Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1151

post #17251 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post
 


Headphonia made mention of the treble of the Valhalla:

 

"The Valhalla actually had a clearer sound with more sparkle in the low treble. It had a more solid state-like clarity and sparkle, but it’s not exactly dry sounding. It actually reminds me a lot of the sparkly treble in the Grace m902 amplifier section, which is a chip-based solid state headphone amp (I know, it’s totally unrelated, chip amps and tube amps). But I definitely won’t describe the Valhalla as having the traditional “tubey” sound. The Lyr has a thick lower mid-upper bass area, which progresses to a fairly lean treble section." 

 

There was something similar in the 6moons review.  I think everything that you said is spot on theory wise and was very helpful.  I made mention of the treble characteristics as it is what swayed me in the direction of the Valhalla (650 and Valhalla sitting in a tree m-a-t-i-n-g).  I hope I made the right choice and I will get mine tomorrow and see for myself.  I appreciate the time you took to answer my question and it reinforced some things I knew and added perspective.

 

Sure, I'm glad you are getting one, particularly given the (IIRC) return policy... can't be disappointed either way. If by "sparkle" they mean extension, clarity, presence of treble detail, then we're fully in sync. That and midrange naturalness are what first struck me. I switched to the Fireflies and felt they were a bit foggy and relatively coarse.  

 

FWIW, I feel both thanked and dismissed a bit ;-) because I'm usually as good as the reviews if I give it the time (was a reviewer at times myself), and I have listened to that combo a long time. The points I made were not from "theory" but an attempt to communicate in shorthand what I heard in a way that others might get a quick feel for. I have amps that switch from ultralinear to triode and find similar changes, so I relate to that.  And I've had OTL amps (SA-4). So I appreciate the virtues but the slight limitations depending on pairing.  Hope you enjoy!  


Edited by Stoney - 5/2/14 at 9:49am
post #17252 of 23922

 

i found one of these snake oils in a thrift shop.... "carbon diatonic" , paid 5bucks for it...

wakes up my tubes to diatonic levels too. :P

Deoxit is fine.

post #17253 of 23922
I use Auto Glym paint renovator ( white bottle) Deodexes, cleans and polishes almost evertyhing. Its very gentle at the same time so no damage to surfaces. Its cheap as well:)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
post #17254 of 23922

No HD650's today. Guess I gotta wait until next Monday or Tuesday -__-

post #17255 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

 

 

ANy love for the Darkvoice336SE...? All of my cans work with this lush/bodacious amp, cept the HE6. 

Definitely... Great sounding amps.  I have its bigger brother 337 which is (basically)  two of them arranged dual mono in one chassis.

post #17256 of 23922
In case anyone is interested in cable upgrades I posted a short write-up of a relatively cheap option (particularly for us Europeans). You can find it here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661441/forza-audioworks-the-appreciation-thread/320_20#post_10510127
post #17257 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

In case anyone is interested in cable upgrades I posted a short write-up of a relatively cheap option (particularly for us Europeans). You can find it here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661441/forza-audioworks-the-appreciation-thread/320_20#post_10510127

 

Cool.

 

Just noticed your ODAC is in the same colour and shape as your O2. But I have seen lots of ODACs in a much smaller silver case, which does not stack well with the O2. Not sure what happened? Is there a different version of ODAC sold in EU?

post #17258 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
 

 

Sure, I'm glad you are getting one, particularly given the (IIRC) return policy... can't be disappointed either way. If by "sparkle" they mean extension, clarity, presence of treble detail, then we're fully in sync. That and midrange naturalness are what first struck me. I switched to the Fireflies and felt they were a bit foggy and relatively coarse.  

 

FWIW, I feel both thanked and dismissed a bit ;-) because I'm usually as good as the reviews if I give it the time (was a reviewer at times myself), and I have listened to that combo a long time. The points I made were not from "theory" but an attempt to communicate in shorthand what I heard in a way that others might get a quick feel for. I have amps that switch from ultralinear to triode and find similar changes, so I relate to that.  And I've had OTL amps (SA-4). So I appreciate the virtues but the slight limitations depending on pairing.  Hope you enjoy!  


I am sorry I made you feel dismissed.  I appreciated the time and thought you put into answering a strangers question.  Hopefully when I get mine I may be helpful to someone else.

post #17259 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

 

Cool.

 

Just noticed your ODAC is in the same colour and shape as your O2. But I have seen lots of ODACs in a much smaller silver case, which does not stack well with the O2. Not sure what happened? Is there a different version of ODAC sold in EU?

 

http://www.headnhifi.com/dac/odac-xl-version

post #17260 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

For those small 9 pins tubes 12au7 e80cc etc one of those magic erasers work reasonably well just push the pins in and out a half a dozens times I expect adding a little deoxit to the eraser would do an even better job of it.. I also use them for cleaning the stylus on my record player by lowering the needle on to the eraser gently.


I checked out the pick in your avatar and that carbon fiber on the amp and the headphone rack is slicker than slick.  I love it!

post #17261 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

 

http://www.headnhifi.com/dac/odac-xl-version

 

Cool, thanks a lot for the link.

 

My impression on ODAC comes from here http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/

So there are indeed different versions.

post #17262 of 23922

Finally i received the HD650 today, i have to say at first i wasnt overly impressed with them but after listening for quite a few hours im appreciating the sound more and more. They sound best with electronic music from what i have heard so far. They also seem to be excellent with death metal, the album Heartwork by Carcass sound tremendous on these things, although it is a well recorded album mind you.

 

Im still debating myself if an amp like the JDS O2 would be worth it plugged into the essence st or save a bit more and get the IfI Ican in the future, cant afford much more than that.

post #17263 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post

http://www.headnhifi.com/dac/odac-xl-version

^ this ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post

Cool, thanks a lot for the link.

My impression on ODAC comes from here http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/
So there are indeed different versions.

The O2 is open source, you could build it yourself. There are kits available for just that purpose. My pair were built by Walter at head'n'hifi. I have the ODAC XL paired with the O2 Desktop Version. Basically more connection options & mainly on the rear panel. The O2 has both RCA in's & out's.

Honestly, they sound fantastic!
post #17264 of 23922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

 

Navy guy eh, speaking of Navy these where one of the most oxidized tubes i have seen, hardly surprising though given their age. Note the markings on the box :normal_smile :

 

 

 

thanks for sharing used to see alot of those around the shop.  I was mostly radar and radio-nav, I think I still have an old Magnetron tube around here somewhere.  Thanks for the memories...

post #17265 of 23922

How much better are the HD650's than the HD558's?

 

I'm asking because I had the HD558's, but found them to be lacking in bass and synergy. After discussing this, some people have said that the HD558 are totally different than the HD650. I know this is exaggerating, but it makes me think that the HD650 has the bass lacking the HD558 had. I mean if it extends lower and fuller, then I think the HD650's might be what I'm looking for. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread