or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1278

post #19156 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Trust me. You can't find more comfortable headphones than HD600/650. Clamping force is not an issue at all - and can be dealt with in under 5 minutes.

How do the ear cups compare to HD595? My upper ear lobes get a bit sore if I listen to them for long periods of time.

 

And I stress. At the moment I want the most comfortable headphones I can find. Even if it comes at the expense of sound quality..

post #19157 of 28420

I found the DT880s were very comfortable, but sometimes my ears would touch the foam over the drivers.  Not all the time, and not very much, but enough to notice (and once I noticed, it was distracting.)  Haven't had that problem at all with the HD650s.  I've got kind of a big head and the clamping force was never an issue either, even straight out of the box.  They are very comfortable to wear, even for long periods.

post #19158 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAssPanda View Post
 

And I stress. At the moment I want the most comfortable headphones I can find. Even if it comes at the expense of sound quality..

I've been sitting in my listening chair with my HD650 on for close to 5 hours straight, just listening to some great new music and reading Head-Fi. I can barely tell I'm wearing them. I have just a soft feeling around my ears, like when you lay on your pillow. There is no fatigue from clamping or sound. If I wasn't getting tired (midnight here) I could keep them on for another 5 hours and not have any comfort issues. Full disclosure, I have a big head that can cause some headphones to be unbearable; but not the HD650.

post #19159 of 28420
My Denon AH-D600 easily the most comfortable headphone I've worn. I do find the hd650 a bit clampy. Mine is used, but it may still be getting used to head. It's a snug fit. I also thought my Shure srh-840s were very comfortable.

And when I had them my mdr-ex600 were more comfortable than any headphone being an IEM wih a very good fit.
post #19160 of 28420

HD650s are extremely comfortable. You just need to wear down the pads a bit with use. I thought they clamped a lot at first (five years ago now), but they are my most comfortable cans at the moment. 

post #19161 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAssPanda View Post
 

Still not convinced about HD650 being comfortable enough for me.

You can try this method : http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured

 

Quote:
The Procedure:
Fully extend the headband so no more of the metal part of the headband can be exposed. Grasp one ear cup with one hand and the plastic part of the headband with the other right where the metal part starts to go into the plastic part. To clarify, grasp plastic directly on each end of the metal band, and put your thumbs on the metal band for leverage. Then bend it until the metal band is straight or slightly bent backwards, hold for 3 seconds, repeat X times. Repeat X times with the other side. Repeat until the headphones are as loose as you want. This also can be done to tighten the grip of these headphones. Just bend the metal band in the same manner but in the opposite direction.

I did this to my HD600 and it works!

post #19162 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by abablitz View Post
 

I'm selling my mint bottlehead crack otl amp if anyone is interested, they pair really well with the 650's. 

 

Are you going to list it in the "for sale" section here?

post #19163 of 28420

Just upgraded from 598's, and I feel the 650's are better in every way but one.  The vocals seem recessed compared to the 598's, and it kinda kills the enjoyment on some songs.  Everything else is more lively and detailed, but the vocals seem to be a little muffled by the more forward instrumentation on some rock songs.  Right now I'm using a Behringer UCA202 >Bravo V3 (Amperex Orange Globe) >650.  I'm going to be testing out a Schiit Vali instead of the Bravo, and I will be getting a Modi eventually.  Do you think that will help with my issue, or should I maybe look at HD 600's?  

post #19164 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajakhaki View Post
 

Just upgraded from 598's, and I feel the 650's are better in every way but one.  The vocals seem recessed compared to the 598's, and it kinda kills the enjoyment on some songs.  Everything else is more lively and detailed, but the vocals seem to be a little muffled by the more forward instrumentation on some rock songs.  Right now I'm using a Behringer UCA202 >Bravo V3 (Amperex Orange Globe) >650.  I'm going to be testing out a Schiit Vali instead of the Bravo, and I will be getting a Modi eventually.  Do you think that will help with my issue, or should I maybe look at HD 600's?  


agree with you there. i feel like the instrumentals are overpowering the vocals which i really dislike. thinking about selling hd650 solely on that reason

post #19165 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajakhaki View Post
 

Just upgraded from 598's, and I feel the 650's are better in every way but one.  The vocals seem recessed compared to the 598's, and it kinda kills the enjoyment on some songs.  Everything else is more lively and detailed, but the vocals seem to be a little muffled by the more forward instrumentation on some rock songs.  Right now I'm using a Behringer UCA202 >Bravo V3 (Amperex Orange Globe) >650.  I'm going to be testing out a Schiit Vali instead of the Bravo, and I will be getting a Modi eventually.  Do you think that will help with my issue, or should I maybe look at HD 600's?

Could you tell me some songs you feel the vocals are too laid back on?

 

I have had no real problems with this.  I hear the vocals great on all the material I listen to.

post #19166 of 28420

 it's more of a masking effect from the bass than a problem of mids IMO. because the information is very much present, not really recessed. and not at all blurred. just EQ down the bass a little and see if the mids are to your liking. because that's pretty much what you'll get on a hd600.

post #19167 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajakhaki View Post
 

Just upgraded from 598's, and I feel the 650's are better in every way but one.  The vocals seem recessed compared to the 598's, and it kinda kills the enjoyment on some songs.  Everything else is more lively and detailed, but the vocals seem to be a little muffled by the more forward instrumentation on some rock songs.  Right now I'm using a Behringer UCA202 >Bravo V3 (Amperex Orange Globe) >650.  I'm going to be testing out a Schiit Vali instead of the Bravo, and I will be getting a Modi eventually.  Do you think that will help with my issue, or should I maybe look at HD 600's?  

I use a Schiit Magni/modi combo and vocals sound really balanced, I've never felt like they've been overpowered by the mids or bass imo. I also came from HD 598s, but didn't like them due to buzzing issues. I will say that the highs on the 598 are more amplified in comparison to the mids or bass. On the 650 the Bass and mids are slightly more amplified and the highs are natural and less piercing than the 598s (once again, imo). I can say that the 650's are just simply better in every way when compared to the 598s, more detailed, better positional audio, very full sounding and really pulls you into the music. I hope you will be happy with the Schiit vali and modi paired with the 650, I think the bright signature of the schiit modi and amp mixes well with the warmth of the 650's to produce a wonderful sound!

 

*edit* Woah, Amazon's price just jumped up $100 for the 650's. I'm glad I snagged mine when I did. 


Edited by MrGoat - 9/1/14 at 3:04am
post #19168 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukiNick View Post
 

Could you tell me some songs you feel the vocals are too laid back on?

 

I have had no real problems with this.  I hear the vocals great on all the material I listen to.

    The vocals are clearly there, just wish I could turn up just the vocals at times.  I think it has more to do with the smaller sound stage now.  With the 598's it was much wider, so the guitar would be off to the left and vocals were more in the middle.  Now the guitar is much closer to left center and competes with the vocals more.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post
 

 it's more of a masking effect from the bass than a problem of mids IMO. because the information is very much present, not really recessed. and not at all blurred. just EQ down the bass a little and see if the mids are to your liking. because that's pretty much what you'll get on a hd600.

 
On further review, recessed is probably the wrong word.  It is balanced, but I guess I'm used to the vocals being a little more forward than the rest of the music, probably has to do with smaller sound stage on the 650.  Ears probably just need to adjust to it.  
post #19169 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
 

I use a Schiit Magni/modi combo and vocals sound really balanced, I've never felt like they've been overpowered by the mids or bass imo. I also came from HD 598s, but didn't like them due to buzzing issues. I will say that the highs on the 598 are more amplified in comparison to the mids or bass. On the 650 the Bass and mids are slightly more amplified and the highs are natural and less piercing than the 598s (once again, imo). I can say that the 650's are just simply better in every way when compared to the 598s, more detailed, better positional audio, very full sounding and really pulls you into the music. I hope you will be happy with the Schiit vali and modi paired with the 650, I think the bright signature of the schiit modi and amp mixes well with the warmth of the 650's to produce a wonderful sound!

 

*edit* Woah, Amazon's price just jumped up $100 for the 650's. I'm glad I snagged mine when I did. 

Ya, after further listening I would say the 650's are more balanced, when I've been used to the vocals being a little more forward.  I do miss the sound stage of the 598's for sure, but as you said, everything else is much better on the 650's.  

post #19170 of 28420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajakhaki View Post
 

Ya, after further listening I would say the 650's are more balanced, when I've been used to the vocals being a little more forward.  I do miss the sound stage of the 598's for sure, but as you said, everything else is much better on the 650's.  

 

Yes.  You need to give your ears time to adjust to the HD-650.  I have both cans and, trust me, after some dedicated listening on the 650s you won't enjoy the 598s the same way you used to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread