- 2,822 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Delaware
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 4/20/15 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 4/21/15 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 3/2/15 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1142
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:
- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500
Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.
Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).
Sounds like our opinions are vastly different in both sonic characteristics and comfort, which is completely fine, since that is what head-fi is all about. I don't find the HE-500 too uncomfortable, but I find the LCD-2 to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn! haha. The clamping force gives it a nice tight fit, but at the same time one that fits uncomfortably after a short duration of time.
I have owned the LCD-2 on 3 different occasions (rev.1 twice, and the rev. 2 once recently). As you can tell, I really wanted to like the LCD-2 and I was not a fan of the LCD-2 until I heard rev.2. I do agree that Rev.2 sounds better than Rev.1 in all aspects.
Aside from that, I have still never heard the LCD-2 have as wide and spacious of a soundstage as the HD650, and this is after hearing the LCD-2 on many many setups, the top being the GS-X Mk.2 at a recent meet. The imaging capabilities scale very very well with amp pairing, but it still sounds tunneled in a soundstage size comparison. While I also think the soundstage on the HE-500 is not as wide as the HD650, it certainly comes closer.
The voicing is what really has me convinced that the HD650 and HE-500 hold a stronger resemblance. Both the HD650 and the HE-500 sound like they encapsulate vocals in a maple syrup-like bubble before presenting them to the listener. While the LCD-2 is a warm headphone, voices are less colored, and more natural. Depending on the listener, preference can go either way.
No matter how you view the HD650, it's still different enough from any pair of headphones to warrant owning as part of any audiophile's collection. I plan to re-purchase them after I build another BH Crack (Thanks to the recent meet...)
Nostalgia is dangerous
This; or try and get the seller down to $400 :). Since you can get them for that price new and shipped from RDA.
Nah, I didn't see a pair listed on their website. Should I message someone here directly about it or something?
Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.
To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?
Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Edited by Estremo - 4/26/14 at 4:18am
Is the amp for stationary or portable use? When I say portable I mean room-to-room portable as these are the wrong headphones for anything more demanding.
Thanks for the welcome. I want most bang for the buck so I suppose stationary is the way to go. I will use these in the same spot almost all the time and if I would want to move to another room on some occasion I don't mind taking the amp with me.
Schiit Vali seems interesting and there's nothing not to like about the price.
Hmmm, he's dangerously low on Sennheiser items. Odd, maybe he's getting out of the Sennheiser dealer drama? I'd still message him considering he tries to sell them new for the price you are considering at used...
On a lighter note, if I can ever afford my dream LCD-XCs, I'll be able to get them from Razordog...
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode 3 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 4 minutes ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 4 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Can someone tell me the difference between K7XX Massdrop Edition... 6 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2