or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 189

post #2821 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtarget666 View Post

I've just received my LCD-2's (single ended) and did a brief comparison with HD650's (balanced) and it is quite amazing to find HD650's keeping up with the LCD-2's which are in a different league altogether. Sure, the LCD's have better top end, speed and superb bass response but each time I wear them, they some how remind my of my HD650's. Don't know if its the mids, the tonality or the balance but it feels like LCD-2 is the bigger brother of HD650's. Although there is one area where HD650's completely demolish the LCD-2 and that is sound stage. LCD-2 has a very closed in presentation compared to HD650's. Its a testament to how good HD650's really are.

 

Thought I would sell my HD650's after I got the LCD-2 but now I not so sure.


I really don't find the LCD-2s and HD650s (used to own) similar...maybe both are NOT bright headphones...but that's where the similarities ended for me. I was not a big fan of the HD650s. YMMV.
post #2822 of 36851



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post





Hi and welcome, I recently upraged my 650's with a handmade cable from a retailer on Ebay called "Audiominor" and was very pleased with it. There is a serious amount of copper in this cable and you can notice the difference immediately. It all depends on what you want more of with 650's as the stock cable is actually pretty good to begin with. If your amp is bright sounding then I really wouldn't bother upgrading.  I have the older "warmer" 650's and so I wanted to lighten the sound a little. I paid £80 in uk for them and that is very cheap compared to other 650 replacement cables and he posts worldwide.

   

 


Has anyone bought one of these cables:

 

 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-HD650-600-580-540-HD25-/390290899896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf2683b8
 

Seems very cheap for a 2 metre silver cable. Was just wondering.

post #2823 of 36851

I don't want to start a firestorm of Pro & Con arguments, but I sold mine. I agree that they have some magic on my favorite (classical) music, and in some ways I am sorry to see them go. Coming from a background in high-end audio, where neutrality is ostensibly the goal, I found the HD 650 simply too colored. The top two or three octaves, especially, seemed missing-in-action. Some posters advised that I give myself time to adjust or acclimate to the 650 sound. It seems to me that, if a product is reasonably neutral, that kind of accommodation shouldn't be necessary. I'm not criticizing anyone else's preferences, just stating mine. For me, the HP search continues. wink.gif

post #2824 of 36851

 

Same here. I did like the HD-650 a lot, but the bass kind of ruined it for me. I also wanted a larger soundstage and a more neutral sound. I ended up going with the HD-600, which sadly seems like a step down from the HD-650 in many ways, but at least it's more neutral. The HD-650 is definitely a lot more fun to listen to. If I ever find a deal on them I may buy another pair again. I think the HD-650 is a better headphone than the HD-600, but I just prefer the HD-600.

 

I guess if you found the highs too rolled off, the HD-600 would be even worse for you. I've found the highs far more extended on the HD-650 and they didn't seem to tame my brightly recorded music as much as the HD-600. Sometimes it's the opposite for many, but I've had two pairs of each and always found the HD-650 to have more treble or what sounded like it at least.

 

Maybe the DT-880 would be a better match. I find it to be quite neutral overall. I am one of the rare people who found the DT-880 less fatiguing than the HD-650! How does that work?!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyfranz View Post

I don't want to start a firestorm of Pro & Con arguments, but I sold mine. I agree that they have some magic on my favorite (classical) music, and in some ways I am sorry to see them go. Coming from a background in high-end audio, where neutrality is ostensibly the goal, I found the HD 650 simply too colored. The top two or three octaves, especially, seemed missing-in-action. Some posters advised that I give myself time to adjust or acclimate to the 650 sound. It seems to me that, if a product is reasonably neutral, that kind of accommodation shouldn't be necessary. I'm not criticizing anyone else's preferences, just stating mine. For me, the HP search continues. wink.gif



 

post #2825 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



 


Has anyone bought one of these cables:

 

 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-HD650-600-580-540-HD25-/390290899896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf2683b8
 

Seems very cheap for a 2 metre silver cable. Was just wondering.



I remember checking this one out on Ebay uk and thinking it does look a bit too good to be true. However, I've just looked at the feedback from people and they seem to be happy enough with other cables bought from them (a lot of Ultimate ear and AKG cables being sold) and no mention of extra duty charges (they're based in Hong Kong). I might give it a shot at some point, It's only £39 to uk and free delivery, can't really go wrong! 

post #2826 of 36851



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyfranz View Post

I don't want to start a firestorm of Pro & Con arguments, but I sold mine. I agree that they have some magic on my favorite (classical) music, and in some ways I am sorry to see them go. Coming from a background in high-end audio, where neutrality is ostensibly the goal, I found the HD 650 simply too colored. The top two or three octaves, especially, seemed missing-in-action. Some posters advised that I give myself time to adjust or acclimate to the 650 sound. It seems to me that, if a product is reasonably neutral, that kind of accommodation shouldn't be necessary. I'm not criticizing anyone else's preferences, just stating mine. For me, the HP search continues. wink.gif



Strangely, neutrality has little to do with acclimatising. If you're used to bright phones and you come to a "flat" phone, you'll hear it as dull--that's just a psycho-acoustic fact, as axiomatic as when you emerge from a dark room into sunlight you're blinded for a few minutes. It's true the 650 veers on the slightly dull side, but only slightly, and steps can be taken to alleviate the "problem". Too late for you now, but bear in mind that if nothing else suits, you wouldn't be the first to return to the 650 for a second bite of the cherry and find it tastier than before. As you seem to suggest, the 650 does have some quite magical qualities that justify all the effort some people go to to get it sounding exactly right.  

post #2827 of 36851

"I was not a big fan of the HD650s."

 

"I found the HD 650 simply too colored."

 

"Same here. I did like the HD-650 a lot, but the bass kind of ruined it for me."

 

lol. Just as well this is the HD650 Appreciation Thread.  biggrin.gif

post #2828 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

"I was not a big fan of the HD650s."

 

"I found the HD 650 simply too colored."

 

"Same here. I did like the HD-650 a lot, but the bass kind of ruined it for me."

 

lol. Just as well this is the HD650 Appreciation Thread.  biggrin.gif



Ha ha I was just thinking that myself!

 

post #2829 of 36851



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Same here. I did like the HD-650 a lot, but the bass kind of ruined it for me. I also wanted a larger soundstage and a more neutral sound. I ended up going with the HD-600, which sadly seems like a step down from the HD-650 in many ways, but at least it's more neutral. The HD-650 is definitely a lot more fun to listen to. If I ever find a deal on them I may buy another pair again. I think the HD-650 is a better headphone than the HD-600, but I just prefer the HD-600.

 

I guess if you found the highs too rolled off, the HD-600 would be even worse for you. I've found the highs far more extended on the HD-650 and they didn't seem to tame my brightly recorded music as much as the HD-600. Sometimes it's the opposite for many, but I've had two pairs of each and always found the HD-650 to have more treble or what sounded like it at least.

 

Maybe the DT-880 would be a better match. I find it to be quite neutral overall. I am one of the rare people who found the DT-880 less fatiguing than the HD-650! How does that work?!
 



 



I really think you need to give the 650's more time, they have a huge soundstage with the right source and are the most "naturally" neutral sounding headphone I've heard. They are used as monitor headphones worldwide for Classical, and of all music types Classical music requires natural acoustics for monitering. 

 

post #2830 of 36851

Every "issue" with the HD650s I may have (guitars not standing out enough) can be alleviated with a little EQ. A little boost at 4K (with the iTunes equalizer) and 16k (VERY slight, though) make them sound simply HEAVENLY with rock! Don't believe all the paranoia about EQ! It works GREAT if you know what you're doing and don't boost to the point of distortion!

post #2831 of 36851

I probably made the HD-650 out to be the worst headphone ever in my previous posts normal_smile%20.gif

I think I've now come to the conclusion there is no perfect headphone and I'll always have to deal with something in a headphone I don't like. My dislike of some things about the HD-650 is severe nit-picking.

The HD-650 is actually one of the best headphones I've ever heard. It could be that the Asgard isn't a perfect match for mine since the soundstage seemed too small. The HD-600's soundstage was much larger in comparison.

I'm seriously considering getting another pair. The only reason I returned mine a few days ago was because of a defect.

 

When I listen to the HD-600 I basically miss the HD-650 even more! I'm kind of kicking myself for downgrading to the HD-600. I like how it's more neutral and better for SOME music, but it's just not the same.

Despite paying nearly the same price for both, I feel as if I'm losing out on a lot of detail with the HD-600 and the sound isn't as clear to my ears. I also prefer the treble on the HD-650, but not the bass.

 


 

lol. Just as well this is the HD650 Appreciation Thread.  biggrin.gif



 

post #2832 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I probably made the HD-650 out to be the worst headphone ever in my previous posts normal_smile%20.gif

I think I've now come to the conclusion there is no perfect headphone and I'll always have to deal with something in a headphone I don't like. My dislike of some things about the HD-650 is severe nit-picking.

The HD-650 is actually one of the best headphones I've ever heard. It could be that the Asgard isn't a perfect match for mine since the soundstage seemed too small. The HD-600's soundstage was much larger in comparison.

I'm seriously considering getting another pair. The only reason I returned mine a few days ago was because of a defect.

 

When I listen to the HD-600 I basically miss the HD-650 even more! I'm kind of kicking myself for downgrading to the HD-600. I like how it's more neutral and better for SOME music, but it's just not the same.

Despite paying nearly the same price for both, I feel as if I'm losing out on a lot of detail with the HD-600 and the sound isn't as clear to my ears. I also prefer the treble on the HD-650, but not the bass.

 



 


Wow, it must suck to be so indecisive.

 

post #2833 of 36851

Yes, and you aren't? And you're on head-fi? confused_face_2.gif

I would have kept the HD-650, but it had a defect. I figured the HD-600 would be only a slight step down, but it really is more than that.

I still like it though.

 

This year it's been....K601 > K702 > ATH-AD2000 >  HD-598 > HD-650 | DT-880 > HD-600

 

It'd be nice if I could just pick one already! I imagine the HD-600/HD-650 and my DT-880 is a good pair.

 

Ugh, to think that the only reason I got rid of the K702 was because of it's inaccurate soundstage (to my ears).

Who the heck gets rid of a headphone because of ONE thing they don't like about it?! Guess that's me.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post




Wow, it must suck to be so indecisive.

 



 

post #2834 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Yes, and you aren't? And you're on head-fi? confused_face_2.gif

I would have kept the HD-650, but it had a defect. I figured the HD-600 would be only a slight step down, but it really is more than that.

I still like it though.

 

This year it's been....K601 > K702 > ATH-AD2000 >  HD-598 > HD-650 | DT-880 > HD-600

 

It'd be nice if I could just pick one already! I imagine the HD-600/HD-650 and my DT-880 is a good pair.

 

Ugh, to think that the only reason I got rid of the K702 was because of it's inaccurate soundstage (to my ears).

Who the heck gets rid of a headphone because of ONE thing they don't like about it?! Guess that's me.
 



Trust me dude, I have my OCD issues. When I start to nitpick things I just listen to new music, as I am now. For me the HD650 gets more things right than wrong, and the music shines through in most instances. I'm done.

post #2835 of 36851
I think the urge to label what we're hearing is what does us in. I now try to judge a headphone or any other bit of gear on a one-dimensional scale. How much do I like it? That has the advantage of not really implying some sort of tradeoff or decision. When we get into the "Too much treble, great mids, the soundstage was wide but not deep, bass was full but loose, not fast enough for such-and-such music..." kind of stuff it's no wonder it becomes impossible to make up our minds. Who knows whether "great mids" is more important that "deep soundstage", that probably varies from day to day.

Stick to simple A/B comparisons. Listen to all kinds of music on a K702, give it a good workout. Then listen to a similar mix of music on a HD650. Afterwards simply ask "Which one did I enjoy listening to more". And if you feel the urge to say anything with "but" or "except" in it (i.e. "The K702 was better to listen to but the trebles were harsh") then just slap yourself until you shut up and answer the question.redface.gif Which one, A or B, '702 or '650, AKG or Senn. Which one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread