or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 193

post #2881 of 37385

Just got a pair of new to me HD650's

Compared to my Aerial 10T's / Bryston 4B SST / Burson HA 160D the trumpet solo in Miles Davis "So What" 

 

the HD 650's sound a bit harsh and grainy in the treble

 

I am running this off the hi-gain headphone jack

 

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the headphones I got?

post #2882 of 37385

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdesignz2 View Post

Just got a pair of new to me HD650's

Compared to my Aerial 10T's / Bryston 4B SST / Burson HA 160D the trumpet solo in Miles Davis "So What" 

 

the HD 650's sound a bit harsh and grainy in the treble

 

I am running this off the hi-gain headphone jack

 

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the headphones I got?

 

Some people (a small percentage) find the 650s bright and fatiguing.  If it persists, they're just not the right phones for you.  

post #2883 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesignz2 View Post

Just got a pair of new to me HD650's

Compared to my Aerial 10T's / Bryston 4B SST / Burson HA 160D the trumpet solo in Miles Davis "So What" 

 

the HD 650's sound a bit harsh and grainy in the treble

 

I am running this off the hi-gain headphone jack

 

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the headphones I got?



Hi there. Let them burn-in for 2-3 days 24/7 (keep pink-noise or music playing through them). Secondly, adjust the clamp of the headphones by extending the earcups all the way and bending *only the metal strips*. Both of these things will change the sound, and IME, for the better.

 

I would also invest in a good aftermarket cable (UPOCC copper ones can be had for not too much) since you already have a good front-end.


Edited by Shahrose - 4/11/11 at 7:06pm
post #2884 of 37385

I have a question about amps for the HD 650: does the Nuforce Icon HDP/HD or the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 have better synergy with these headphones? I've never tried out either so I can't say for myself. But they both seem to be popular on this website. I just want to know if the HDP is superior because of its sound quality or if it's mostly the portability and value for money.

 

post #2885 of 37385

you just recieved the HD650. If it is a second hand one I can understand that you get the full sound out of the headphone.

As a new HD650. Connect the HD650 to your tuner,the sound on medium volume, stick all in a drawer and play it for four weeks uninterrupted. Then you have the final sound of the HD650

post #2886 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post





...Secondly, adjust the clamp of the headphones by extending the earcups all the way and bending *only the metal strips*. Both of these things will change the sound, and IME, for the better. ...

 

 Which way are you bending them?  In to be tighter or out? 

post #2887 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

I have a question about amps for the HD 650: does the Nuforce Icon HDP/HD or the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 have better synergy with these headphones? I've never tried out either so I can't say for myself. But they both seem to be popular on this website. I just want to know if the HDP is superior because of its sound quality or if it's mostly the portability and value for money.

 



I think the HD650 and HDP are a good match, but haven't heard the Maverick to compare.  The sound with the 650 is easily better than from the PC hp jack.   I didn't choose the HDP because of it's portability, NuForce has other cheaper models that are portables.  The HD and HDP still have to be plugged into AC, but they don't take up much desktop space.

 

post #2888 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post



 Which way are you bending them?  In to be tighter or out? 



In my case (and in every case I've seen atleast), it was "out" to make it looser.

post #2889 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post





In my case (and in every case I've seen atleast), it was "out" to make it looser.


One thing I noticed about the 650, compared to my old 600 and 580, is they are tighter fitting.  I don't recall either of the others being that snug even when new.  Even if the 650 would eventually loosen up, it's a good tip to speed the process along.

post #2890 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post




One thing I noticed about the 650, compared to my old 600 and 580, is they are tighter fitting.  I don't recall either of the others being that snug even when new.  Even if the 650 would eventually loosen up, it's a good tip to speed the process along.


Hmm interesting and surprising...I found my HD600s to have a tighter clamp, even after bending the metal strips (the top plastic arch was actually narrower than the HD650s). I had both at the same time.

 

post #2891 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

How's that Dynahi compare to your GS-1?  Is it balanced?

 

 


Sorry, I forgot about your post. The Dynahi is a step up from the GS-1 (which is also upgraded) both in SQ and power. My Dynahi is not balanced (that would be a Dynamite). If you'd like to know more, I'd be happy to PM the details...this isn't the thread for it.

 

To keep my post atleast somewhat on-topic, I will say that the Dynahi is by far the best amp I've heard with the HD650s. The GS-1 with DACT would be a close second. (Both amps are highly transparent and thus source-dependent).

 


Edited by Shahrose - 4/12/11 at 12:14pm
post #2892 of 37385

I got my HD-650 in today..2nd one since my first was defective. You know what I hate? Having to deal with the hassle of finding a good amp that has good synergy with all my headphones. Why can't amps just work well with EVERY headphone? normal_smile%20.gif

 

I can confirm that the Asgard does in fact add in some bass. First thing I noticed is that it seems to give it a lot more mid-bass, not a huge amount, but enough to annoy me. I think it's safe to say that for me it added too much and seem to mess with the sound on specific tracks. My HD-650 seems more clear on the E9.  confused_face%281%29.gif Sometimes I felt the Asgard made some songs feel congested. No clue why.

 

When I first plugged in the new pair with my new amp I was really shocked at how different it sounded. It didn't impress me with some things like before, but it's probably due to how it's not burned in. Right now it's a bit shouty and somewhat harsh, so it definitely needs burn-in. I think the E9 is a brighter sounding amp too. I find the HD-650 brighter than the HD-600 (have both and both are the new versions) by far. I've said it before, but on both my amps, the HD-600 tames some treble heavy music. My HD-650 seems to keep it just how it is. I consider the HD-600 to be far more laid back.

 

Awhile back I complained that the soundstage was a bit smaller on the HD-650 compared to the HD-600. I got the HD-600 and the soundstage was so much more airy and far larger. The HD-650 soundstage on the Asgard seems tiny. Perhaps that gave me the impression of some forward sounding mids or altered the sound. Vocals sounded far closer to my ears on the HD-650 compared to the HD-600. On the Asgard the soundstage felt really closed in with the HD-650. I guess the Asgard just prefers the HD-600!

 

Right now the HD-650 feels far, far more neutral than before. Very strange. I do love the HD-600 on the Asgard, but not really the HD-650 (or K702!). I imagine I'll be getting rid of the HD-600. I preferred the HD-600 due to how neutral it is, but now HD-650 is definitely more neutral (compared to my first HD-650 with my Asgard) with my new amp.

 

Today I watched a few movies with the HD-650 and an Onkyo amp. It sound really bad, but I imagine the Onkyo screws up the sound or can't drive it well. It sounded quite muffled, especially male vocals. Probably due to not having them burned in or that I still had the foam installed. I prefer the sound without the foam and it mids seem to clear up a bit to me.

 

I also love my new K702. I actually bought a E9 just for that (K702 is terrible on the Asgard). I'm not even going to bother comparing them since they sound so different. I think the HD-650 and K702 will be a good pair. I bet you'll find this is hard to believe, but I prefer the K702 for movies over the HD-600 and HD-650! I guess I don't watch many action movies though where I need some extra bass.

 

 

 

 


Edited by tdockweiler - 4/12/11 at 4:46pm
post #2893 of 37385

Hi guys in your opinion what is a better complementary cans to the DT880s, the HD600s or 650s? I've recently bought a used pair of HD650s but the drivers are new, so it is pretty much unburnt. Hence I'm not sure if I hearing the HD650s at their best. However I have to sell off one pair soon to recoup my spending, probably won't have enough time to make a comprehensive comparison between the two headphones. So I justed wanted to ask which would be a better pair to keep, together with the dt880s. thanks in advance!

post #2894 of 37385
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohao View Post

Hi guys in your opinion what is a better complementary cans to the DT880s, the HD600s or 650s? I've recently bought a used pair of HD650s but the drivers are new, so it is pretty much unburnt. Hence I'm not sure if I hearing the HD650s at their best. However I have to sell off one pair soon to recoup my spending, probably won't have enough time to make a comprehensive comparison between the two headphones. So I justed wanted to ask which would be a better pair to keep, together with the dt880s. thanks in advance!



I'd say the HD650. The 600s are closer to the DT880s than the 650s are, though both Senn cans are a significant departure from the Beyer sound sig.

post #2895 of 37385

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

I'd say the HD650. The 600s are closer to the DT880s than the 650s are, though both Senn cans are a significant departure from the Beyer sound sig.


+1

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread