or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 131

post #1951 of 36885

I worry about my hearing. These headphones demand to be played at higher volumes than what I normally listen at.

post #1952 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

I worry about my hearing. These headphones demand to be played at higher volumes than what I normally listen at.



Really? I've always felt that I am much more satisfied at lower volumes because there is so much more detail.

post #1953 of 36885

I'm not saying it's lacking at low volume, just that it's so engaging and capable at louder levels. In terms of retaining detail at low volume I think the MS-1i excels at this. Not sure how the HD650 compares just yet because I'm finding it hard to turn the volume down.

post #1954 of 36885


Well - just bend them back before you sell them. Nobody will be able to see the difference. There is no difference to be seen. tnili - have you actually tried the bending fix or seen a bent headphone yourself? Anyway - if you can see the bend, you have bent too much.And that is really hard to do. Anybody feel free to stop by, I'll bend your HD650's in an invisible way anytime, 24/7. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnili View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

I'm not offended - I just think there is generally so much discussion about the "HD650 CLAMPING" around here, and then there is this very easy fix. I suffered the clamping myself and considered returning the HD650 because of it... Your advice: "Bending them will permanently alter them and should you decide to sell them, it may affect their value" is IMO a bad advice, and I wanted to inform newcomers about the clamping-fix (which is not my fix, people have done this for a long time). Don't bend the plastic - bend the metal.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnili View Post

Well, looks like I have offended you somehow.  Let me assure you, I was stating my opinion, nothing more.


I disagree.  Bending the metal may seem harmless to you but it makes a picky buyer take pause.  They may not believe that the metal will bend back to the original shape and give the same clamping force as a new pair of headphones.


Edited by ardilla - 12/18/10 at 2:17am
post #1955 of 36885

I feel the same way. I find more detail with the volume up, rather than down. It also enlarges the soundstage.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

I'm not saying it's lacking at low volume, just that it's so engaging and capable at louder levels. In terms of retaining detail at low volume I think the MS-1i excels at this. Not sure how the HD650 compares just yet because I'm finding it hard to turn the volume down.


Edited by fenixdown110 - 12/18/10 at 2:31am
post #1956 of 36885

I agree here. I have mine bent to a comfortable position to prevent the clamping it used to give me. I've bent them back to stock as well with no adverse effects.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post


Well - just bend them back before you sell them. Nobody will be able to see the difference. There is no difference to be seen. tnili - have you actually tried the bending fix or seen a bent headphone yourself? Anyway - if you can see the bend, you have bent too much.And that is really hard to do. Anybody feel free to stop by, I'll bend your HD650's in an invisible way anytime, 24/7. 

post #1957 of 36885

Fighting the urge to "upgrade" to a silver cable. The majority of music I've thrown at the HD650 has sounded fantastic but the so-called veil in a small number of tracks is starting to plague my OCD.

 

I once read the HD650 was very forgiving to bad recordings. I don't find that to be the case at all. Most of my library is in alac but the tracks that don't sound as good are generally poorly recorded and v0/320 encoded mp3s. I might have to phase out the small percentage of mp3s I still have in my music library.


Edited by olor1n - 12/18/10 at 2:37am
post #1958 of 36885

I upgraded to silver despite the advice about how cables don't make a difference. However, I noticed a difference right away with my rig. I haven't looked back since then.


The 650's in general are forgiving, but a revealing dac and amp will spoil that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

Fighting the urge to "upgrade" to a silver cable. The majority of music I've thrown at the HD650 has sounded fantastic but the so-called veil in a small number of tracks is starting to plague my OCD.

 

I once read the HD650 was very forgiving to bad recordings. I don't find that to be the case at all. Most of my library is in alac but the tracks that don't sound as good are generally poorly recorded and v0/320 encoded mp3s. I might have to phase out the small percentage of mp3s I still have in my music library.

post #1959 of 36885

Yeah I'm a skeptic by nature and I find the pricing of after market cables to be dubious. At the same time, and despite my hearing loss, I'm confident that I'm discerning enough to pick out even minute changes. Your testimonial is rather convincing.

post #1960 of 36885

I've seen the comparison graphs of data of before recabling and after with no apparent changes. However, personally comparing sound signatures, there is definitely a difference that can't be measured with equipment other than your own ears. I chose to go with Headphile silver cables due to the fact that they're the most price efficient recables you can buy. Very affordable.

post #1961 of 36885

If I were to go balanced with the HD650 down the track, would it just be a matter of getting a balanced cable with the corresponding ends, or would the cans themselves require work as well?

post #1962 of 36885

i think it's a cable and amp thing. you need a balanced amp as well.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

If I were to go balanced with the HD650 down the track, would it just be a matter of getting a balanced cable with the corresponding ends, or would the cans themselves require work as well?

post #1963 of 36885

Yeah I understand I'd have to rebuild my chain. I just wanted to know what work needed to be done to the headphone.


Edited by olor1n - 12/18/10 at 8:43am
post #1964 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

Yeah I understand I'd have to rebuild my chain. I just wanted to know what work needed to be done to the headphone.



Nope, the cans require no modification.

post #1965 of 36885
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixdown110 View Post

I've seen the comparison graphs of data of before recabling and after with no apparent changes. However, personally comparing sound signatures, there is definitely a difference that can't be measured with equipment other than your own ears. I chose to go with Headphile silver cables due to the fact that they're the most price efficient recables you can buy. Very affordable.



I went with those as well. A few times since I've changed back to the stock cables kind of hoping I wouldn't hear a difference (because the stocks are 10' and easier to manage) but after a few minutes I've changed back again. The only way I can describe the difference is the old cliche of a veil being taken away. It's subtle, and I wouldn't like to pick it on a blind listening test, yet it's there. No cable of course can add treble, but a clearer view of the music gives the impression of more treble, or at least tempers the desire for more treble.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread