or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1120

post #16786 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

Dude, I have both of them.

 

After getting my HD650, I would have to say Bose makes shyt ....not that shiit. lol. The crappy OE2 sound worths at most $30.

 

I'm pretty sure you would be blown away after getting your hd650. It is quite bassy and much detailed. Way better than OE2, even without an amp after your xonar.  


Great to know you have both to compare. I know the senns are far better, but i have read they are picky with amps or sound a bit bass shy with the essence.

 

For the record, im more a speaker man but my current pair of speakers need to be a bit cranked up to sound good... with the neighbouring problem that has :biggrin:  and when switching to the bose as you well know, arent up to the task.

post #16787 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 


+1 on the cardas eutectic solder its a quality product and easy to use.  One meters worth off of ebay will be plenty for a Crack+Speedball.

 

Good to hear cardas eutectic solder is good. How about the solder that comes with the Crack tool kit? Is it too bad to use, because it has no rosin inside? Can I use a rosin block to pair with the tool kit solder (I remember my dad has some rosin blocks for soldering years ago)? Thanks.

post #16788 of 37370

I don't think the Crack kit comes with any solder.

post #16789 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
 


Great to know you have both to compare. I know the senns are far better, but i have read they are picky with amps or sound a bit bass shy with the essence.

 

For the record, im more a speaker man but my current pair of speakers need to be a bit cranked up to sound good... with the neighbouring problem that has :biggrin:  and when switching to the bose as you well know, arent up to the task.

OE2 is not for serious music listening. I now occasionally use it when out fishing - you know, when I do not care too much about the sound quality, and OE2 serves this purpose well...lol

 

If you have speakers, you would have some amp. Just hook up the hd650 with the amp's headphone outlet, and it surely sounds way better than oe2 - I tried it before.


Edited by cddc - 4/11/14 at 7:55pm
post #16790 of 37370

If you need something local, just get some 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack.  If you want to buy Cardas solder, you should buy from an authorized Cardas dealer to be sure you are actually getting Cardas solder and not some crap solder that someone repackaged and sold on eBay as Cardas solder.

post #16791 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboehle View Post
 

I don't think the Crack kit comes with any solder.

Really...surprised to hear the tool kit does not have it. I was reading some reviews on Crack last night, and one of them possibly mentioned the kit comes with some basic solder with no rosin inside.

 

Thanks a lot for the confirmation.

post #16792 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboehle View Post
 

If you need something local, just get some 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack.  If you want to buy Cardas solder, you should buy from an authorized Cardas dealer to be sure you are actually getting Cardas solder and not some crap solder that someone repackaged and sold on eBay as Cardas solder.

Good idea, thanks a lot.

post #16793 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

OE2 is not for serious music listening. I now occasionally use it when out fishing - you know, when I do not care too much about the sound quality, and OE2 serves this purpose well...lol

 

If you have speakers, you would have some amp. Just hock up the hd650 with the amp's headphone outlet, and it surely sounds way better than oe2 - I tried it before.


The essence st has a built in headphone amp so i would run the hd650 with it. I have read the amp is comparable to one of the cheaper fiio amps.

 

The oe2 are just okey sounding, at least they are very comfortable (although my ears get warm with them!)

post #16794 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post
 

Any reason to try hd650? I had hd600...thought about upgrading, needed better soundstage...more bass. Went with jvc dx-1000. Got all I wanted. Is there anything I missed passing hd650

?

 

mainly I've been thinkin about that because hd650 drivers are not that expensive. I could make some decent headphones out of those. But if those are not that much more better than hd600 i'll pass. Hd600 was an excellent headphone but compared to dx1000... It was like comparing to corolla to a ferrari. Not a fair  deal.

 

Not worth it to get the HD650 when you've got a DX1000. I own a DX1000 as well and I've heard the HD650 + 600. The HD650 is on a similar level of overall performance to the 600 but has a darker tonal balance - the difference for me was not massive overall, but noticeable especially treble wise. The DX1000 shares some sound signature similarities with the HD650 overall, they'd be too similar for me to have both, all while I feel the DX1000 betters the 650 in certain areas.


Edited by UNIFi - 4/11/14 at 8:08pm
post #16795 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachoo5 View Post

I really want to buy the crack + speedball but know for a fact that I am horrendous at soldering. Is there really no way I can buy one prebuilt? No one os offering that service out there? I never see used ones being sold (I am always looking for them).

 

Why do you think you are horrendous at soldering?  Watch a few YouTube videos and you should get the hang of it real easy.  Tyll even made a video specifically about building the Crack that should help immensely: http://youtu.be/s5rWCEux_BI.  Seriously, the instructions provided with the kit are amazing and walk you through it step-by-step with wonderful pics.  And if you do run into any troubles, the guys over at the Bottlehead Forums are amazing and you usually can get help there within an hour or two.  And the feeling when you finally get it working and know that you built it makes it sound that much better.  :)

post #16796 of 37370

I wish Tyle reviewed the Graham Slee Solo amps. They're the best with the hd650 imo. It is bout $1200 for the Ultra-Linear Diamond but I love the sound. It's like somewhere between solid state-sound and tube sound.

post #16797 of 37370
I wanna go with the silver Dragon v3 cable, as I own the blue Dragon v3, but want to know if I'm going to get better sound with a up-occ silver, than with a copper up-occ....Thanx!
post #16798 of 37370

I've been into the speaker world recently and haven't put my headphones on in awhile, but I have to tell you, I have a fair amount of higher priced headphones than the hd650, but this is by far my most enjoyable headphone.  For the price you may pay for these headphones, an amp, a new cable, and a nice glass of scotch, it is far cheaper and better sounding than what you will find chasing the speaker world.  The sound color of these headphones is amazing; so rich, so full.  I love 'em.  There are more neutral headphones out there, but these are soooo enjoyable!

 

It's been tooooooo long. I apologize for the wait Senns.

post #16799 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderking31 View Post

I wanna go with the silver Dragon v3 cable, as I own the blue Dragon v3, but want to know if I'm going to get better sound with a up-occ silver, than with a copper up-occ....Thanx!

 

Your money would be much better spent if you put that towards a better pair of headphones.

post #16800 of 37370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboehle View Post
 

 

Why do you think you are horrendous at soldering?  Watch a few YouTube videos and you should get the hang of it real easy.  Tyll even made a video specifically about building the Crack that should help immensely: http://youtu.be/s5rWCEux_BI.  Seriously, the instructions provided with the kit are amazing and walk you through it step-by-step with wonderful pics.  And if you do run into any troubles, the guys over at the Bottlehead Forums are amazing and you usually can get help there within an hour or two.  And the feeling when you finally get it working and know that you built it makes it sound that much better.  :)

 

Well, thank you for this post. Maybe I will give it a try. My experience is from high school trying to solder a chip onto an old portable of mine and I screwed it to the high heavens. However, I didn't have any instructions to go by...I was just winging it. Maybe with instruction and video I can do it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread