- 3,103 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Delaware
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 4/4/16 at 6:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 5/21/16 at 11:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1142
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:
- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500
Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.
Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).
Sounds like our opinions are vastly different in both sonic characteristics and comfort, which is completely fine, since that is what head-fi is all about. I don't find the HE-500 too uncomfortable, but I find the LCD-2 to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn! haha. The clamping force gives it a nice tight fit, but at the same time one that fits uncomfortably after a short duration of time.
I have owned the LCD-2 on 3 different occasions (rev.1 twice, and the rev. 2 once recently). As you can tell, I really wanted to like the LCD-2 and I was not a fan of the LCD-2 until I heard rev.2. I do agree that Rev.2 sounds better than Rev.1 in all aspects.
Aside from that, I have still never heard the LCD-2 have as wide and spacious of a soundstage as the HD650, and this is after hearing the LCD-2 on many many setups, the top being the GS-X Mk.2 at a recent meet. The imaging capabilities scale very very well with amp pairing, but it still sounds tunneled in a soundstage size comparison. While I also think the soundstage on the HE-500 is not as wide as the HD650, it certainly comes closer.
The voicing is what really has me convinced that the HD650 and HE-500 hold a stronger resemblance. Both the HD650 and the HE-500 sound like they encapsulate vocals in a maple syrup-like bubble before presenting them to the listener. While the LCD-2 is a warm headphone, voices are less colored, and more natural. Depending on the listener, preference can go either way.
No matter how you view the HD650, it's still different enough from any pair of headphones to warrant owning as part of any audiophile's collection. I plan to re-purchase them after I build another BH Crack (Thanks to the recent meet...)
Nostalgia is dangerous
This; or try and get the seller down to $400 :). Since you can get them for that price new and shipped from RDA.
Nah, I didn't see a pair listed on their website. Should I message someone here directly about it or something?
Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.
To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?
Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Edited by Estremo - 4/26/14 at 4:18am
Is the amp for stationary or portable use? When I say portable I mean room-to-room portable as these are the wrong headphones for anything more demanding.
Thanks for the welcome. I want most bang for the buck so I suppose stationary is the way to go. I will use these in the same spot almost all the time and if I would want to move to another room on some occasion I don't mind taking the amp with me.
Schiit Vali seems interesting and there's nothing not to like about the price.
Hmmm, he's dangerously low on Sennheiser items. Odd, maybe he's getting out of the Sennheiser dealer drama? I'd still message him considering he tries to sell them new for the price you are considering at used...
On a lighter note, if I can ever afford my dream LCD-XCs, I'll be able to get them from Razordog...
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12 Review 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 minutes ago
- › Bug head emperor player - audiophile player from Japan 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...