Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1135

post #17011 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
 

 

Curious... Are you finding optimal HD650 tubes to be less than optimal with your RS1i ?  One of the problems I have always had with my Millet, it was voiced by its builder for the HD580, and it sounds very shouty and edgy in the upper mids with my RS1 and K701.  I have used other members HD650 voiced  amps with my brighter cans and had similar results with all of them.

 

 

Not entirely true.  You can look through the perf mesh earcup and see the reflective/metallic mesh of the HD650 baffle.  I do not know how to decipher the actual drivers though.  It would not take much for someone to transplant HD580/600 driver "lollipops" into the HD650 silver mesh baffle plate.  At that point its anyones best guess I think.

 

Hardly, Headbands have been known to crack/break on all of them (580/600/650).  While replacement parts can be ordered from senn, availability varies greatly.  In the case of the headband, they don't sell just the headband by itself.  You have to purchase the whole assembly (headband + "Y" yokes).  Thats the most expensive part on the bill of materials at ~$90 +S/H.

 

The small spring contacts in the earcups have a well documented history of intermittency.  For a while a few years ago Senn was offering replacement springs.  Never tried it myself, but knowing how thin the lead wires are on these cans... replacing that spring definitely looks like a nerve-racking repair.  When my 580 springs developed a contact failure, I just re-bent the coils back using a bamboo BBQ skewer.


Yes, Kramer.

 

I find the higher gain 12AX7 a beautiful match for my HD650....but not as good for the RS1i....I much prefer the 5751 Sylvania TM black plate for those.....the synergy is just much greater.

 

When I switch headphones, I just also swap tubes.....then both cans have fantastic synergy.  :smile: 


Edited by whirlwind - 4/20/14 at 5:41pm
post #17012 of 20017

does any of you guys have this stickers on the back of you headphones box? one says sennheiser.com.cn (china) with a hologram, as far as I know this are made in ireland, is the first time I see those 2 stickers, I went to another store to check if they had them and they didn't, do you guys think they where for the chinese market or something?

post #17013 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juandv9307 View Post
 

does any of you guys have this stickers on the back of you headphones box? one says sennheiser.com.cn (china) with a hologram, as far as I know this are made in ireland, is the first time I see those 2 stickers, I went to another store to check if they had them and they didn't, do you guys think they where for the chinese market or something?

 

Nope, mine only comes with one sticker stating the serial number. Product in different markets may have different boxes or labels though.

 

 All HD650s are made in Ireland.

post #17014 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldem View Post
 

Well, to be sure of the model, it needs to be openend, which can be tedious for some.

 

Oldest to newest, left to right

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

 

 

Agree. The other method is to check the serial number. I remember vaguely 650s with serial number above 70,000 or 80,000 are new models. 

 

Do the online stores still sell the old version? It would be a pain to send the headphones back considering i will receive them around two full weeks after i made the payment.

post #17015 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
 

 

 

Do the online stores still sell the old version? It would be a pain to send the headphones back considering i will receive them around two full weeks after i made the payment.

 

Senn started to sell new models 4 - 5 years ago. So I don't think you can find old models anymore, unless used.

 

I bought mine 5 months ago, and the serial number is above 170,000.

post #17016 of 20017

I bought my first pair in 2010 or '11 can't remember but they were the silver version also.

post #17017 of 20017

As a general rule of thumb: All post-2007 production HD650's are the silver/white/whatevercolour mesh drivers.

post #17018 of 20017
I have the newest drivers, and they sound good to me! smily_headphones1.gifbiggrin.gif
post #17019 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderking31 View Post

I have the newest drivers, and they sound good to me! smily_headphones1.gifbiggrin.gif

 

Generally they shouldn't sound any different than a pair of "well made" HD650's. From what I've been told, the "veil" was caused by the difficulty in maintaining quality assurance measures on the dark fabric. The white mesh was touted to be one which was easier to manage, resulting in a more consistent SQ across the production run.

 

However, I'd like to think that it's cheaper to skip the process of colouring the fabric from white to black. Mine's a second hand 650 and it works its highs quite well!


Edited by JacobLee89 - 4/21/14 at 6:19am
post #17020 of 20017
Regarding the senn "veil", and another way of looking at it too... Is i think headphones generally have gotten warmer and more bass heavy the past 7-8 years. Current grado "i" models are darker and overall less edgy than the non- i predecessors. The Q701 is warmer than the k701, which in turn was more bass prominant than the k501. Consumer- hyper marketed cans are also bass heavy to an extreme... Dre beats come to mind immediately. So i think to a certain extent its all relative to whats currently available on the market. With every new released bass heavy or upper midrange recessed can the senn veil further and further receedes into the past. Imho the hd650 veil still exists in my pair... Smooth, relaxed and a very soothing presentation.
Edited by kramer5150 - 4/21/14 at 7:56am
post #17021 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post

Generally they shouldn't sound any different than a pair of "well made" HD650's. From what I've been told, the "veil" was caused by the difficulty in maintaining quality assurance measures on the dark fabric. The white mesh was touted to be one which was easier to manage, resulting in a more consistent SQ across the production run.

However, I'd like to think that it's cheaper to skip the process of colouring the fabric from white to black. Mine's a second hand 650 and it works its highs quite well!
my hd650 has very nice treble extension, but my telefunken driver tubes also help make the treble extension better, and helps the treble frequencies sound much better, than with cheaper tubes, or a cheap SS amp imho
post #17022 of 20017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

Regarding the senn "veil", and another way of looking at it too... Is i think headphones generally have gotten warmer and more bass heavy the past 7-8 years. Current grado "i" models are darker and overall less edgy than the non- i predecessors. The Q701 is warmer than the k701, which in turn was more bass prominant than the k501. Consumer- hyper marketed cans are also bass heavy to an extreme... Dre beats come to mind immediately. So i think to a certain extent its all relative to whats currently available on the market. With every new released bass heavy or upper midrange recessed can the senn veil further and further receedes into the past. Imho the hd650 veil still exists in my pair... Smooth, relaxed and a very soothing presentation.

 

A lot of people give an explanation that other headphones around the time (Beyer, AKG, Grado, etc.) were all 'brighter' types of sound signatures, so the HD650 kind of brought a new and different sound to the table.  Even against the HD600, it's quite a large difference.  I mean, they both have similar sound signatures, but the more sterile/neutral sound of the HD600 is quite a bit different from the warm and flowing sound of the HD650.  At the same time, I believe the veil claim can be a bit overdramatized.  Highs are certainly there, but they aren't bright and shiny like Beyers or Grados.  I think for anyone that has a treble sensitivity, the HD650s and good SS amp or HD600s and a good tube amp is the way to go.

post #17023 of 20017

I feel certain there are more than a few negative reviews out there on what are generally well regarded headphones that are entirely due user inexperience.  Perhaps some of the veil dogma can be attributed to this. Running many of the flagship over-ear headphones out of a mobile phone fed with low rez mp3 is going to lead to a disappointing price vs performance experience .

post #17024 of 20017

I love the sound of the HD-650, but for some reason it always makes me want to go to sleep. Do you ever experience this?

When i'm using it for online gaming it does this too.

 

It must be due to the pads, the comfort and the slightly reduced treble.

 

This HD-650 somehow manages to sound good for me on almost all desktop amps.

The only time it didn't was when the amp was too warm sounding.

 

Right now i'm testing it with a Headroom Micro DAC (CS4398) to O2. I just replaced the stock op amps on the O2 with some LM4562s I got for $3 each. Sounds good so far.

I previously tried OPA2227 but didn't like that combo too much. Sounded too warm(!) with the HD-650 but perfect with the Q701. Seems impossible.

 

The Modi is also a nice cheap DAC for the HD-650. I don't use mine much but going to keep it around since it's so good. The Micro DAC is a bit better, but costs twice as much. I would say it's a bit more revealing and clearer.

 

BTW I think the Bravo V2 for $60 sounds great with the HD-650 but not much else I have. It would be a perfect backup amp for watching movies or gaming (with HD-650 only).

post #17025 of 20017
I wouldn't say they make me want to sleep but they're the only ones that will allow me to sleep. I've noticed they work better at low levels when compared to my other headphones. Although quiet they still maintain presence & weight. Or something like that.

From all I've read the Bottlehead Crack+Speedball is my Holy Grail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread