- 2,822 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Delaware
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 5/14/15 at 9:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 6/3/15 at 12:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on Yesterday at 11:39 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 5/13/15 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
At the time of the review, the Audioquest Nighthawk headphone was on sale at TTJV Audio’s website. Here is a link to Todd’s listing of the...
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1142
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:
- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500
Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.
Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).
Sounds like our opinions are vastly different in both sonic characteristics and comfort, which is completely fine, since that is what head-fi is all about. I don't find the HE-500 too uncomfortable, but I find the LCD-2 to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn! haha. The clamping force gives it a nice tight fit, but at the same time one that fits uncomfortably after a short duration of time.
I have owned the LCD-2 on 3 different occasions (rev.1 twice, and the rev. 2 once recently). As you can tell, I really wanted to like the LCD-2 and I was not a fan of the LCD-2 until I heard rev.2. I do agree that Rev.2 sounds better than Rev.1 in all aspects.
Aside from that, I have still never heard the LCD-2 have as wide and spacious of a soundstage as the HD650, and this is after hearing the LCD-2 on many many setups, the top being the GS-X Mk.2 at a recent meet. The imaging capabilities scale very very well with amp pairing, but it still sounds tunneled in a soundstage size comparison. While I also think the soundstage on the HE-500 is not as wide as the HD650, it certainly comes closer.
The voicing is what really has me convinced that the HD650 and HE-500 hold a stronger resemblance. Both the HD650 and the HE-500 sound like they encapsulate vocals in a maple syrup-like bubble before presenting them to the listener. While the LCD-2 is a warm headphone, voices are less colored, and more natural. Depending on the listener, preference can go either way.
No matter how you view the HD650, it's still different enough from any pair of headphones to warrant owning as part of any audiophile's collection. I plan to re-purchase them after I build another BH Crack (Thanks to the recent meet...)
Nostalgia is dangerous
This; or try and get the seller down to $400 :). Since you can get them for that price new and shipped from RDA.
Nah, I didn't see a pair listed on their website. Should I message someone here directly about it or something?
Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.
To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?
Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Edited by Estremo - 4/26/14 at 4:18am
Is the amp for stationary or portable use? When I say portable I mean room-to-room portable as these are the wrong headphones for anything more demanding.
Thanks for the welcome. I want most bang for the buck so I suppose stationary is the way to go. I will use these in the same spot almost all the time and if I would want to move to another room on some occasion I don't mind taking the amp with me.
Schiit Vali seems interesting and there's nothing not to like about the price.
Hmmm, he's dangerously low on Sennheiser items. Odd, maybe he's getting out of the Sennheiser dealer drama? I'd still message him considering he tries to sell them new for the price you are considering at used...
On a lighter note, if I can ever afford my dream LCD-XCs, I'll be able to get them from Razordog...
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 10 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 57 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 58 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs Element 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the Brainwavz Jive earphones - Tuned to preform like a... 4 minutes ago
- › Luxury & Precision L5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player with... 4 minutes ago
- › $399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip 5 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 6 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Last buy .... old Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm ... any opinion ? 14 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3