or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 198

post #2956 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoners View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusen View Post

I finally took the plunge, and am awaiting my HD650, E7, and E9 in the mail. I really hope they can live up to all the praise they've been getting.




You will probably not give a "WOW" response because the 650 has nothing that really stands out, but that's exactly it's strong point.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

I agree with canoners. The beauty of the HD650 isn't in your reaction the minute you put them on. It kind of builds as you listen for an hour and don't want to stop. Or when you listen to stuff you didn't particularly like all that much with your old headphone but now it sounds Wonderful. That kind of thing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoners View Post

Yea, I was a bit disappointed with them at first too lol. Then I started to realize that their strong point is nothing but the ability to wear them without getting tired of the sound and also the details they have.

 

 

You'll find overtime with experience that cans that fail to impress initially are actually the good ones. The ones that really grab your attention on first listen tend to be coloured and fatiguing in the long-run.

 

post #2957 of 36852

How does the sound change on these cans when you run them from an amp that actually can handle them, I have a bottlehead crack incoming but right now I'm listening just straight trough the headphone jack on my mbp and I think it sounds really good, though sometimes I feel that the bass is a bit lacking but it still pretty good. 

 

Will the difference with the amp be really big? Because then I'm in for a treat :) 

post #2958 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How does the sound change on these cans when you run them from an amp that actually can handle them, I have a bottlehead crack incoming but right now I'm listening just straight trough the headphone jack on my mbp and I think it sounds really good, though sometimes I feel that the bass is a bit lacking but it still pretty good. 

 

Will the difference with the amp be really big? Because then I'm in for a treat :) 



Just so you won't be disappointed, let me set your expectations straight. If you've never tried an amp before, you may think from reading the forums that the change will be drastic, but it really doesn't work like that. At first you may not even notice a real difference, but through extended listening you'll realize the improvements. The improvements are amp-dependent, but you can often expect tighter/deeper bass, faster transients (speed) and a bigger soundstage. In the case of a tubey sounding tube amp, the transients may even get slower, but the overall sound becomes more liquid/pleasing/involving. Just don't expect your headphones to transform completely (like I did when I first started) because you'll only set yourself up for disappointment.


Edited by Shahrose - 4/18/11 at 1:36pm
post #2959 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post
Just so you won't be disappointed, let me set your expectations straight. If you've never tried an amp before, you may think from reading the forums that the change will be drastic, but it really doesn't work like that. At first you may not even notice a real difference, but through extended listening you'll realize the improvements. The improvements are amp-dependent, but you can often expect tighter/deeper bass, faster transients (speed) and a bigger soundstage. In the case of a tubey sounding tube amp, the transients may even get slower, but the overall sound becomes more liquid/pleasing/involving. Just don't expect your headphones to transform completely (like I did when I first started) because you'll only set yourself up for disappointment.


+1

 

Bravo, sir - your post goes against the general tide on Head-Fi, and against a lot of the marketing spiel from various amp manufacturers, but it largely mirrors my experience. The 'wow' moments for me have only come after I've stopped listening intently for 'something special', sat back and just let the music wash over me.

post #2960 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post


+1

 

Bravo, sir - your post goes against the general tide on Head-Fi, and against a lot of the marketing spiel from various amp manufacturers, 



Respectfully, I would completely dispute that point. There can be more than a significant SQ improvement from a *quality* amplifier/source compared to the direct 3.5mm audio out of a MBP to a Senn 6x0. I think the point is the learning curve that is required to discern the subtleties involved, is both equipment based and dependent on the individual as well.


Edited by pigmode - 4/18/11 at 3:27pm
post #2961 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How does the sound change on these cans when you run them from an amp that actually can handle them, I have a bottlehead crack incoming but right now I'm listening just straight trough the headphone jack on my mbp and I think it sounds really good, though sometimes I feel that the bass is a bit lacking but it still pretty good. 

 

Will the difference with the amp be really big? Because then I'm in for a treat :) 


As someone who recently upgraded my amp, the improvements I noted were subtle but noticeable. The first thing I noticed was that the sound got bigger, like the instruments had grown slightly in size. I also perceived more depth to the soundfield, though to hear it you have to play the right recordings (it's most obvious with a lot of my jazz SACDs for some reason). There is more clarity. Finally, there are faster transients. The phones just sound faster, not as sluggish -- more juiced or "pumped-up." The result is that I find them more fatiguing at higher volumes. But the plus side is that I can listen to them at very low volumes and still feel and hear a great deal of impact. Lots of detail and force even at low volumes. However, aside from getting deeper, the soundstage on the 650 is still a little narrow.
 

 

post #2962 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post





All those years of avoidable suffering ;)


That's exactly what I thought when I fixed the problem! For some reason, the left earcup is still ever slightly more "noticeable" than the right earcup in the amount of pressure it exerts (or maybe my left ear is slightly bigger?), but the 650 is very comfortable, especially compared to headphones that squash your ears.  
 

 

post #2963 of 36852

Anyone like these with the E9? I'm trying to decide if I prefer them with my E9 or Asgard. On the E9 they almost feel quite neutral, which is strange. My Asgard makes them a whole heck of a lot less neutral. It seems to add more bass and give more weight to some instruments and I'm not sure if I like that. The sound sometimes feels more clear on the E9 and the soundstage is also larger. On my Asgard the soundstage feels a bit smaller, but for some reason it actually is nice for some songs. This is probably why I was complaining that the HD-650 had a small soundstage. I only had the Asgard at the time.

 

One strange thing is that with my Asgard, it seems to roll off the treble on the K702 (don't use that combination), but with the Asgard it makes the HD-650 a tad brighter than on the E9?!

 

I think my Asgard had better synergy with the HD-600 than the HD-650. That doesn't make much sense since you'd think they should sound equally good on the Asgard, but they don't. With the Asgard the HD-600's soundstage is a lot larger than when it's amping the HD-650. If I connect the HD-650 to the E9 instead (and the HD-600 to the Asgard) the soundstages are about the same or close.

 

Right now I'm split 50/50 between listening to my K702 and HD-650. Not sure which one I like better and it doesn't matter since I'm keeping both. It's a good set of headphones I think. I don't think there will ever be a perfect headphone for me. The HD-598 was probably as close as I'll ever get, but it doesn't have the detail of the HD-650 and it's sound isn't as clear. Hopefully someday Sennheiser will release another headphone with the forward mids and soundstage of the HD-598, but is even better. Maybe something in between the HD-650 and HD-800.

 

 

post #2964 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post





+1

 

Bravo, sir - your post goes against the general tide on Head-Fi, and against a lot of the marketing spiel from various amp manufacturers, but it largely mirrors my experience. The 'wow' moments for me have only come after I've stopped listening intently for 'something special', sat back and just let the music wash over me.



Indeed. Although I had a major "wow" when I changed from s/s to hybrid with the Xcan v3, took me to a new level of audio appreciation. I'd say in respect to the 650's that they will always sound nice out of a good amp. But when you find perfect synergy, they sound "Wowtastic"!      

 

post #2965 of 36852

Okay! Well we'll see when I get the amp, should be really fun to build and try out anyway! 

 

Over to the headphones, I really like them. Recently I've been listening to more and more acoustic records because of them, it just sounds so good. Especially double bass, you can really hear the vibrations coming from the strings! 

 

I read in some other threads that these weren't good for rock, I dont agree at all. I listen to some black/death-metal and with these headphones it is a really pleasant experience. For example, the latest Deathspell Omega release, Paracletus, which has a very metallic almost flat sound becomes very enjoyable through these. On my Grados sr60 I couldn't listen for more than a few songs before the treble cut trough my ears, with the 650's its another story. 

Opeth sounds really good to, I can really understand what you mean when you say that these have a non fatiguing sound, even music that's really intense becomes easier to listen to. 

 

Oh, and by the way, you have to listen to Blind Boys of Alamaba-Spirit of The Century, gosh it sounds nice!

post #2966 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I read in some other threads that these weren't good for rock, I dont agree at all. I listen to some black/death-metal and with these headphones it is a really pleasant experience. For example, the latest Deathspell Omega release, Paracletus, which has a very metallic almost flat sound becomes very enjoyable through these. On my Grados sr60 I couldn't listen for more than a few songs before the treble cut trough my ears, with the 650's its another story. 

 

I think that it isn't a general rule. It really depends on which artist , which album and how bright or dark the record is. Of course it also depends on your  sound preferences

A Few examples in my case:

Queen -> SR225i
The Strokes -> HD650
Led Zeppelin -> SR225i
Motley Crue -> HD650
The Beatles -> HD650 for the first albums / SR225i from Rubber Soul to Let it be
Arcade Fire - > HD650 for Funeral and Neon Bible / SR225i for the suburbs


 


Edited by ljperez84 - 4/19/11 at 7:58am
post #2967 of 36852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Anyone like these with the E9? I'm trying to decide if I prefer them with my E9 or Asgard. On the E9 they almost feel quite neutral, which is strange. My Asgard makes them a whole heck of a lot less neutral. It seems to add more bass and give more weight to some instruments and I'm not sure if I like that. The sound sometimes feels more clear on the E9 and the soundstage is also larger. On my Asgard the soundstage feels a bit smaller, but for some reason it actually is nice for some songs. This is probably why I was complaining that the HD-650 had a small soundstage. I only had the Asgard at the time.

 

One strange thing is that with my Asgard, it seems to roll off the treble on the K702 (don't use that combination), but with the Asgard it makes the HD-650 a tad brighter than on the E9?!

 

I think my Asgard had better synergy with the HD-600 than the HD-650. That doesn't make much sense since you'd think they should sound equally good on the Asgard, but they don't. With the Asgard the HD-600's soundstage is a lot larger than when it's amping the HD-650. If I connect the HD-650 to the E9 instead (and the HD-600 to the Asgard) the soundstages are about the same or close.

 

Right now I'm split 50/50 between listening to my K702 and HD-650. Not sure which one I like better and it doesn't matter since I'm keeping both. It's a good set of headphones I think. I don't think there will ever be a perfect headphone for me. The HD-598 was probably as close as I'll ever get, but it doesn't have the detail of the HD-650 and it's sound isn't as clear. Hopefully someday Sennheiser will release another headphone with the forward mids and soundstage of the HD-598, but is even better. Maybe something in between the HD-650 and HD-800.

 

 

 

The HD600 and HD650 have different sound signatures so it *does* makes sense that they would synergize optimally with different amps.

post #2968 of 36852


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

Thanks for the courteous reply Shahrose.  I'll look for future opportunities to compare cables and will probably get around to making one myself one of these days - having already assembled a mogami/neutrik extension cable I use with a fair degree of regularity.  But the problem with buying or building first, and listening second, unless you're doing it blind, is the post-purchase rationalization phenomena that inevitably comes into play.  For now, I imagine I'm more of an agnostic than a true disbeliever as to the merits of replacement cables. 
 

 

I believe I'm familiar with the simple science.  In fact, I'm in the process of reading through Morgan Jones' definitive tome on Valve Amplifiers right now.  I simply have yet to see a single scientific article/test/or study that agrees with what you're suggesting regarding power cables.  Even assuming, for the sake of argument, that electrons have the potential to flow "better" in an expensive power cable, how is it possible that an end user benefits from this in any way when that pricey cable is being plugged into a dirt cheap socket, and thereby connected to the basic electrical wiring that permeates the rest of your domicile?  Let's look at the other end of the connection as well.  If you have ever done a DIY project or looked at the hook-up wire used throughout the power supply of even the priciest amps, we are talking about some pretty basic wire here (even on the high end) that then typically runs through the tiny leads of a diode bridge to become DC.  Your amp's wiring is not even close to the stuff vendors are charging $30/yard (on the low end) to you-don't-wanna-know/yard (on the high end) for to serve as fancy A/C cables.  If I'm missing some simple aspect of the science here that gives rise to an audible difference when using high end AC cables, please fill me in...  I will happily eat humble pie as the price of an otherwise free education on the subject if I'm wrong /shrug  

 

 

<rant>

 

I am with you, and then some.  The whole "magic power cable" is the biggest sham in the entire audio industry.  OK, there was one guy a while ago selling wooden blocks you "rotated" to "tune" your amp, so maybe "second biggest."

 

A power cable can not make power flow more freely, it will do far less to remove noise in the power line than any decent power supply, and if you do have a line noise issue you should use a full-on isolation transform, which actually will make a difference.  

 

A power cable does nothing, and behind the cable are MILES of cables, transformers, plugs, and goodness knows what else).  The only POSSIBLE thing a power cord can do is be really capacitive or inductive as a form of filter, but that is simply the wrong way to go about noise reduction (see above).

 

Speaker and interconnects change sound because they actually carry the music waveform, and their RLC characteristics, and possibly other less "real" considerations the magic-cable fans like, like copper crystal orientation, can affect the sound.  Power cords?  Save your money and never look back.

 

</rant>

post #2969 of 36852

Eh my bad.  I thought I was on the last page of the thread, but old topic and should move on.  Apologies.  

post #2970 of 36852

I like tangsta have had many headphones but I have to say that these are the best. Unlike others you don't need an expensive top end system to get the most out of them. They sound great on what ever your listening to them on. I would recommend the hd650 to anyone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread