sound so **** smooth.  I'm not quite ready to say I like them better than my 325is( especially with certain types of music), but **** is the midrange and the bass beautiful.  Its like I'm in another world.  They're so atmospheric


 

HD650 and SR325i..fantastic combo you got there.

post #3789 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad View Post




 

HD650 and SR325i..fantastic combo you got there.



the guy I bought them from asked "so are you just going to sell your Grados on craiglist now?"

 

I said not a chance, and he was baffled  o2smile.gif

 

I feel connected to my Grados, it would be so hard to sell them after not having them for over a year.  They sound so lively.  The Senns sound great, but the Grados make me feel like I have a mini concert being played right to my ears


Edited by DivergeUnify - 7/24/11 at 9:15pm
post #3790 of 36851

I just recently got a pair of 650's and am running them through a xonar STX.  I was thinking of getting a matrix m-stage would this be a worth wild investment?

post #3791 of 36851

ive purchase the hd650 about 3 times. the first time they were magic, after that not so much. its so weird... i keep wanting to go back to it!  im getting a ZDSE and its stuppose to be very good with the HD650 but im wondering if its worth it.

post #3792 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceEatin2010GT View Post

I just recently got a pair of 650's and am running them through a xonar STX.  I was thinking of getting a matrix m-stage would this be a worth wild investment?


I would think so as I've read some good things about that pairing.

 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

ive purchase the hd650 about 3 times. the first time they were magic, after that not so much. its so weird... i keep wanting to go back to it!  im getting a ZDSE and its stuppose to be very good with the HD650 but im wondering if its worth it.


Three times?!  Hmm, if I may ask, why did you get sell them the first time?

 


Edited by Digital-Pride - 7/25/11 at 7:31am
post #3793 of 36851

for bigger and better things.  it was at the beginning of my journey and there were so many headphones to try... so little money to do so.

 

edit: i guess using the phrase "for bigger and better things" isnt quite right.  ive tried headphones in all ranges, cheaper and more expensive since having the hd650.  some more expensive i didnt like, some cheaper i didnt like. its all part of the journey. 


Edited by caracara08 - 7/25/11 at 8:03am
post #3794 of 36851

I am a new HD 650 owner and also new to audiophile headphones. Reading through this thread, I don't get the impression that many people think cables have no effect on the sound. I think some people are simply saying that aftermarket cables don't necessarily "improve" the sound. Personally, that's what I believe too.

 

I chose the HD 650's because I like how they sound. Period. If I was at all unhappy with them or thought they needed improvement, I would have bought something else. But, that's just me. I understand the desire for the hobbyist to tinker and tweak to find a "better" sound. Just like any hobby, it's fun to experiment and personalize to make something uniquely yours.

 

For me though, there are too many places in the source and component chain that affect the sound for me to try and tweak the sound of my headphones. And really, does anybody know what the HD 650's (or any headphone) are "supposed" to sound like? 

 

I think that the HD 650's are designed to sound the way they sound. I personally like the way they sound. If you "upgrade" the cable, all you are doing is coloring the sound differently than the Sennheiser engineers did to suit your particular taste. And that's totally fine - it's what the hobby is all about!

 

What I don't get are the people who refuse to use tone controls or EQ to tune the sound for the sake of remaining true to the source. In my opinion, changing the cable, or your DAC, or amp, or tonearm, or stylus or interconnects, etc. is no different than turning a tone control knob on your preamp. Hell, I have three recordings of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and they all sound different. Which one sounds best? Which one sounds truest to the artists/engineers intent? I don't know.

 

I may be new to audiophile headphones, but I have been a hi-fi enthusiast for more than 30 years and I have owned a lot of equipment during that time. Presently, I listen to 2 primary audio systems in my home. My HD 650's sound different on each of them (warmer and richer on my analog setup and more neutral/analytical on my all digital setup), but I like the way they sound on them both. I have no intention of trying different cables.


Edited by palmfish - 7/25/11 at 8:44am
post #3795 of 36851

Anyone who has tried both knows that EQ and cable changes aren't the same. EQs only change frequency balance (tone). Cables can change frequency balance, as well as qualitative properties like attack, decay, soundstage and reduce grain etc. I've used equalizers for years, and they have their place, but they only achieve a small part of what cable upgrades do. 

 

(Not directed to anyone in particular) I say buy and listen for yourself, and stop arguing until you've owned some high-end cables yourself.

 

Getting back on topic, the HD650s sound different with a silver, copper and SPC cable. You can pick out the sound of each if you have them side-by-side (which I've done).


Edited by Shahrose - 7/25/11 at 8:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread