Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1155

post #17311 of 19166

Don't underestimate the amplification.  For example, this last week I've been listening exclusively to the HD650 being driven by the TEAC HA-501.  The sound was very crisp, precise, and transparent.  My ear burned in nicely.

 

Then, last night to change things up, I switched to my DT990 600 ohm being driven by my Woo WA3.  The DT990s traditionally have deep, tight bass and sizzling highs.  Well, compared to the TEAC HD650 combo, the DT990 and WA3 was extremely warm, laid back, flabby, and wooly.

 

Amplification makes a big difference.  In last night's example, the DT990 was more laid back, mellow, and euphonic. 

post #17312 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmarty View Post
 

@connieflyer: The HD600 was very good but it just was lacking a little in the Bass area for me. It had good Bass but not as much impact as the HD650. The HD650 felt like a warm blanket around you. It had good Bass, excellent Mids and pretty good Highs. The HD700 just seemed a bit harsh sounding to me and I did not favor it at all. The HD800 on the other hand was fantastic and if I was able to spend that kind of money I would have gotten that over the HD650. It was extremely detailed and huge soundstage and although a little bit brighter than the 650 not in a harsh way at all. The HD800 was also much more comfortable than the HD650.

thank you for the information,  that is about the same as I have heard in the past.  I am going to keep the 650's until I can afford the 800's, but for now these will do quite well.  

post #17313 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post

Thanks Lorspeaker, I hope so!

Krutsch- I know. It sounds a little nuts to me too, but since so many people say it, I have to respect it. So instead of just concluding that the 650s aren't what I'm looking for -- out of the box -- I'll do the break-in for a few days with continuous music and then make another evaluation.

I just read an article where they took measurements before and after 100 hours, and there aren't any real changes in frequency response. The main difference was in pad wear, which they say will affect the sound more than anything by making them more bassy.

I apologize if this is a tired subject for some of you. I'm chasing the holy grail of sound for my ears and I'm afraid its going to be Goldilocks syndrome: "These phones are too bright. These phones are too bassy..." For the reviewers that actually say there's a difference, the 600s sound like they may be what I'm looking for: not as sweet or flattering, but more natural, with less bass and a little more bite up top.

 

Thanks for making that point.  My theory is that the sound may change a little after use (after all, they are physical transducers), but my ears/brain adapts to, and expects, the sound it hears.  So, after time, the sound becomes more pleasing.  I suspect that's sacrilege to say, but that's my opinion of what constitutes break in.  Granted I have had limited exposure to different phones and IEMs over time.

 

As such, I've noticed that it's hard for me to A/B headphones; especially from different manufacturers.  Assuming the cans are of good quality, what I've been listening to the most are what I tend to prefer.  And, it takes me time to get to that place.

 

I was up late last night listening to favorite tracks on the 650s and I am getting to that place with these phones, fast...

post #17314 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

100-200-300 hours for break in?  I've been away from my head-fi rig for a while, but just got my HD 650 today - used from a seller on eBay that claimed very little use (they do appear unused).  I am coming from Grado RS2i and the change in sound is really dramatic; lush is one way to put it, but I see what folks mean by the veil.

Looking forward to experiencing the "break in".

I've owned my hd650's for about 2 and a half years now, and listen to them at least a few hours a day. Mine are well over the 1000 hour mark, and they are way opposite of being muffled, and sounding like a 50 dollar pair of headphones! When brand new, they sound like an ordinary pair. Wait a month or two, and you will literally have your mind blown away! You will say, OMG! They're completely awesome headphones! And when paired with a good tube amp....well....you'll experience total audio nirvana! I know I have! smily_headphones1.gif here's to a happy listening. biggrin.gif
post #17315 of 19166

I have the 650's, just got the Valhalla and currently use the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BR Player as a transport (it has four burr brown 32-bit/192kHz DACs).  I am thinking about getting an external DAC but am not sure if it will be a marked increase in quality or just different.  I don't want to spend over 500 and am not against getting a oldie but goodie.  I want one with at least two toslink inputs and a toslink out to be used with my HT system.

 

Any suggestions?

post #17316 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post
 

I have the 650's, just got the Valhalla and currently use the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BR Player as a transport (it has four burr brown 32-bit/192kHz DACs).  I am thinking about getting an external DAC but am not sure if it will be a marked increase in quality or just different.  I don't want to spend over 500 and am not against getting a oldie but goodie.  I want one with at least two toslink inputs and a toslink out to be used with my HT system.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Looks like a nice machine, on paper, but you're not using this as a transport, rather as a player (i.e. analog out from the Panny to the Valhalla).  If you are fine with physical media and/or DLNA playback, why not stick with what you have and get to know your Valhalla?

 

However, if you want something to bridge your PC (or Mac?) to your AVR via USB, I *highly* recommend the bel canto mLink.  It's $199.00 if you Google around and the impact it made on my playback chain was jaw-dropping.

post #17317 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

the impact it made on my playback chain was jaw-dropping.

Compared to what, analog out of your PC? That I could understand, but otherwise, this is just a USB to S/PDIF converter... I wouldn't expect it to have much impact on a digital signal compared to anything else, unless the clocking is really exceptional.
post #17318 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post


Compared to what, analog out of your PC? That I could understand, but otherwise, this is just a USB to S/PDIF converter... I wouldn't expect it to have much impact on a digital signal compared to anything else, unless the clocking is really exceptional.

 

That's the point: the clocking is really exceptional on the bel canto.  It's also galvanically isolated on the USB input, so I feed the output to my DAC and the difference was stunning.

post #17319 of 19166

Does anyone know of a great preset on Electri-Q for the 650's? I just read up on the

"How to equalize your headphones"thread and I wanted to know if you guys have had

a good experience with EQing these.

post #17320 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post
 

 

Looks like a nice machine, on paper, but you're not using this as a transport, rather as a player (i.e. analog out from the Panny to the Valhalla).  If you are fine with physical media and/or DLNA playback, why not stick with what you have and get to know your Valhalla?

 

However, if you want something to bridge your PC (or Mac?) to your AVR via USB, I *highly* recommend the bel canto mLink.  It's $199.00 if you Google around and the impact it made on my playback chain was jaw-dropping.


Thanks for the reply; I took one foot off the ledge but I'm not in the window yet!  I should really  take some time to enjoy what I have and get to know the characteristics of the sound.

post #17321 of 19166
My 650's are finally "breaking in" after apx. 150 hours of use and their sweet spot is oh, so wonderful! Though maybe it is my new Fiio E09k/E17 combo versus the Cambridge Azur/Music Fidelity Xcan V3 partnering. Listening to the Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks, V7 was an ethreal experience last night, the space jams sounding powerful and soooooo sweet, at the same time. Had read that the E09k did not have enough juice for the 650's, definitely not the case, twelve o'clock blows me away. Initially, I forgot to switch the amp to high gain, my bad, after using my Sony XB4's. Thought the smattering of posts making this claim were correct, had a minor epiphany, and am now blown away by the combination, affordable Audi nirvana! Perhaps those who claimed the E09k lacked the juevos to drive the 650's made the same mistake.....
post #17322 of 19166
I really hope I get my HD650s tomorrow. All this suspense!
post #17323 of 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
 

Don't underestimate the amplification.  For example, this last week I've been listening exclusively to the HD650 being driven by the TEAC HA-501.  The sound was very crisp, precise, and transparent.  My ear burned in nicely.

 

Then, last night to change things up, I switched to my DT990 600 ohm being driven by my Woo WA3.  The DT990s traditionally have deep, tight bass and sizzling highs.  Well, compared to the TEAC HD650 combo, the DT990 and WA3 was extremely warm, laid back, flabby, and wooly.

 

Amplification makes a big difference.  In last night's example, the DT990 was more laid back, mellow, and euphonic. 

 

x2

 

..and on a perhaps more controversial note...don't underestimate the benefit of running the 650s in balanced mode

post #17324 of 19166

"Hey, this Bifrost I got clicks! What’s up with that?

It’s just the muting relay, operating normally. We chose a relay rather than relying on the D/A chip’s soft mute, since it’s safer and less sonically invasive. You'll thank us when you accidentally send some Dolby Digital content down the line and your speakers don't explode because of full-scale noise on the output."
 
I am using the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 analog RCA output straight to the Valhalla.  I am listening to DTS-MA, DTS and DD all downmixed to stereo "surround encoded".  It all plays without a hitch.  If I hooked the Panasonic via toslink to the Bifrost would I get sound from all the aforementioned formats? 
post #17325 of 19166

I noticed somewhat large upgrade in sound by upgrading my Modi to HRT MS II+. Now the 650's sound much airier and more "alive" than before. Now I understand why people say Vali requires a better DAC to claim its rights. Before upgrading Modi, I was determined to upgrade Vali first, but now I'm not so sure I need to upgrade anything in a long while. :cool:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread