or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 250

post #3736 of 36851

Well... no matter what your belief is regarding the benefits of custom cables - they do make a very noticeable difference in the sound quality.  Though, I don't know that I would consider the improvement proportionate to their cost. 

 

I very much prefer the sonic attributes of silver interconnects and headphone cables - which almost always add clarity, detail and resolution to the sound - at least they have for me.   A silver cable was mandatory for the "old version" HD650's to bring out their highs. 

 

Though, I prefer the Cardas copper cable for the "old version" HD600's.

 

For the "new versions" of these phones, the stock new HD650 cable, seemed to do fine - they didn't benefit that much from an expensive silver cable.  Carefully matching the source and amp to them, was far more important.   

post #3737 of 36851

It has always been my belief that "serious" headphones come with the cable they were designed to use with regards to impedance loads. Now I may very well be wrong but wouldn't the use of silver reduce the designed load due to higher conductivity?

post #3738 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




For the money they charge for their 800s for instance, it's inconceivable that Sennheiser would go for a cable that gave them anything less than the exact sound signature they were looking for..... 

 

And I think the same applies to the 650s.

 

Bought in "Sennheiser" volume bulk, cables are just not that expensive.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. If you believe in marketing bs, that Sennheiser designed a cable to deliver best possible sound for their headphones, you are entitled to your own opinion. This debate can go on forever. 

 

If your argument is that Sennheiser cable is less expensive and that there is no point in buying other cables, I beg to differ.

 

If you have the tools and the ability to DIY, you can buy inexpensive wire like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/22-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Assortment-50-feet-19-strand-/380347669616?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1466569456509569147#ht_500wt_1321

and build yourself a nice cable. 

 

Of course, that is my opinion...always better to experiment on your own and see what you like best. 

 


Edited by SemiAudiophile - 7/19/11 at 9:01pm
post #3739 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here. If you believe in marketing bs, that Sennheiser designed a cable to deliver best possible sound for their headphones, you are entitled to your own opinion. This debate can go on forever. 

 

If your argument is that Sennheiser cable is less expensive and that there is no point in buying other cables, I beg to differ.

 

If you have the tools and the ability to DIY, you can buy inexpensive wire like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/22-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Assortment-50-feet-19-strand-/380347669616?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1466569456509569147#ht_500wt_1321

and build yourself a nice cable. 

 

Of course, that is my opinion...always better to experiment on your own and see what you like best. 

 


My point, not argument, is that Sennheiser is a big company and can buy their cables in bulk thus reducing the cost to a minimal amount.  If a particular cable made the 650s or 800s sound better, Sennheiser would use it, and if the price of the headphones went up a buck or two, we would pay it without blinking an eye.

 

post #3740 of 36851
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

 

My point, not argument, is that Sennheiser is a big company and can buy their cables in bulk thus reducing the cost to a minimal amount.  

 

Irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

 

If a particular cable made the 650s or 800s sound better, Sennheiser would use it, and if the price of the headphones went up a buck or two, we would pay it without blinking an eye.

 

How do you know this? You are now writing as if this is fact. 

 

This is getting far off topic, however. I am volunteering myself out of this conversation. 


Edited by SemiAudiophile - 7/19/11 at 10:06pm
post #3741 of 36851

Did I cheat myself by skipping the lower end Sennheisers and going straight to the 650s? 

post #3742 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post

Did I cheat myself by skipping the lower end Sennheisers and going straight to the 650s? 



In what sense?

post #3743 of 36851

Just purchased a fresh new pair of Sennheiser HD 650s with an Audio-gd NFB-12 amplifier to go with it! Words cannot describe the audio bliss I have been immersing myself in for the past week. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to listening to music on anything that isn't on par with these cans, it just wouldn't be the same.

 

Random question, how do you experienced HD 650 users out there clean the velour material that are used for the earcups? I have noticed some gradual but minimal build-up of lint and the occasional dog hair here and there, so I was just wondering about how to go about cleaning it, since I'd like to keep these in near mint condition for as long as possible.

 

I was thinking a simple strip of tape would be effective, but would this possibly pull off a lot more than just what I intended it for? 

post #3744 of 36851

I watch a lot of Deutsche Grammophon/Decca Classical promotional videos, and some recordings use the HD650s to monitor. Thought that was pretty cool.

post #3745 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post

Did I cheat myself by skipping the lower end Sennheisers and going straight to the 650s? 

 

I wouldn't think so unless you include the HD 600 in the "lower end" category (the 600 is basically the same as the 650 but sells for $30 less). I do not know of any other Senn series that sound as good as the 600/650, even the upper 500 series. Mind you, I have not tried the HD 800 yet
 

 


Edited by HearDrum - 7/20/11 at 6:25am
post #3746 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post

Did I cheat myself by skipping the lower end Sennheisers and going straight to the 650s? 



Sennheiser make sooo many different hp types for different purposes. If you where after the ulitmate Hifi headphone without getting into silly money then you've got it. Anything less would have just made you wonder what the 650's were like. I had the 595's for a few years but always wondered how much better the 650's were, and so it was inevitable that I was going to buy some. So in that sense you've probably saved yourself some money!    

 

post #3747 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I had the 595's for a few years but always wondered how much better the 650's were, and so it was inevitable that I was going to buy some.    

 


Same here, just substitute HD600 for 650 (could not tell the difference). In fact I think it is not possible to own a 595 or 598 without wondering what the 600/650 sound like. Still have my 595s but they have been relegated to gaming duties. 595s are not bad cans, far from it, but not just as good. Also, despite their more traditional design the 600 series are sturdier and more comfortable.   

 

post #3748 of 36851



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyong View Post

Just purchased a fresh new pair of Sennheiser HD 650s with an Audio-gd NFB-12 amplifier to go with it! Words cannot describe the audio bliss I have been immersing myself in for the past week. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to listening to music on anything that isn't on par with these cans, it just wouldn't be the same.

 

Random question, how do you experienced HD 650 users out there clean the velour material that are used for the earcups? I have noticed some gradual but minimal build-up of lint and the occasional dog hair here and there, so I was just wondering about how to go about cleaning it, since I'd like to keep these in near mint condition for as long as possible.

 

I was thinking a simple strip of tape would be effective, but would this possibly pull off a lot more than just what I intended it for? 



A small piece of upholstery foam rubber as common in furniture cushions is perfect for cleaning

 

post #3749 of 36851

Has anyone tried these soundwise without the thick foam piece covering driver? (mine at least is separate from the velour cushion)


Edited by DrHouse - 7/21/11 at 4:40pm
post #3750 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Has anyone tried these soundwise without the thick foam piece covering driver? (mine at least is separate from the velour cushion)


If you're talking about the foam beneath the cushions - yes.  There is quite a lot of discussion of "de-veiling" the Senns in the various Senn threads about 4+ years ago.  Most prefer their sound with the foam removed.  Though, I covered mine with thin nylon stocking material to protect them from dust. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread