Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1371

post #20551 of 20565

I must say, I've been completely enamored with the HD650 since last Saturday when I plugged it into my Project Ember for the first time.  It's amazing to me because I really didn't expect to like these headphones and I'm still surprised at how much I enjoy listening to them.  They are so forgiving of bad recordings that I can listen to pretty much anything and it sounds at least good.  But on good recordings, things sound amazing.  It's awesome.  I may have to sell my poor HE-4...

post #20552 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post


While that may be true, I'm sure you realize that in order to actually hear a new sound signature correctly your brain needs some tie to acclimate so a few hours may not do the trick. My point is that if you are auditioning other sound signatures in a fairly quick manner, and or not on your system you may not be giving the headphone a fair chance. I'm not saying this is true for you, but most of the time when I read about people having listened to a headphone to see how it sacks up to their favourite you find out that they listened quickly at a meet, or at a friends house while hanging out so I wouldn't think that constitutes a real audition.

I agree completely but be careful. I was chastised a while ago in this thread for suggesting that decisions about what is better could not be made by doing quick A-B comparisons.
Edited by donlin - Today at 12:21 pm
post #20553 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post


I agree completely but be careful. I was chastised a while ago in this thread for suggesting that decisions about what is better could not be made by doing quick A-B comparisons.

 

Opinions are like ******** (a-holes):  we all have them and they all stink.

 

That's the motto that keeps me sane on the internet.  :-D

post #20554 of 20565

Are there any phones with comparable sound signatures to the 650s, but have a larger soundstage?

post #20555 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post
 

Are there any phones with comparable sound signatures to the 650s, but have a larger soundstage?

 

Not that I've heard, no.

post #20556 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post

Are there any phones with comparable sound signatures to the 650s, but have a larger soundstage?

None that I've tried. It's very hard to do warmth with a huge soundstage.
post #20557 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post


None that I've tried. It's very hard to do warmth with a huge soundstage.


Yea, I was wondering if it were possible. I haven't heard that many phones, especially at the $500-and-up level. The LCD-2 is supposed to have a "darker" signature, but I don't know how much a difference there is between the 650. The HeadRoom FR graphs shows some similarities, but I'm not sure about the soundstage comparison (or comfort).

post #20558 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
 

That wasn't my point.  My point was considering everything we do in this hobby, I'm always drawn back to the HD650s because they do so much right for me.


And that is what is always the most important thing; sorry if I seemed like I was challenging you.

post #20559 of 20565

Coming from HE-400's...

 

There is in fact something special to the sound. More organic, fuller sound. The notes are thicker and just have more body instead of the sterile accuracy. The slowness is what does it I think.

 

The attack of each new note is still fast for detail but the decay may be slower? That's how I'd describe it compared to the HE-400's.

 

I could listen to these all day.

post #20560 of 20565

Just got my HD650's in from Amazon, These things aren't even broken in yet and I already feel like they are sexually assaulting my ears.

 

I've got ATH-M50x's for my closed cans and now these for my open, both amazing headphones.

 

This is turning into a bad obsession.

post #20561 of 20565
For those new 650 owners who find their headphone too clamps or not tight enough, I highly recommend this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured

I've owned my 650 for months and it hadn't relaxed on its own. Perhaps after years of clamps enjoyment, it might finally become comfortable, or you could just gently bend the metal band in safe and simple fashion, and the headphone becomes supremely comfortable.

Comfort is essential for headphones, and allows you to focus on the music. So glad I did this.
post #20562 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilrocks View Post


Yea, I was wondering if it were possible. I haven't heard that many phones, especially at the $500-and-up level. The LCD-2 is supposed to have a "darker" signature, but I don't know how much a difference there is between the 650. The HeadRoom FR graphs shows some similarities, but I'm not sure about the soundstage comparison (or comfort).

I listened to LCD-2's for two years straight and IMO the 650 with the right amp is more enjoyable across the board. The 650 soundstage is bigger and image outlines are much better defined.
post #20563 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejsm View Post

Just got my HD650's in from Amazon, These things aren't even broken in yet and I already feel like they are sexually assaulting my ears.

I've got ATH-M50x's for my closed cans and now these for my open, both amazing headphones.

This is turning into a bad obsession.

Only two cans? Sounds healthy. smily_headphones1.gif

. the 650 can seem polite on bass and laid back, but as you sink into them you start enjoying pretty much everything you throw at them. Still, it's great to have closed can, especially one that has a visceral low-end. In that respect, the M50x sound like a perfect compliment.

A closed can that I've been revisiting again is the HD25. The 650 and 25 are true classics for sennheiser whose design have stood the test of time.
post #20564 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post


I listened to LCD-2's for two years straight and IMO the 650 with the right amp is more enjoyable across the board. The 650 soundstage is bigger and image outlines are much better defined.

 

What about the HDVA 600? I'm actually currently thinking of trading my K812 for an LCD-2, if I like it I might sell the HD650. But the comfort factor is a concern..

post #20565 of 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post

What about the HDVA 600? I'm actually currently thinking of trading my K812 for an LCD-2, if I like it I might sell the HD650. But the comfort factor is a concern..

Yes, the HDVA 600 is the amp that made the 650 magical for me. The main comfort problem with Audeze phones is the weight on the very top of your head. I got pretty sore after a while. The 650 clamping doesn't bother me nearly as much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread