Glad to hear :). Not everyone likes them from the first few hours.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV Last post on Yesterday at 6:30 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 3/3/17 at 6:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 1/9/17 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 3/16/17 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 123
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Fundamentally, we're probably limiting our HD650 enjoyment, but I'm in the same boat; I just don't have the budget (or the chill space) to justify a desktop amp. If you're set on going balanced, that looks like a kicka** portable setup. If you aren't set on balanced, the Headstage Arrow drives the HD650s extremely well. It's light, tiny, I get over 15 hours driving the Senns - and it pairs gorgeously with the black J3.
BTW - I roll FLAC on the J3 and I don't think it's a waste of space (I have the 32 GB version) or bitrate. The quality of sound may be perceived, but I don't mind taking a placebo now and then. ;) Besides, single-file source is important to me with regard to library management and multiple listening devices. Sorry for straying a bit off-topic.
Thanks ardilla and satellite_6, yeah I will check the earpads then. Or maybe my nose will help.
By the way, one more questions fellas, how would you rate the setup below? I am a student, don't have big a budget. So high-end sources or desktop amps/dacs are not in the near future for me. I mean will I get most of the hd650s as a portable setup with the components below?
FLACs-->Cowon J3-->iBasso CB06 interconnect-->iBasso PB1 Toucan-->Balanced Cable-->HD 650
I am also really curious that cool looking interconnect will make any difference, or it is just bling?
Balanced cable is modded from stock sennheiser cable by iBasso, and it is shorten to 1.5m (less resistance right).
What's up East Bay?! (I'm in Oregon now but from Alameda) You're one happy dude! Enjoy.
Hi, just unpacked my new 650's. I am very excited. Been listening to them now for around an hour and I am very impressed already. They have good synergy with my headroom gear and I guess that will improve over time. No problems with "clamping" pressure. They seem custom made for me. Very comfy fit. Ah, a rainy weekend coming up and the crib is fully stocked with food and a large CD collection to try the new babies on. Life is good
Get some booze as well, will make your 650s sound even better.
Congrats Raptor34, this should be great weekend.
I am waiting my hd650 in agony :) they should be arriving next week. my PB1 toucan is already here, but I can't take benefit of it (no performance difference with ie8's, just a slight color change).
Mediogre, I agree with you in placebo effect. I suppose it is a pretty solid factor in audio stuff. Besides I have 8+16gb of space, and managing J3 is easy, no itunes crap. It won't be a fully balanced setup, since I connect J3 to PB1 with a 3.5-3.5mm interconnect, but for now I don't have another choice, maybe a DB1 in future. One good side of balanced cable I should be getting more amplification (+7.5db single end, +15db balanced) out of PB1. I will right back here about two cables. For now I should rip more CD :)
i just won an HD650 on ebay from seller http://myworld.ebay.com/razordogdeals2008/. got them for $328, and did second day shipping. so i should have them wednesday. they are an authorized dealer. so excited!
Congrats! I purchased my HD600 from razordogdeals and it was a great transaction. I hope to one day compare my 600 to a pair of 650's.....
good to hear. the price was really cheap, but it all seems legit. can't wait till wednesday. i also need to order a better amp/dac for it, but for now my PA2V2 will have to do.
Hit me up over late December/early January and we should have a little mini-meet. I know there are bunches of people in Milwaukee who would be game. Also, I would very much like to hear some HD600s.
Then you get close to what is intended :-) I often smile when people describe e.g. HD800 as "neutral", when you know that many records are produced with e.g. Beyer DT770's
I had a professional producer and artist over at my place once, and when we put on one of his records he was amazed - there just was so much he hadn't heard before. And this record he had composed and produced himself...
This comment made me smile.
They use them because they don't want to blow $1400 for a headphone that is open, when the DT770 can be had for under $200 and is closed. Which DT770 are you referring to?
My point is only that phrases like "you hear only what is intended", "neutral" etc. are relatively meaningless because one seldom knows what the producers/sound engineers used when they were mixing the material. Of course its a matter of not wanting to spend money. And many use HD800 to mix their records, and more should do so.
BTW, glad that I made you smile :-)
I received a pair of HD650's last week and have been almost unable to stop enjoying them since they arrived. They are my first set of decent over the ear headphones. They seem to have great synergy with my Nuforce HDP (dac/hp amp). I'm very pleased with the combination.
At first the clamping was a little bothersome but I bent the metal part of the band a bit more open in the recommended manner and they are much more comfortable now. Looking forward to enjoying these 650's for (hopefully) many years to come.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 second ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 3 minutes ago
- › Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › Headphone cable XLR 1,8 meters from Venus Audio FOR SENNHEISER... 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-1DAC (2016) 230V 4 minutes ago
- › New DIY Altoids Tin Amp - The Class A "Wintergreen Handwarmer" by... 5 minutes ago
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear