Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1102

post #16516 of 20128
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

 

Without an adequate amp the money you spent on the HD650 is wasted because you will never hear what they are truly capable of.

 

 

That's not entirely true. 

 

Even though I listen with my North Star DAC and GS-1 amp, the O2 transportable sounds and measures as good anything mentioned here and it's really cheap to build or buy. 

 

Another 650s portable worth mentioning is the Portaphile V2 Maxxed, which is my favorite power failure amp.  Here's a pic I took by flashlight during one of the NY blackouts.... (the blue cable is acting as the FM antenna, pulling in a station from 42mi away)

 

IMG_4678 1024.jpg

 

the Portaphile V2 Maxxed is half the size of the O2, runs off a single 9V battery and only lacks the very last bit of resolution of the O2.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abablitz View Post
 

So should I spend more on a better DAC than an amp?

 

Before you spend any more money, you might want to pick up a cheap O DAC and O2 amp as a basis of comparison. 

 

Once you hear this level of resolution, it will be hard to settle for less.

post #16517 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by abablitz View Post
 

So the modi really isn't that bad?

It isn't bad at all.  Just if you have both the Modi and the Vali and you want to upgrade, I think the Vali is a better amp than the Modi is a DAC.  The Vali improves with better sources, while the Modi will hold back a better amp.  I say this having owned the two as well as other DACs and other amps, including a Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1.

 

Now if you are seduced by the nearly endless customizations you can do to the Crack, that is a whole other issue and possible addiction :)

post #16518 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
 

 

Before you spend any more money, you might want to pick up a cheap O DAC and O2 amp as a basis of comparison. 

 

Once you hear this level of resolution, it will be hard to settle for less.

He already has a Modi and Vali, which are basically equivalent if not better, particularly with the HD650 in my experience.

post #16519 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

He already has a Modi and Vali, which are basically equivalent if not better, particularly with the HD650 in my experience.

 

I've never seen the measurements for the Modi and Vali.  Can you point me to a link where I can compare them to the O2 stuff?

post #16520 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

 

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

 

Lyr should be a good amp. Just read the comments on Amazon, and saw some nice reviews about it. It seems you'll also need a DAC (e.g. Modi) to pair with it. But this combo might exceed my budget.

 

Compared to EF2A, do you think Modi & Magni would be a better option to start with?  


Absolutely it would or maybe a Vali instead of the Magni. That is more of a personal decision as some people like tube sound (me for example) and others prefer solid-state, but either combo will definitely get you started in the right direction. I have the Modi dac as well and IMO it is a very under-rated dac.

post #16521 of 20128

I found some specs on the Schitt site, see for yourself:

 

 

                                                    Vali                                              O2

 

Frequency Response:            0.2db  (20Hz-20Khz)               +/-0.01 dB (20Hz-20Khz)

THD:                                      <0.4%                                     0.0016%

IMD:                                       <0.45%                                   0.001%

SNR:                                       >-93db                                   -105 dB                      

Crosstalk:                              >-70dB                                    -65 dB

Output Impedance:               6.5 ohms                                  0.54 ohms           (0 is best)

post #16522 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
 

I found some specs on the Schitt site, see for yourself:

 

 

                                                    Vali                                              O2

 

Frequency Response:            0.2db  (20Hz-20Khz)               +/-0.01 dB (20Hz-20Khz)

THD:                                      <0.4%                                     0.0016%

IMD:                                       <0.45%                                   0.001%

SNR:                                       >-93db                                   -105 dB                      

Crosstalk:                              >-70dB                                    -65 dB

Output Impedance:               6.5 ohms                                  0.54 ohms           (0 is best)

See what for myself?  The Vali is a tube amp, of course it won't measure as well as the O2.  I still think it sounds better with high impedance headphones like the HD650 and HD800 than the O2 by a considerable margin.  Don't get me wrong, I like the O2 - I built several of them and think they are a tremendous value, especially if you build one yourself, but I don't like it as much as the Vali with the HD650.  

post #16523 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

See what for myself?  The Vali is a tube amp, of course it won't measure as well as the O2.  I still think it sounds better with high impedance headphones like the HD650 and HD800 than the O2 by a considerable margin.  Don't get me wrong, I like the O2 - I built several of them and think they are a tremendous value, especially if you build one yourself, but I don't like it as much as the Vali with the HD650.  

 

I don't have a Vali but I do have a tube based Woo 3/preamp, and as much as I like the Woo 3 with my 650s, it doesn't have the resolution or detail of the O2. 

 

Once you hear what you're missing it's hard to go back.....

 

Never the less, I still use my Woo3.  Mostly as a pre-amp for speakers but every so often for headphones.  As long as I don't do a comparison with my GS-1 or O2, I don't notice the lower resolution.

post #16524 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
 

I found some specs on the Schitt site, see for yourself:

 

 

                                                    Vali                                              O2

 

Frequency Response:            0.2db  (20Hz-20Khz)               +/-0.01 dB (20Hz-20Khz)

THD:                                      <0.4%                                     0.0016%

IMD:                                       <0.45%                                   0.001%

SNR:                                       >-93db                                   -105 dB                      

Crosstalk:                              >-70dB                                    -65 dB

Output Impedance:               6.5 ohms                                  0.54 ohms           (0 is best)

 

You can't listen to a spec sheet. 

post #16525 of 20128

Great, thank you so much for your advice! 

 

Just spent the last couple of hours reading thru the last 100 pages of this extremely long thread, and I cannot agree with you more. M&M or M&V would be a good starting point for me. With dac and amp separated, I can easily upgrade them down the road.

post #16526 of 20128

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Thanks a lot!

post #16527 of 20128
Originally Posted by chee006 View Post
 

My HD 650 is also going to arrive in the next few days but my PC DAC and amp ain't. I too can't wait to get my hands on a good amp and DAC my portable one is decent but I am afraid it won't sound as good if I paired it with a tube amp. Do you guys have any amp/dac or seperate components for my HD 650? my budget is around $350

Sorry to bother you guys but I still need someone's recommendation on my amps and dac, also do you think this will sound good through my DX 50 -> PB 2?

 

Can someone please help me out here, not sure why no one is responding to my post  :(

post #16528 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chee006 View Post

I've never heard them, but iBasso makes pretty solid products so they should be good. You just have to listen to them and decided that for yourself!

As for your DAC/Amp recommendation I would honestly say the Schiit Modi/Vali stack would be the only real option for under $350 unless you have all the DIY kit for building a Bottlehead Crack and getting a Behringer UCA202 DAC.
post #16529 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chee006 View Post
 

 

With a limited budget you will get more bang for your buck buying used so suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds ebay etc.

post #16530 of 20128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformatron View Post


I've never heard them, but iBasso makes pretty solid products so they should be good. You just have to listen to them and decided that for yourself!

As for your DAC/Amp recommendation I would honestly say the Schiit Modi/Vali stack would be the only real option for under $350 unless you have all the DIY kit for building a Bottlehead Crack and getting a Behringer UCA202 DAC.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

With a limited budget you will get more bang for your buck buying used so suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds ebay etc.

 In that case I'll increase my budget to $600 however I have some DAC and AMP in mind.

 

First off, my guy told me to just upgrade the tube of my Bravo Ocean and he says it would increase the sound quality significantly, he said the stock tube can already surpass the quality of my PB 2. For my DAC I use a Go Vibe cheap DAC which is adequate if you never own a DAC before however I really wan to upgrade it as it's my weakest component of my PC rig.

 

For DAC I had the Aune T1 or X1 in mind which I heard it's quite good and also somewhat cheap, however I am planing to up that later to a matrix-i DAC and for my AMP after I up the tube I can lastly go from that to a La Figaro 339 Dark Voice 2013 wich looks great and sounds great from what the reviewers said.

 

I would still like to see more suggestion bear in mind my budget is'nt fixed and I can go higher as long as I am happy with the item and think it has good value.

 

Thank You.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread