- 2,822 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Delaware
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 4/21/15 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 3/2/15 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
At this point of time, iFi Audio shouldn’t need much introduction at all. The British company is the more budget oriented sister brand of the prestige Abbingdon Music Research and have made a name...
For the complete review click on the IMHO Tech Blog link.
So i bought the pistons 3 from Ibuygou.com a week ago. The unboxing experience was stellar just like the older version, I was slightly disappointed that the chocolate smell was not present. Oh...
Too lazy to write the full review yet LOL. Just posting this out first :)
This is my first audiophile grade headphone and I truly believe that this is a brilliant introduction to how awesome music can sound! I live is South Africa, a country that is renowned for...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1142
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:
- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500
Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.
Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).
Sounds like our opinions are vastly different in both sonic characteristics and comfort, which is completely fine, since that is what head-fi is all about. I don't find the HE-500 too uncomfortable, but I find the LCD-2 to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn! haha. The clamping force gives it a nice tight fit, but at the same time one that fits uncomfortably after a short duration of time.
I have owned the LCD-2 on 3 different occasions (rev.1 twice, and the rev. 2 once recently). As you can tell, I really wanted to like the LCD-2 and I was not a fan of the LCD-2 until I heard rev.2. I do agree that Rev.2 sounds better than Rev.1 in all aspects.
Aside from that, I have still never heard the LCD-2 have as wide and spacious of a soundstage as the HD650, and this is after hearing the LCD-2 on many many setups, the top being the GS-X Mk.2 at a recent meet. The imaging capabilities scale very very well with amp pairing, but it still sounds tunneled in a soundstage size comparison. While I also think the soundstage on the HE-500 is not as wide as the HD650, it certainly comes closer.
The voicing is what really has me convinced that the HD650 and HE-500 hold a stronger resemblance. Both the HD650 and the HE-500 sound like they encapsulate vocals in a maple syrup-like bubble before presenting them to the listener. While the LCD-2 is a warm headphone, voices are less colored, and more natural. Depending on the listener, preference can go either way.
No matter how you view the HD650, it's still different enough from any pair of headphones to warrant owning as part of any audiophile's collection. I plan to re-purchase them after I build another BH Crack (Thanks to the recent meet...)
Nostalgia is dangerous
This; or try and get the seller down to $400 :). Since you can get them for that price new and shipped from RDA.
Nah, I didn't see a pair listed on their website. Should I message someone here directly about it or something?
Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.
To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?
Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Edited by Estremo - 4/26/14 at 4:18am
Is the amp for stationary or portable use? When I say portable I mean room-to-room portable as these are the wrong headphones for anything more demanding.
Thanks for the welcome. I want most bang for the buck so I suppose stationary is the way to go. I will use these in the same spot almost all the time and if I would want to move to another room on some occasion I don't mind taking the amp with me.
Schiit Vali seems interesting and there's nothing not to like about the price.
Hmmm, he's dangerously low on Sennheiser items. Odd, maybe he's getting out of the Sennheiser dealer drama? I'd still message him considering he tries to sell them new for the price you are considering at used...
On a lighter note, if I can ever afford my dream LCD-XCs, I'll be able to get them from Razordog...
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? 28 seconds ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 39 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 45 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 52 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 59 seconds ago
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition is The Best AK 240 Ever Made like... 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE425-V (Metallic Silver) 1 minute ago
- › iFi audio iPower - universal Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter 1 minute ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Tzar
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by MakeTotlDestroy
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by Sentinei
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by biggysmalls
- › TDK IE800 by Arvan
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2