or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 36848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmht View Post
I never listen to the HD650s out of the headphone jack <_<
Oh c'mon, you gotta plug them in to something, unless you have the Nikola Tesla Special Edition version...
post #332 of 36848
I'll admit I did it when I first got them, but never again!

I rather use my E530s when an amp is unavailable.
post #333 of 36848
Lol, no, I meant that as a joke...you HAVE to plug them into a headphone jack, even if you use an amp
post #334 of 36848
Ahh my bad

But they do sound pretty muffled without an amp of sorts
post #335 of 36848
I've auditioned the HD650 on a few occasions, single ended, balanced both old and new versions. It's an amazing piece of equipment indeed.

Best setup I've ever heard in my life so far:
Meridian 808 > Benchmark DAC > RSA B-52 > Balanced NEW HD650 w/ Cardas
post #336 of 36848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akabeth View Post
I've auditioned the HD650 on a few occasions, single ended, balanced both old and new versions. It's an amazing piece of equipment indeed.

Best setup I've ever heard in my life so far:
Meridian 808 > Benchmark DAC > RSA B-52 > Balanced NEW HD650 w/ Cardas
New HD650? There's more than one version? Or are you saying it didn't have many hours on it.
post #337 of 36848
yeah newer 650s have a different driver with metallic looking fabric, a lot of people have said there is a noticeable improvement but i haven't tried the older variation..
post #338 of 36848
"new" as in the different driver material. The old ones had black diaphragms, the new ones are white. Apparently the new ones are less veiled. I wouldn't know, as I haven't heard the old version, but there's a thread around here somewhere about the differences...
post #339 of 36848

HD 650s --New Version

I just finished reading this entire thread since just got me new HD650s a couple of days ago.
Very helpful thread!
The pair of 650s I got were $329 with free shipping from J&R. I have dealt with them alot and they are fast and dependable.
The pair I got are definitely the "new" version and I agree completely with others on this thread who have noted the distinct improvement.

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a DarkVoice 332. I have tentatively settled on it over the DarkVoice 336SE, which although newer and about $100cheaper, does not look to be as good a match for the 650s from what I have gathered on this and other theads.

I will be posting more detailed impressions as the cans burn in.

My other phones are Stax Lambda Pros and Shure SE530s.
post #340 of 36848
i got my hd650 from soundearphone.com with the july 4th sale promotion. not bad of a deal i think. right now i'm using them with darkvoice 337 and it sounds great. the bass... i love the bass. i definitely like this more than hd600.
post #341 of 36848

You Made The Right Decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoxfan View Post
I just finished reading this entire thread since just got me new HD650s a couple of days ago.
Very helpful thread!
The pair of 650s I got were $329 with free shipping from J&R. I have dealt with them alot and they are fast and dependable.
The pair I got are definitely the "new" version and I agree completely with others on this thread who have noted the distinct improvement.

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a DarkVoice 332. I have tentatively settled on it over the DarkVoice 336SE, which although newer and about $100cheaper, does not look to be as good a match for the 650s from what I have gathered on this and other theads.

I will be posting more detailed impressions as the cans burn in.

My other phones are Stax Lambda Pros and Shure SE530s.
You made the right decision re: the DV332 - you will be AMAZED!

I will receive my "new" version HD650s today from B&H (same deal) to see how much they've improved from the "old" version driven by my DV332.

We'll see... few phones (if any) sound as good with the DV332 as the "new" version of the HD580/600s.

If the HD650s have improved enough to rival the "new" version of the HD580/600s, I'll keep them... if not...
post #342 of 36848
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post
i got my hd650 from soundearphone.com with the july 4th sale promotion. not bad of a deal i think. right now i'm using them with darkvoice 337 and it sounds great. the bass... i love the bass. i definitely like this more than hd600.
I got mine a little less than a week ago and have been in sonic heaven ever since. And you are right. It is all about the bass!!!. Best bass I have heard so far on phones. Bass is extremely important to me and it has always been my main gripe about phones in general.
My all time favorite phones are my Stax Lambdas and they still retain a slight edge over the HD650s because of their incredible detail and amazing highs. But for pure clear well defined bass, give me the HD650s. I actually think for all around listening I will end up with the 650s at the top of my list. A real comparison is not possible until my Darkvoice arrives.
I could not quite afford the 337, but I have the 332 coming my way. From everything I have heard both the 337 and the 332 are just perfect for the HD650s so I am eager to pair them up.
post #343 of 36848

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoxfan View Post
I got mine a little less than a week ago and have been in sonic heaven ever since. And you are right. It is all about the bass!!!. Best bass I have heard so far on phones. Bass is extremely important to me and it has always been my main gripe about phones in general.
My all time favorite phones are my Stax Lambdas and they still retain a slight edge over the HD650s because of their incredible detail and amazing highs. But for pure clear well defined bass, give me the HD650s. I actually think for all around listening I will end up with the 650s at the top of my list. A real comparison is not possible until my Darkvoice arrives.
I could not quite afford the 337, but I have the 332 coming my way. From everything I have heard both the 337 and the 332 are just perfect for the HD650s so I am eager to pair them up.
So... the Stax have enough bass for you?

What amp are you using with your Stax?

I've been thinking of trying them... but... have been scared off by the reports of limited, or distorted bass, and clinical highs.

I'm amazed that that you think the HD650s are comparable to the Stax - they have such different sound.
post #344 of 36848
Yeah, it's like apples and oranges, lol...
post #345 of 36848
Lots of bassheads on this thread.

No wonder why I loved them too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread