or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 239

post #3571 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post

I use a Matrix Mini-i (from eBay) and a LD MKVII+ balanced amp and am very happy with the sound. The DAC chips used in the Mini-i are the same (AD1955) as those in the $1000 Cambridge 840C player. The Matrix's amp section actually drives the 650s decently if you want to buy a separate amp later.

 

 

+1 on the Matrix Mini-i with the HD650's.  I purchased it knowing that the DAC section was pretty decent and the HP amp would do for now.  Right now I'm using the built in amp until I can spring for the Lyr.  

Just for giggles, I hooked it up to my main system where I have a PS Audio DL III DAC and the PS Audio smokes it. My HiFi system is very revealing.. Martin Logan speakers driven by the new Rotel stuff.  I'll probably also get the Bitfrost DAC with the Lyr and move the Matrix to the bedroom.

Listening to Long Road out of Eden by the Eagles through the Matrix/HD650's as I type this and it's pretty decent but I know that the HD650's are capable of so much more.

In your budget range, I would look at the Matrix or the Schitt Bitfrost (not out yet but looks like it has potential based on my research on Schitt).
 

BTW.. on the cable thing.. I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for my HD650's and it did take away the graininess and some of the harsh edge off compared to the stock cable.  Should have been my last upgrade but oh well, Lyr next.  Absolutely agree that it should be the last upgrade after source, DAC, and amp. Nuff said about cables :)


Edited by MickeyVee - 7/4/11 at 9:50pm
post #3572 of 36885

So... I got my hd650!

 

Out of the box they sound like the koss portapros on steroids. After an hour burn in the bass (including hump) was down to normal and she started to sing. Im now listening to them after 12 hours burn in and I love them. The only veil I hear is in the recordings, out of the Audio-gd fun the sound is clear and beautiful :)

 

I ordered a ADA4627-1 module, hopefully an improvement over the earth!

post #3573 of 36885

Glad to hear you're enjoying them Muad!

post #3574 of 36885

I finally placed my order from JR who's discount price is $365 which is a steal compared to all the other retailers I saw. I can't wait to give these a listen!

post #3575 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad View Post

So... I got my hd650!

 

 the sound is clear and beautiful :)

 



congrats!

 

(sorry for butchering your post..) but what a perfect description!

 

post #3576 of 36885

Quote:

Originally Posted by muad View Post

I ordered a ADA4627-1 module, hopefully an improvement over the earth!

 

It'll be more involving.  Glad you're enjoying 'em.

post #3577 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post

I finally placed my order from JR who's discount price is $365 which is a steal compared to all the other retailers I saw. I can't wait to give these a listen!



How did you get it for $365?

post #3578 of 36885

You have to call and order by phone.

post #3579 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

You have to call and order by phone.



x2. They really respond to calls and are willing to bargain usually.

post #3580 of 36885

It was a little more complicated for me because I had all the money in my paypal. They only offer the discount up front if you pay over the phone with a credit card, but I bargained with the manager and he let me pay the full price ($500) through paypal and then he reimbursed me the difference from the discount.

 

 

EDIT:

 

So I'm stuck at work until 5 and I got the notification this morning at 9 that my hd650s were delivared. This is going to be one painfully slow day eek.gif


Edited by colmustard - 7/7/11 at 8:27am
post #3581 of 36885

Well I've had about 2 hours with my new hd650s and they are simply fantastic!

 

Something I'm very surprised by though is that I actually prefer the sound of the stock cable to the black silver headphile cable I purchased with it. The mids are much more pronounced on the stock cable while the headphile sounds a bit more mellow with more extended highs.

post #3582 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post

 

Something I'm very surprised by though is that I actually prefer the sound of the stock cable to the black silver headphile cable I purchased with it.


basshead.gif

 

 

post #3583 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post

Well I've had about 2 hours with my new hd650s and they are simply fantastic!

 

Something I'm very surprised by though is that I actually prefer the sound of the stock cable to the black silver headphile cable I purchased with it. The mids are much more pronounced on the stock cable while the headphile sounds a bit more mellow with more extended highs.


Sennheiser knows what they are doing with cables and they know exactly how they want the 650s to sound.....  

 

Regarding the after market cable you bought, obviously something is wrong with it or it would sound like the stock Senn cable.

 

Think about it!

post #3584 of 36885

Another reason why I love the 650s. I can just tuck the cords coming from the phones under my collar. No chafing! Having the cable hang from only one phone is annoying. Causes physical imbalance. I'm lovin the old-school design!

 

If I believed in after market recabling, it would be for one reason.....to have the cords come down from both sides. Maybe I'll have someone do this for me with the K702s, which I'm expecting tomorrow.


Edited by KB24 - 7/7/11 at 5:18pm
post #3585 of 36885


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




Sennheiser knows what they are doing with cables and they know exactly how they want the 650s to sound.....  

 


True. A reason why im not a fan of recabling. tongue.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread