Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1073

post #16081 of 24735

Hello everyone,

 

I am a newbie, both in this forum as in the world of audio, at least considering the terminology and experience.

 

I recently discovered my love for the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650. I do hear a difference between them, especially regarding the treble, as the 600 is a little harsher (or more detailed? i am not sure). But some songs acutally sound pretty much the same to me on both headphones, so it is not a huge difference to me.

That also makes it extremely hard to decide which of these two I'm gonna keep. I like both a lot, the 650 seems to be a little more relaxing, which can be good at times, but maybe bad too when you like it fresh.

 

For now I am using the fiio e17 as dac+amp, cause I first wanted to find a nice headphone and adjust the setup accordingly afterwards. I plan to build the Bottlehead Crack, but it will take some time, I am a total beginner in that area. So I will have to make my decision with the e17.

 

Which of these two would you say scales better with a better amp, especially with the Crack?

post #16082 of 24735

Both the 600 and 650 scale well with better amps and dacs. So it would be about the same. Remember this is the 650 appreciation thread. :wink:

post #16083 of 24735

Without reading a thousand plus pages can someone expand on or deny that the "new" 650 is indeed an UPGRADE to the 600, instead of simply being DIFFERENT from the 600 as it was previously? 

 

From what I understand they were sufficiently different before to suit different tastes, but the NEW 650 apparently does everything the 600 does but better. 

post #16084 of 24735
The same hd650/hd600 debate pops up from time to time, and there's no right answer.

Compare the FR graphs below and pick your poison. hd650's have a little bit of mid-bass bloat (which makes them sound fuller but can also obscure details), hd600's have a mild treble peak around 2.5khz which *can* make them sound more clear. On the downside, there are a lot of instruments (e.g. violin, piano, trumpet, etc.) that play fundamental frequencies > 2.5khz - so the hd600's will actually make some treble notes (not just overtones) sound louder than they are on the recording. For me, that's a big strike against them, and I prefer hd650's to 600's (when I'm not listening to my hd800's). Oh and the paint job on the hd600's is fugly!

bf7a2b4c_graphCompare.png
post #16085 of 24735

Thank you skeptic. Exactly what I was looking for. 

post #16086 of 24735

Happy to help!

post #16087 of 24735

Approximately how many hours to burn these phones in....or is there any burn in on these at all.

 

I know many people don't believe there is such a thing...but those that do ....how long.

 

Thanks for any help.

post #16088 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Approximately how many hours to burn these phones in....or is there any burn in on these at all.

I know many people don't believe there is such a thing...but those that do ....how long.

Thanks for any help.
Well atleast after 100hours there might be some change in sound. That is atleast what my ears experienced smily_headphones1.gif
post #16089 of 24735

Around 100-150 is good. 

post #16090 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Around 100-150 is good. 

And if it has been playing since 2007, the veil might be loosened as well ;)

post #16091 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post
 

And if it has been playing since 2007, the veil might be loosened as well ;)

 

There is a veil. :blink:

post #16092 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Around 100-150 is good. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post


Well atleast after 100hours there might be some change in sound. That is atleast what my ears experienced smily_headphones1.gif

Of the headphones that I own, the HD650s benefited most from burn-in. For me, the big difference become apparent from about 80 hours onwards. What is often not said is that good amplification is important. Coming out of the M-DAC headphone socket, the HD650s have a closed-in quality. Through Gungnir/Lyr, it's a different beast. Forgiving as far as recordings are concerned - yes... but they reward decent amplification. This is good news, really. They sound good with what you have and really award upgrades. IMO


Edited by Amictus - 2/27/14 at 6:16am
post #16093 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

There is a veil. :blink:

I'm referring to the old drivers with the black silk screen. Apparently because it was difficult to achieve consistency with the fabric's tension, they updated it with a metal mesh in 2007. The headphones pre-2007 that were made slightly off the quality control mark may or may not be those that made the "Sennheiser veil" myth.

 

However, some have said that it was just a colour change, because white fabric was cheaper to source. Maybe whatever material it was, just had better properties than of the black silk. Hard to say unless I get to see the updated drivers myself.

 

Hence is why I mentioned the "burn-in" time: if it has been playing since 2007, then most likely the veil has loosened by a margin.

 

Then again we could be talking about the mythical flying pig, and the Bermuda triangle teleporting planes around.

post #16094 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post
 

I'm referring to the old drivers with the black silk screen. Apparently because it was difficult to achieve consistency with the fabric's tension, they updated it with a metal mesh in 2007. The headphones pre-2007 that were made slightly off the quality control mark may or may not be those that made the "Sennheiser veil" myth.

 

However, some have said that it was just a colour change, because white fabric was cheaper to source. Maybe whatever material it was, just had better properties than of the black silk. Hard to say unless I get to see the updated drivers myself.

 

Hence is why I mentioned the "burn-in" time: if it has been playing since 2007, then most likely the veil has loosened by a margin.

 

Then again we could be talking about the mythical flying pig, and the Bermuda triangle teleporting planes around.

 

You're missing my dry sense of humor, that is often lost through typing instead of speaking accompanied by my hilarioius facial expressions. :D

post #16095 of 24735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

You're missing my dry sense of humor, that is often lost through typing instead of speaking accompanied by my hilarioius facial expressions. :D

 

Sorry, I should have known those pigs were flying behind our backs!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread