or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 241

post #3601 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post


This is part of this hobby. Personalization of your own gear and sound. People's do that every day on their cars. Replace the chrome wheels on their 
cars with bigger and lighter magnesium  one just for the look and a marginal drive feeling change.  That's all good! People should be free to express themselves. When I replaced the cable on my HD650 I didn't expected them to become HD800. I'm experimenting with flavor of material and noticing characteristic changes in the sound and that what I like in this hobby. Experiment. Same thing when I exchange a tube in my amplifier. If you don't get any satisfaction on altering your gears that all good too. But to claim that their is no differences between all variant cables that is wrong.



 


I agree I used to not believe in cables sounding different but when I put a silver interconnect between my Dac and Amp it sounded much different. Mileage may vary depending on your audio chain. Same thing with my LCD-2's when I put on the norse cable things
really brightened up. So as an old non-believer Ive been converted
post #3602 of 37365


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post


This is part of this hobby. Personalization of your own gear and sound. People's do that every day on their cars. Replace the chrome wheels on their 
cars with bigger and lighter magnesium  one just for the look and a marginal drive feeling change.  That's all good! People should be free to express themselves. When I replaced the cable on my HD650 I didn't expected them to become HD800. I'm experimenting with flavor of material and noticing characteristic changes in the sound and that what I like in this hobby. Experiment. Same thing when I exchange a tube in my amplifier. If you don't get any satisfaction on altering your gears that all good too. But to claim that their is no differences between all variant cables that is wrong.

 

Fashion is very important and there's nothing wrong with dressing up your car or your headphones.

 

Tubes show a measurable difference between them.  I've never seen anything like that for wire.

 

If you are claiming that you can hear as big a difference from changing cables on your 650s as you can from changing tubes in your amp, it should be measurable, just like it is with tubes.


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post

I agree I used to not believe in cables sounding different but when I put a silver interconnect between my Dac and Amp it sounded much different. Mileage may vary depending on your audio chain. Same thing with my LCD-2's when I put on the norse cable things
really brightened up. So as an old non-believer Ive been converted


Just curious, how did it sound different?

 

post #3603 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post


 

 

Fashion is very important and there's nothing wrong with dressing up your car or your headphones.

 

Tubes show a measurable difference between them.  I've never seen anything like that for wire.

 

If you are claiming that you can hear as big a difference from changing cables on your 650s as you can from changing tubes in your amp, it should be measurable, just like it is with tubes.


 

 


Just curious, how did it sound different?

 


Well when I put the silver interconnect between my DAC and amp it got brighter the bass has more of a punch. I have retried the experiment about 10 times I leave both my copper and silver interconnects right behind my DAC and Amp on my audio stand
post #3604 of 37365


Thank god your here,  its been bloody mayhem!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post



I agree I used to not believe in cables sounding different but when I put a silver interconnect between my Dac and Amp it sounded much different. Mileage may vary depending on your audio chain. Same thing with my LCD-2's when I put on the norse cable things
really brightened up. So as an old non-believer Ive been converted



erm....

 

fair bells.  

 

IMO the only way to experiment is with your own rig. You know what your rig sounds like, so A/B ing with cables should show instant differences if there is any.

 

My old solid core copper £200 jobs have become obsolete. I simply prefer silver in between components, £40 a shot. Whether its better or worse? its my preference. But there is a difference. Otherwise I would keep my posh looking ones there.

 

 

post #3605 of 37365
Scary - Have you ever had a family member or friend attach the cables without your knowledge of which one was in use? If you have a chance, take 20 or so samples and tell us how many times you ID the correct cable. Odds are 50/50 without even putting on your phones but I'd be both curious and grateful to read your results if you have a chance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
post #3606 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post

Well when I put the silver interconnect between my DAC and amp it got brighter the bass has more of a punch. I have retried the experiment about 10 times I leave both my copper and silver interconnects right behind my DAC and Amp on my audio stand


You realize, a brighter treble and a punchier bass are measurable.

 

Unless you are able to show an instance where a wire has been able to add something to the signal that wasn't originally there, I will have to assume that your Cu interconnects are either defective or were intentionally made to depress the treble and muddy the bass.

 

Of course, there is that one other possibility.......................

 

But unfortunately, we'll have to let this go because it is way OT in this thread.  If you'd like, we can continue this in Sound Science where such things are discussed.

 

post #3607 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




You realize, a brighter treble and a punchier bass are measurable.

 

Unless you are able to show an instance where a wire has been able to add something to the signal that wasn't originally there, I will have to assume that your Cu interconnects are either defective or were intentionally made to depress the treble and muddy the bass.

 

Of course, there is that one other possibility.......................

 

But unfortunately, we'll have to let this go because it is way OT in this thread.  If you'd like, we can continue this in Sound Science where such things are discussed.

 



Unfortunately I don't have an expensive analyzer to measure and prove what I hear...

post #3608 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post

Unfortunately I don't have an expensive analyzer to measure and prove what I hear...


Let me introduce you to the Audio DiffMaker......  http://www.libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm            

 

Be sure to check out the marching band demo.

 

post #3609 of 37365

And I was just about to comment again on my A/B testing part 2 :D

post #3610 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




Let me introduce you to the Audio DiffMaker......  http://www.libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm            

 

Be sure to check out the marching band demo.

 


Cool. thanks USG

 

post #3611 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

And I was just about to comment again on my A/B testing part 2 :D


 

Please do comment.  I've been waiting to hear part 2.

post #3612 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




 

Please do comment.  I've been waiting to hear part 2.



x2

 

post #3613 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




 

Please do comment.  I've been waiting to hear part 2.



Well it pretty much confirms my findings from session 1: More clarity/detail overall (which I like a lot), less present bass (very obvious, no minimal difference) and better(sharper?) highs (not my thing)

I have to say that I prefer the aftermarket cable for classical music and mainly vocals but for rock, 60-70-80s, punk and all other genres I listen to, I prefer the imo darker, less detailed standard cable.

I don't intend to go investing or experimenting with other cables, I just had this cable made for testing but boy does it look good.

 

post #3614 of 37365

A few weeks ago I realized that after 6 years of headphone listening and after several high-end headphones (incl. the omegas) HD650 are THE headphones for me. Exceptional musicality, these are headphones for music lovers no matter what style you prefer. The best all-rounder maybe.

post #3615 of 37365
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post

A few weeks ago I realized that after 6 years of headphone listening and after several high-end headphones (incl. the omegas) HD650 are THE headphones for me. Exceptional musicality, these are headphones for music lovers no matter what style you prefer. The best all-rounder maybe.


Nice to see someone post about the HD650s themselves, rather than cables.  I cannot afford (or even have experimental access to, like at a Head-Fi meet) to audition more expensive headphones, like Audeze LCD-2s, the HD800s or certainly any of the Stax line.  So I contented myself in advance of my HD650 purchase last December that it was going to be the "destination" headphone for me.  So it is nice to see that someone arrived at that conclusion after being able to dip their toes in the high-end audio waters that I cannot.

 

As for the latest cable dust-up, the only electrical properties a cable (any cable) has are resistance, inductance and capacitance.  If you hear differences between cables, assuming it is not a placebo, then they must have different electrical properties in or more of these domains, or else there would be no way to distinguish between them at all.

 

When someone can explain cables in terms drawn from scientific reference:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit 

 

... I will pay more attention than if they simply say a cable sounds "better" or even "different."  Why does it sound different?  Is it entirely about the conductor (how many strands of silver, copper, or oxygen-free cryo-copper and how they are twisted and braided), or could it have to do with the dialectric (insulation) or possibly shielding that cuts down on EMI or RFI?  I'd like to know.


Edited by attenuated 3db - 7/9/11 at 1:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread