or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1088

post #16306 of 36845

I would say watch the video and decide if you could follow the advice and do the same, then decide. Its genuinely not that hard! The instructions are very easy to follow and very step by step. I would most probably go as far to say that a first timer might be less likely to make a mistake than someone who has a little more experience, simply because you are more likely to read each step over a few times and be more thorough in checking connections and less inclined to rush though the build.

 

It is also very satisfying to listen to something so good  that you have put together yourself.

 

 


Edited by JamieMcC - 3/14/14 at 10:24am
post #16307 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphen606 View Post
 

 

I used to work for an electronics company that specialized in LED lighting products..  I was in engineering and frequently had to hand solder and hack job prototype boards together. We did have a reflow setup and a fairly large dip soldering unit..  But more often then not on new product prototypes we had to get in there.  I'd agree that SOT and DPAK are doable yes. Those were some of the more common packages we were using. We didn't do crazy small stuff that you'll see in consumer electronics these days.

 

yeah some of these new packages are just uncomfortably small.  must really put strain on the pcb fabs to keep their tolerances tight

post #16308 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

Is the Crack a build that I could tackle on my own if I have next to zero DIY experience, or would it be better to have somebody build it for me? I'm starting to get tempted by the nearly universal praise and the reasonable price of the amp.

 

Yes. Just my .02- I had zero soldering experience before my first build and I never owned a multimeter. I practiced on a couple of spare wires I had laying around just to see how the solder behaved. The directions are very clear and concise, as long as you pay attention and take your time it's hard to screw up. I only measured half of the connections with the multimeter because I became impatient. So I just turned it on and the tubes glowed and I didn't smell smoke. Maybe foolish, but it sounded amazing, so it worked out for me. Never had any real issues except for bad tubes.

 

Edit: Happy 1,000 post. Yay!


Edited by dxanex - 3/14/14 at 10:53am
post #16309 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxanex View Post
 

 

Yes. Just my .02- I had zero soldering experience before my first build and I never owned a multimeter. I practiced on a couple of spare wires I had laying around just to see how the solder behaved. The directions are very clear and concise, as long as you pay attention and take your time it's hard to screw up. I only measured half of the connections with the multimeter because I became impatient. So I just turned it on and the tubes glowed and I didn't smell smoke. Maybe foolish, but it sounded amazing, so it worked out for me. Never had any real issues except for bad tubes.

 

Edit: Happy 1,000 post. Yay!

 

:beerchug:...nice.

post #16310 of 36845

for new builders, don't skimp out on the resistance checks, unless you like to troubleshoot problems you may have created from being lazy/ impatient.  It took a month+ for it to arrive, you can't wait 5 more minutes of testing?  

 

Just my 2 cents ;D

post #16311 of 36845

I just bought HD650 + Magni/Modi. It's pretty good, with much bass, but I didn't get the "wow"-feeling. The bass is a bit sloppy, but it might be the old printer USB A to B cable.


Edited by Berg - 3/14/14 at 4:36pm
post #16312 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post

I just bought HD650 + Magni/Modi. It's pretty good, with much bass, but you don't get the "wow"-feeling.
That's good news. Any headphone that instantly gives the 'wow' feeling usually grows old fast! Just relax and enjoy the hd650 and a moment will come that changes the way you listen to music forever.
post #16313 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post

I just bought HD650 + Magni/Modi. It's pretty good, with much bass, but I didn't get the "wow"-feeling. The bass is a bit sloppy, but it might be the old printer USB A to B cable.

It's not known for having tight clean bass, but it does have more bass than sennheisers other offerings so I'm ok with it
post #16314 of 36845

I gotta be honest. The HD650 off a VMODA Verza gave me "wow". Not like the novelty "wow" but more like a "oh wow, this is beautiful". 

 

I'm an M100 owner right now, but the HD650 are looking to be my "other" pair. 

post #16315 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I gotta be honest. The HD650 off a VMODA Verza gave me "wow". Not like the novelty "wow" but more like a "oh wow, this is beautiful". 

I'm an M100 owner right now, but the HD650 are looking to be my "other" pair. 
Great combo! That's what I use.

Edit: No Verza for me though
post #16316 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

I gotta be honest. The HD650 off a VMODA Verza gave me "wow". Not like the novelty "wow" but more like a "oh wow, this is beautiful". 

 

I'm an M100 owner right now, but the HD650 are looking to be my "other" pair. 

HD650 are a "feels like relaxing and enjoying music" pair of can for me. They fit that mood perfectly. The sound is so gentle and the bass response's so smooth, I love it.

post #16317 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

HD650 are a "feels like relaxing and enjoying music" pair of can for me. They fit that mood perfectly. The sound is so gentle and the bass response's so smooth, I love it.

+1

post #16318 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

HD650 are a "feels like relaxing and enjoying music" pair of can for me. They fit that mood perfectly. The sound is so gentle and the bass response's so smooth, I love it.

 

Is there another mood? I mean, aside from "monitoring because I'm actually creating/mastering/mixing music". 

post #16319 of 36845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Is there another mood? I mean, aside from "monitoring because I'm actually creating/mastering/mixing music". 

Yeah, there's the "gotta get schiit done for tomorrow morning because I procastinated way too much" , which with some fast-paced music and a pair of DT880, did the trick for me with my midterm exams.


Edited by Rem0o - 3/15/14 at 8:42pm
post #16320 of 36845

Just reporting back into my experiences with the HD650.

 

I've been in a slight upgradtitus mood quite recently, resulting in an O2 with a new board attached on top of it, and all those magical technojazz I still don't quite understand (but it came in a kit so I had to try it out!)

 

For a while I was wondering how I can pursue better performance out of my headphones. That is until I managed to switch my brain from "listening" into "enjoying" the music. Then the symptoms of upgradtitus slowly dissipated.

 

I'd like to think that the HD650 certainly does do wonders with the right amp, but it certainly isn't too picky about them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread