Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1066

post #15976 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

The HP8 mk2 was on my shopping list also, but I decided to go with the Crack which was less than half the cost of the standard HP8 MK2 even with shipping to the uk. Add the Jenson cap upgrade to the HP8 and it starts to mount up quickly. I would be very interested to compare the two.

 

I am very interested to know how the HP8s are in compare to the Crack. I've just heard good things about them as same as the Crack. 

post #15977 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

The Pan Am beats the Crack for the HD650s!?

The WA2 is magic for the T1 (as the Crack is for the HD650) but doesn't pair well with HD650. Actually the WA2 is too warm for the HD650s. 

That's was I heard. Have not heard a comparison myself.

post #15978 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

The HP8 mk2 was on my shopping list also, but I decided to go with the Crack which was less than half the cost of the standard HP8 MK2 even with shipping to the uk. Add the Jenson cap upgrade to the HP8 and it starts to mount up quickly. I would be very interested to compare the two.

You make a good selling point for the Crack. Maybe I will think over before I spend my money.

post #15979 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary1 View Post
 

That's was I heard. Have not heard a comparison myself.

 

I really liked the Pan Am for the HD700, more than the Crack.  

WA7 > Pan Am > BHC

post #15980 of 18559

Finally got this headphone, at first I was hesitant, in photos it looked uglier than sin but somehow in person it seems much nicer.

 

I was loving my Beyerdynamic DT990s 250ohm Pros until I accidentally ruined a driver while performing cosmetic and cable modifications.

Was looking at the Audeze LCD-2 as an upgrade (huge leap I know) but then I decided to give these a shot because I heard they had similar characteristics to the LCD-2s.  It's nice to have a headphone that doesn't have ridiculous treble spikes that make loud listening unbearable.  *Stares at DT770s* *glaces slightly at DT990* *And gives a quick look to the M50* but without missing a nice heavy low end *That means you HD 598*

 

So it was my most expensive headphone purchase. Using it with a Schiit Magni and switching between the FiiO E18 and Creative Sound Blaster Z as the DAC.

 

So far the only thing I don't like which isn't a real problem is it feels too much like the HD 598 but the shape is different where the grills are (the HD 598 feels more flush)

 

Sonically no complaints, perhaps I might have complaints later down the line, probably when I start playing FPS's with these.

post #15981 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary1 View Post
 

I did upgrade my SRG2 to Ultra-Linear. All I can say it is a very close to my Pan Am for HD650's. You lose none what make the Sennheiser special.

Well can you please elaborate on that? It's not that I do not like treble it's just that I don't want my 650s to have much more treble. This is the reason why I don't like 650s with Burson or Beyerdynamic. It makes it sound artificial somehow. I love the SRG2 because of how it makes all the headphones sound musical while retaining the original sound signature without turning it into something different. There's not a whole lot of people who has Graham Slees so it's been hard to make the decision yet. Should I upgrade?

post #15982 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post
 

Well can you please elaborate on that? It's not that I do not like treble it's just that I don't want my 650s to have much more treble. This is the reason why I don't like 650s with Burson or Beyerdynamic. It makes it sound artificial somehow. I love the SRG2 because of how it makes all the headphones sound musical while retaining the original sound signature without turning it into something different. There's not a whole lot of people who has Graham Slees so it's been hard to make the decision yet. Should I upgrade?

 

Treble is something that can be tailored to personal taste if you decided to go down the tube route, for instance with the bhc by changing just the make of small input tube you can tune the sound to your own personal preference.

 

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the amp has such a following, the stock tubes sent with the amp vary and most will roll, so pretty much everybody will be listening to a different combination that works just right for them.

post #15983 of 18559
Yap...better to go with a tube amp...more versatility, and each new tube will add interest to your music.
post #15984 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary1 View Post
 

I guess I am gonna try the Lyr. When you say the Crack is a different story, what do you mean?

 

I just heard the stock Crack with the HD700, but everyone says the Crack is better than the Lyr for the HD650. 

 

MattTCG has both of them and he believes the Crack + Speedball is in a different league for the HD650 in compare to the Lyr . 

Don't forget HD700's impedance is 150 Ohm but for me HD700 still sound very good with Crack
post #15985 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post
 

Well can you please elaborate on that? It's not that I do not like treble it's just that I don't want my 650s to have much more treble. This is the reason why I don't like 650s with Burson or Beyerdynamic. It makes it sound artificial somehow. I love the SRG2 because of how it makes all the headphones sound musical while retaining the original sound signature without turning it into something different. There's not a whole lot of people who has Graham Slees so it's been hard to make the decision yet. Should I upgrade?

It is not a big difference, more refining of the Graham Slee sound. Giving it a more tube-like sound with smooth, velvety midrange and subsumed treble and awesome bass. Yes, you can obtain more control of your sound using a tube amp like the Crack, Pan Am, or Lyr. But, if you want the best of both worlds, I highly recommended.

post #15986 of 18559
I want the Crack, but a little out of my price range currently. I have read through most of this thread since I purchased my HD650.
Without having to go re-read through all of the pages. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the Bravo V2 with the HD650?
Right now I am just using the FiiO E07K to drive the Sennheisers.

Thanks!
post #15987 of 18559

Heard my friend's modded Bravo V2 before... wasn't really impressed, found it way too warm for my tastes. I doubt it will be too much of a step up from the Fiio E07K. Save your money for a better amp. I'd say you could consider the more budget Schiit... (Magni or Vali?)

post #15988 of 18559
Posted this in the setup thread, but figured it could be appreciated here as well. Cable is courtesy of dxanex.

post #15989 of 18559
Crack base is finished.
post #15990 of 18559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Crack base is finished.

So it's almost done! ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread