or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1153

post #17281 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Looks like they took it off the website. Could have been a mistake on their part. Hope not. 

 

Stores often put placeholders up for new products, and usually customers don't find them too easily.  It's likely that Schitt found out the placeholder got discovered and asked them to take it down.

 

Or, it could be a controlled leak, a la Apple.

post #17282 of 37399

Or it could have been someone combing lyr and Asgard 2...:wink:

post #17283 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
 

 

I do, balanced, with a CLAS db.  Its a very strong pairing, with plenty of power.  But I do prefer my HD650 with my HiFi-M8, also balanced.  The M8 has just a bit more strength in the lower regesters, and feels a bit more "tubey"....

 

Cheers Jeff. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.

post #17284 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Without knowing anything about the lyr 2 I'd still agree with you here. The Crack is made for the 650. The lyr and respectively the lyr2 will be more versatile playing well with other hp's. 

I think that's probably while I'll never have a crack. I would like my amp to work well with multiple headphones.
post #17285 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 View Post


I think that's probably while I'll never have a crack. I would like my amp to work well with multiple headphones.


That seems to be the only down fall to the crack...if you onl have the 650 then you are ok....also maybe some beyers....just not as versatile if you own a few pair of cans.

 

It all fairness to the BHC.....most people seem to own a couple of amps anyway....maybe a tube and a ss amp.

post #17286 of 37399

Received my 650s yesterday. I ordered them because: I started a headphone search a couple months ago. It's really difficult to find places to audition headphones, and I didn't realize you guys have meets. Of the ones I was able to audition, the Beyer DT-880 and these Sen 650s impressed me the most (and the LCD-2, but you know...). 

 

I bought the DT-880 600 Ohm, then a Matrix Mini-i as a DAC, partly based on its "warm" signature, and then a Darkvoice 336se. Trying to de-harsh the 880s. They are really special phones -- they have some magic in their air and I love it, but they're thin in the upper-bass and low-mids and certain songs just make me wince. I have to turn down the volume or take them off. Stuff like light jazz and classical are really great (Diana Krall sounds amazing with this setup), but with lots of other stuff they grate on me and and/or sound thin. To try to "tame" them, I got some RCA tubes -- a greyglass VT-231 and a 6AS7. A somewhat subtle change overall, but in the right direction.

 

I couldn't get the 650s off my mind, so I'm auditioning them now to find out if they give me what I'm looking for.

 

Well, out of the box they're pretty much the opposite of the 880s. There's an expensive feel and sound to them (and there should be for the price). Even though they're tight on my head right now, I like the positive-feedback feel better than the 880s light, barely-touching-your-head feel.

 

I immediately noticed the nice, full, rich low end. I sat and listened for a while and found myself wanting to EQ in an upper mid and treble boost. Was this the "veil" I keep hearing about? The bass started to seem a little too full. The soundstage is nice, but no comparison to the wide-open airiness of the 880, which is really the 880s biggest strength. In comparison, the 650 seems closed in, pinched and a little muffled. That said, still wonderful sounding. Listening in iTunes, if I EQ in some upper mids and highs, they get right about where I want them, SS-wise. I have a lot of different sources though, so I don't want to have to rely on EQ'ing them. 

 

I have a Sylvania VT-231 tube on the way to try to brighten up my rig. The Mini-i isn't doing the 650s any favors either.

 

I've been busy reading the break-in threads and apparently what I'm experiencing is completely normal... and that after 100, 200, or 300 hours they'll be like a different set of phones; the bass will tighten and un-bloat, the treble will present itself and the phones will just open up. I'm willing to find out, so I guess I'm going to leave iTunes on in shuffle mode for a few more days.

 

You guys think I'm in for a nice surprise or a disappointment?

post #17287 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

For me, once you go Crack, there's no going back. When I buy the 650 again the only amp under 1-1500 is the Crack.

Lyr 2 is probably nice but if you're deciding between the Crack and the Lyr 2, I still think for the 650 the Crack will win out.

Now if I had an ortho and the 650 I would probably give it a try.

Does the crack work well at all with a set of smaller monitors? If i get back into hifi 650 is the only pair of headphones i will own, although it would be nice if the crack could power some decent bookshelfs.

post #17288 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post
 

 

Cheers Jeff. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.

 

I don't know the A&K sound signature, but I'm sure it will lend itself well...

post #17289 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post

I don't know the A&K sound signature, but I'm sure it will lend itself well...

I'm actually getting Vinnie at Red Wine audio to swap out the DAC chips and give it a full balanced mod. Supposedly it shouldn't sound too far off the ak240 one done. All in all, pretty excited to hear it smily_headphones1.gif
post #17290 of 37399

First off, welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your phones as much as we do.  Since you had a chance to compare all the Senns at one time, could you give us an idea as to how they compare to each other?  Using their amps should take out any mismatches and leave just the phone sound. Enjoy, Don

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmarty View Post
 

Wanted to say hello and officially make my first post be in this thread.

 

I came to this forum for reviews a couple of years ago when I need a portable on ear headphone and ended up with the VModa M-80. That kept me happy for quite some time.

 

But then recently I was wondering how much better things could be. I came back to the site and did a lot of research to find out how I could get into better desktop audio. After lots of research I had an idea what I wanted but was not sure if I should just order it without ever being able to listen to it. Then out of nowhere I saw an ad for Axpona in Chicago and saw that they would have a headphone special area.

I went and got to listen to some great gear. At first I was going to get a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog or if I was crazy enough an Audeze LCD2 but after I tried them I felt that they were both excellent but also just a tad too expensive and heavy for my taste. I also listened to the Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, and HD800 through their amps. I was floored how much of a good sound you could get out of the HD650 for the price. Since they had a show special and the $50 online rebate I pulled the trigger right then and there.

 

Even just listening to them straight from my MacBook they sounded great but I knew to unlock them I would have to spend some more money and get a DAC and Amplifier. So after some more research on here :) I landed on the Schiit Valhalla and Modi combo. They arrived today and even without much of a burn in my jaw hit the floor. This is some incredible Schiit!! I have a very good home system but this is just incredible. I can only imagine what this will do to my wallet in the long term. This hobby is just sucking me in big time.

 

Needless to say for now they will have to surgically remove the smile from my face.

 

Some time in the future I want to take on the Bottlehead Crack DIY but for now I am content. 

 

I am in heaven!!!!!

post #17291 of 37399

@connieflyer: The HD600 was very good but it just was lacking a little in the Bass area for me. It had good Bass but not as much impact as the HD650. The HD650 felt like a warm blanket around you. It had good Bass, excellent Mids and pretty good Highs. The HD700 just seemed a bit harsh sounding to me and I did not favor it at all. The HD800 on the other hand was fantastic and if I was able to spend that kind of money I would have gotten that over the HD650. It was extremely detailed and huge soundstage and although a little bit brighter than the 650 not in a harsh way at all. The HD800 was also much more comfortable than the HD650.

post #17292 of 37399
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccash View Post
 

<snip, snip>

 

I immediately noticed the nice, full, rich low end. I sat and listened for a while and found myself wanting to EQ in an upper mid and treble boost. Was this the "veil" I keep hearing about? The bass started to seem a little too full. The soundstage is nice, but no comparison to the wide-open airiness of the 880, which is really the 880s biggest strength. In comparison, the 650 seems closed in, pinched and a little muffled. That said, still wonderful sounding. Listening in iTunes, if I EQ in some upper mids and highs, they get right about where I want them, SS-wise. I have a lot of different sources though, so I don't want to have to rely on EQ'ing them. 

 

<snip, snip>

 

I've been busy reading the break-in threads and apparently what I'm experiencing is completely normal... and that after 100, 200, or 300 hours they'll be like a different set of phones; the bass will tighten and un-bloat, the treble will present itself and the phones will just open up. I'm willing to find out, so I guess I'm going to leave iTunes on in shuffle mode for a few more days.

 

You guys think I'm in for a nice surprise or a disappointment?

 

100-200-300 hours for break in?  I've been away from my head-fi rig for a while, but just got my HD 650 today - used from a seller on eBay that claimed very little use (they do appear unused).  I am coming from Grado RS2i and the change in sound is really dramatic; lush is one way to put it, but I see what folks mean by the veil.

 

Looking forward to experiencing the "break in".

post #17293 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post

Received my 650s yesterday. I ordered them because: I started a headphone search a couple months ago. It's really difficult to find places to audition headphones, and I didn't realize you guys have meets. Of the ones I was able to audition, the Beyer DT-880 and these Sen 650s impressed me the most (and the LCD-2, but you know...). 

I bought the DT-880 600 Ohm, then a Matrix Mini-i as a DAC, partly based on its "warm" signature, and then a Darkvoice 336se. Trying to de-harsh the 880s. They are really special phones -- they have some magic in their air and I love it, but they're thin in the upper-bass and low-mids and certain songs just make me wince. I have to turn down the volume or take them off. Stuff like light jazz and classical are really great (Diana Krall sounds amazing with this setup), but with lots of other stuff they grate on me and and/or sound thin. To try to "tame" them, I got some RCA tubes -- a greyglass VT-231 and a 6AS7. A somewhat subtle change overall, but in the right direction.

I couldn't get the 650s off my mind, so I'm auditioning them now to find out if they give me what I'm looking for.

Well, out of the box they're pretty much the opposite of the 880s. There's an expensive feel and sound to them (and there should be for the price). Even though they're tight on my head right now, I like the positive-feedback feel better than the 880s light, barely-touching-your-head feel.

I immediately noticed the nice, full, rich low end. I sat and listened for a while and found myself wanting to EQ in an upper mid and treble boost. Was this the "veil" I keep hearing about? The bass started to seem a little too full. The soundstage is nice, but no comparison to the wide-open airiness of the 880, which is really the 880s biggest strength. In comparison, the 650 seems closed in, pinched and a little muffled. That said, still wonderful sounding. Listening in iTunes, if I EQ in some upper mids and highs, they get right about where I want them, SS-wise. I have a lot of different sources though, so I don't want to have to rely on EQ'ing them. 

I have a Sylvania VT-231 tube on the way to try to brighten up my rig. The Mini-i isn't doing the 650s any favors either.

I've been busy reading the break-in threads and apparently what I'm experiencing is completely normal... and that after 100, 200, or 300 hours they'll be like a different set of phones; the bass will tighten and un-bloat, the treble will present itself and the phones will just open up. I'm willing to find out, so I guess I'm going to leave iTunes on in shuffle mode for a few more days.

You guys think I'm in for a nice surprise or a disappointment?

Sylvannia should add some tightness to the sound, failing which a silver plated cable tongue.gif
post #17294 of 37399
Thanks Lorspeaker, I hope so!

Krutsch- I know. It sounds a little nuts to me too, but since so many people say it, I have to respect it. So instead of just concluding that the 650s aren't what I'm looking for -- out of the box -- I'll do the break-in for a few days with continuous music and then make another evaluation.

I just read an article where they took measurements before and after 100 hours, and there aren't any real changes in frequency response. The main difference was in pad wear, which they say will affect the sound more than anything by making them more bassy.

I apologize if this is a tired subject for some of you. I'm chasing the holy grail of sound for my ears and I'm afraid its going to be Goldilocks syndrome: "These phones are too bright. These phones are too bassy..." For the reviewers that actually say there's a difference, the 600s sound like they may be what I'm looking for: not as sweet or flattering, but more natural, with less bass and a little more bite up top.
Edited by ccash - 5/3/14 at 11:56pm
post #17295 of 37399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post

Thanks Lorspeaker, I hope so!

Krutsch- I know. It sounds a little nuts to me too, but since so many people say it, I have to respect it. So instead of just concluding that the 650s aren't what I'm looking for -- out of the box -- I'll do the break-in for a few days with continuous music and then make another evaluation.

I just read an article where they took measurements before and after 100 hours, and there aren't any real changes in frequency response. The main difference was in pad wear, which they say will affect the sound more than anything by making them more bassy.

I apologize if this is a tired subject for some of you. I'm chasing the holy grail of sound for my ears and I'm afraid its going to be Goldilocks syndrome: "These phones are too bright. These phones are too bassy..." For the reviewers that actually say there's a difference, the 600s sound like they may be what I'm looking for: not as sweet or flattering, but more natural, with less bass and a little more bite up top.

For me personally I find the 650s a little to dark and bassy and the hd800s are sometimes missing that touch of warmth that I like. The hd600 has pretty much a perfect balance for me, a touch on the warm side but it's a very natural sound, closest sounding to my speaker setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread