Got a 3.5mm cable for these and they really don't sound too bad coming straight out of my Galaxy S4, maybe slightly bass light but still nice sounding.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650 low impedance Last post on 12/7/14 at 7:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 or K7xx Last post on 12/14/14 at 8:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparing quality headphones – not easy Last post on 12/10/14 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 selling for less than HD 600 on amazon Last post on 12/11/14 at 5:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Legit HD650's? Last post on 12/9/14 at 3:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
My comprehensive review of the Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones BURN-IN TIME - Took about 3-4 days to burn in so maybe 12 or so hours for me Upon receiving these as a gift for my birthday (so I...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music and sound equipment but I...
Brace yourself... Pardon any grammatical errors please as this is one of my longer reviews. Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1073
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My long-term plan is a pair of high-end orthos (Audeze LCD3), and a Ray Samuels Dark Star. But for now, the budget is much smaller. I have already purchased an ALO Audio Island. My budget for cans is $500 max. I'm considering the HD-650. What are your thoughts on the Island's ability to drive the HD-650? Or, if you have another recommendation for my $500? I'm a headphone virgin. My musical taste run the gamut, from Metallica to Mozart to Miles Davis to Alison Krauss, and everything in between. Thanks, Matt.
Hi Jeff - the hd650's are very nice all-arounders as long as you're not looking for the last word in treble sparkle. If you can conclude anything from the >1,000 pages of this thread (and the even longer predecessor hd650 thread), it is that a whole lot of us really enjoy these phones and continue enjoying them regularly even after investing in costlier flagships.
One word of caution in response to your post - I would research very carefully before choosing to invest your funds in a rsa dark star. You can purchase the boards and build a very similar amp for a few hundred dollars (see http://www.head-fi.org/t/654371/eddie-current-diy-amplifier-monolith ), and many of the electrical engineers on these boards seem to agree that the dark star design just isn't that great to begin with (one, for example, describing it as: "Thousands of dollars for a gainclone in a fancy box with dodgy anodizing"). There are a lot of great flagship amps out there. My sense, for whatever its worth, is that this just isn't one of them.
I am a newbie, both in this forum as in the world of audio, at least considering the terminology and experience.
I recently discovered my love for the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650. I do hear a difference between them, especially regarding the treble, as the 600 is a little harsher (or more detailed? i am not sure). But some songs acutally sound pretty much the same to me on both headphones, so it is not a huge difference to me.
That also makes it extremely hard to decide which of these two I'm gonna keep. I like both a lot, the 650 seems to be a little more relaxing, which can be good at times, but maybe bad too when you like it fresh.
For now I am using the fiio e17 as dac+amp, cause I first wanted to find a nice headphone and adjust the setup accordingly afterwards. I plan to build the Bottlehead Crack, but it will take some time, I am a total beginner in that area. So I will have to make my decision with the e17.
Which of these two would you say scales better with a better amp, especially with the Crack?
Without reading a thousand plus pages can someone expand on or deny that the "new" 650 is indeed an UPGRADE to the 600, instead of simply being DIFFERENT from the 600 as it was previously?
From what I understand they were sufficiently different before to suit different tastes, but the NEW 650 apparently does everything the 600 does but better.
Compare the FR graphs below and pick your poison. hd650's have a little bit of mid-bass bloat (which makes them sound fuller but can also obscure details), hd600's have a mild treble peak around 2.5khz which *can* make them sound more clear. On the downside, there are a lot of instruments (e.g. violin, piano, trumpet, etc.) that play fundamental frequencies > 2.5khz - so the hd600's will actually make some treble notes (not just overtones) sound louder than they are on the recording. For me, that's a big strike against them, and I prefer hd650's to 600's (when I'm not listening to my hd800's). Oh and the paint job on the hd600's is fugly!
Approximately how many hours to burn these phones in....or is there any burn in on these at all.
I know many people don't believe there is such a thing...but those that do ....how long.
Thanks for any help.
And if it has been playing since 2007, the veil might be loosened as well
Of the headphones that I own, the HD650s benefited most from burn-in. For me, the big difference become apparent from about 80 hours onwards. What is often not said is that good amplification is important. Coming out of the M-DAC headphone socket, the HD650s have a closed-in quality. Through Gungnir/Lyr, it's a different beast. Forgiving as far as recordings are concerned - yes... but they reward decent amplification. This is good news, really. They sound good with what you have and really award upgrades. IMO
Edited by Amictus - 2/27/14 at 6:16am
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 seconds ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 46 seconds ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 1 minute ago
- › UE 500 Mini-Review 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-400 3 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 4 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 7 minutes ago
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by bkyoung
- › Superlux HD-631 by Sharingan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)