Yep same for me. The bass quality was always there but it seems the quatity has increased. Perhaps it's because the bass is more controlled now and therefore more distinct.
I'm not a fan of electronic music but sometimes I put on one of the 256kbps dance/techno/whatever stations my ISP streams and the bass has a tactile energy that I find amazing.
In my experience, 90% of techno/electronic music is really awful. The other 10% is brilliant!
I can appreciate any genre barring perhaps opera, if there is brilliance in it's creation. O have an anonymous Britney Spears/Shakira/Bee Gees mashup that is amazing. I don't like either 'artist' at all, but the mashup is amazing.
There are some amazing artists/songs that can only be realized with the electronic/techno genre.