or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 120

post #1786 of 37349

Just curious..have any of you started with the HD-600 and upgraded to the HD-650 and preferred it over the HD-600?

 

I had the HD-650 in the past and never liked it. It could be that it was underpowered or that I didn't give it a fair chance. I did have the k701 and DT-990 though at the time.

A year later I gave the HD-600 a try and loved it. Now that I've upgraded it's cable and my amp, it's even better.

 

I especially love headphones for high quality vocals. Are the vocals even better on the HD-650 then the HD-600? I'm interested in the best female vocals I can find. Is there any huge difference between the two when it comes to vocals?

 

At this point i'm not sure if it would be worth upgrading my HD-600 to the HD-650, but it's tempting! The extra bass isn't enough for me to want to upgrade. I have heard the HD-650 has a bit more detail overall.

 

post #1787 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Just curious..have any of you started with the HD-600 and upgraded to the HD-650 and preferred it over the HD-600?

 

I had the HD-650 in the past and never liked it. It could be that it was underpowered or that I didn't give it a fair chance. I did have the k701 and DT-990 though at the time.

A year later I gave the HD-600 a try and loved it. Now that I've upgraded it's cable and my amp, it's even better.

 

I especially love headphones for high quality vocals. Are the vocals even better on the HD-650 then the HD-600? I'm interested in the best female vocals I can find. Is there any huge difference between the two when it comes to vocals?

 

At this point i'm not sure if it would be worth upgrading my HD-600 to the HD-650, but it's tempting! The extra bass isn't enough for me to want to upgrade. I have heard the HD-650 has a bit more detail overall.

 



Some of us don't think that the HD600 to HD650 is an upgrade at all.

post #1788 of 37349

Yeah RedBull, agreed, not as picky as the HD800 for sure!

post #1789 of 37349

I feel that the 600's are indeed better balanced overall than the 650's.

The 600's are slightly more grainy, have less bass, and may be slightly less refined than the 650's, but for overall balance, I personally prefer the 600's.


Edited by daltonlanny - 11/2/10 at 3:30am
post #1790 of 37349

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Just curious..have any of you started with the HD-600 and upgraded to the HD-650 and preferred it over the HD-600?

 

I had the HD-650 in the past and never liked it. It could be that it was underpowered or that I didn't give it a fair chance. I did have the k701 and DT-990 though at the time.

A year later I gave the HD-600 a try and loved it. Now that I've upgraded it's cable and my amp, it's even better.

 

I especially love headphones for high quality vocals. Are the vocals even better on the HD-650 then the HD-600? I'm interested in the best female vocals I can find. Is there any huge difference between the two when it comes to vocals?

 

At this point i'm not sure if it would be worth upgrading my HD-600 to the HD-650, but it's tempting! The extra bass isn't enough for me to want to upgrade. I have heard the HD-650 has a bit more detail overall.

 



HD650 is smoother and slightly wider soundstage, the bass is deeper, more laidback sound than HD600.  That's the good thing.

 

Now the bad thing is, HD650 bass tend to be boomy if you don't get the right amp, while HD600 is lean and tight-'er' by nature, vocal is also more forward in exchange to a slight, just a slight more grainy.

 

It's only a matter of taste, really.

post #1791 of 37349

I saw a young adult male at Back Bay Boston wearing a Sennheiser HD 650's driving it from his iPhone 4g with no amplifier. I was not appalled by his lack of power that the hungry 650's demand, but more at him bringing the 650s outside and using the 650s portably. How can you listen to any music without people standing next to you snickering at your "unique" taste in music? 

post #1792 of 37349

The vocals on the HD 650s sound absolutely amazing to me! No idea how they compare to the HD 600s though. I guess I'll have to try them one day to see if I wasted ~$75. 

 

It seems most people think the cheaper DT880s and HD 600s sound better than the DT990s and HD 650s. frown.gif Somehow I find it hard to believe. . . 

 

Listening to them right now btw. 

post #1793 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post

The vocals on the HD 650s sound absolutely amazing to me! No idea how they compare to the HD 600s though. I guess I'll have to try them one day to see if I wasted ~$75. 

 

It seems most people think the cheaper DT880s and HD 600s sound better than the DT990s and HD 650s. frown.gif Somehow I find it hard to believe. . . 

 

Listening to them right now btw. 



I just received the DT880/600's and I can tell you that they are NOT better than the HD650's. I prefer the HD650's sound, but the DT880's are A LOT more comfortable. Just my opinion of course...

post #1794 of 37349

Comfort issues with the HD650 is mainly because of clamping. This is easily fixed by extending the metalstrips-part of the headband to the max and slightly bend them to an easier shape. 

 

No more clamping - the HD650 really is VERY comfy  :-)

post #1795 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES View Post
I just received the DT880/600's and I can tell you that they are NOT better than the HD650's. I prefer the HD650's sound, but the DT880's are A LOT more comfortable. Just my opinion of course...

Everyone finds the dt800s comfy tongue.gif

post #1796 of 37349

I just got my HD650s in the mail today and for not having any time on them, they sound amazing. I'm upgrading from a pair of Bose OE headphones. Just waiting for my WA6 to come in and I'll be set. 

post #1797 of 37349

You'll never be set tongue.gif. It's an addiction!


Edited by MomijiTMO - 11/3/10 at 4:23pm
post #1798 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

You'll never be set tongue.gif. It's an addition!


I need to correct your spelling there ... i.e., 'addiction' and not 'addition'. 

post #1799 of 37349

Cheers tongue.gif

post #1800 of 37349

Is it just my pair, or is it ridiculously hard to adjust the headband?

 

Other than that, very lovely pair of headphones! They even sound excellent unamped... (EF2A hasn't arrived yet)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread