Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1048

post #15706 of 19545

I find the LYR congested/constipated... vs LDmk3/4se types..and DV336se.

Maybe its too energized sounding. ( had the matsu****a tubes i think..anyway sold the LYR, reluctant to buy more tubes for it :P)

post #15707 of 19545
I had Matsu****a with Lyr and it was my least liked tube. I prefer very unpopular Russian 6N1P over it
post #15708 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


I like better detail retrieval, it pairs great with S.E.X. even better compared to Lyr, sorry can't give more detailed comparison like others here

 

No worries, I appreciate the response :).  Thanks.  I've read from a variety of sources that Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 and Plus both aim at detail and separation, which can't hurt the HD650.  I like the 'bright' sound the Asgard 2 contributes to the HD650.

 

EDIT:

 

Curious what you guys are using as cables?  I'm not looking into spending a fortune, but functionally, I was hoping to find around a 5-6 ft (60-72 inch) cable for it.


Edited by pez - 2/4/14 at 5:12pm
post #15709 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post
 

 

How bout if you customize it? This man sure did :D

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


whoa, that is one fancy crack...

post #15710 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


I like better detail retrieval, it pairs great with S.E.X. even better compared to Lyr, sorry can't give more detailed comparison like others here

 

No worries, I appreciate the response :).  Thanks.  I've read from a variety of sources that Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 and Plus both aim at detail and separation, which can't hurt the HD650.  I like the 'bright' sound the Asgard 2 contributes to the HD650.

 

EDIT:

 

Curious what you guys are using as cables?  I'm not looking into spending a fortune, but functionally, I was hoping to find around a 5-6 ft (60-72 inch) cable for it.

Also for your information Plus uses dual 8740 Dacs while 100 uses single 8742 but I have no idea what is real difference since had no chance to compare them. I really enjoyed HD650 with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable which now after modification driving HD800 but still not sure if I should send Silver Dragon and modify to use with XLR and 1/4" for them
post #15711 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

I had Matsu****a with Lyr and it was my least liked tube. I prefer very unpopular Russian 6N1P over it

 

I love how Matsu****a always gets censored automatically.

post #15712 of 19545

For those with a Valhalla, how much of a sound improvement improvement was there between the stock tubes and some other kinds? Is it worth getting anything else besides stock if you're using it with an HD 650? 

post #15713 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post
 

For those with a Valhalla, how much of a sound improvement improvement was there between the stock tubes and some other kinds? Is it worth getting anything else besides stock if you're using it with an HD 650? 

I wouldn't say it's so much of "sound improvement."  I would say that different tubes changes colors, "warm, dark, bright, etc…."

 

Research on numerous tubes and see how they perform and choose what best fits your taste.  

 

"is it worth it?"  To me? It is if you find a set that fits your likings and stick with them.  Tube rolling can get expensive so choose and read reviews wisely.  ;)


Edited by dyang - 2/4/14 at 10:39pm
post #15714 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojokkeli View Post

Which amp would be the best step-up for the 650's from Vali, when I eventually get an itch to upgrade? BH Crack is the most appealing, but I'm not sure if I can easily find a guy in Finland who can put it together. Are there any noticeable difference between Valhalla and Lyr, or are there any European amps I should consider in similar price range?

You can ask the forum member vid.
post #15715 of 19545

Where's the hd650s gone ??  UK's Sennheiser's  website,...Is it the end :)   Still have the hd600s up .... Maybe lowering the prices and reshuffle  :P

I sold mine the other day already miss them :P

post #15716 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost&confused View Post

Where's the hd650s gone ??  UK's Sennheiser's  website,...Is it the end smily_headphones1.gif   Still have the hd600s up .... Maybe lowering the prices and reshuffle  :P



I sold mine the other day already miss them :P


 



They are still up on the US website: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

..
post #15717 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 

 

I love how Matsu****a always gets censored automatically.


As Schiit say there brand is pronounced  Shih-tah; Couldn't you just refer to them  as Matsu Schiit?:wink_face:

post #15718 of 19545

Another few days with the crack and 650. I think that I'm getting to the bottom of why I like this combo so much. Two things:

 

1. The overall tonality is dead on. Realistic and natural. In a way that I didn't think the 650's were capable of. I've always thought that the 650 had a nice natural tone, but I always thought that only Stax setup could reach this level. Voices and instruments are beautifully reproduced. 

 

2. The next one is harder to nail down. But it comes down to instrument separation and soundstage. The sound stage on the 650 has always been decent. Not great but decent. Now, with the right tubes, the soundstage is tremendous. Where I keep check my system to be sure that the floor speakers aren't on. 

 

So I'll say it again, if you like the 650 and are still looking for the perfect amp then look no further. I've found it...:wink:

post #15719 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Another few days with the crack and 650. I think that I'm getting to the bottom of why I like this combo so much. Two things:

 

1. The overall tonality is dead on. Realistic and natural. In a way that I didn't think the 650's were capable of. I've always thought that the 650 had a nice natural tone, but I always thought that only Stax setup could reach this level. Voices and instruments are beautifully reproduced. 

 

2. The next one is harder to nail down. But it comes down to instrument separation and soundstage. The sound stage on the 650 has always been decent. Not great but decent. Now, with the right tubes, the soundstage is tremendous. Where I keep check my system to be sure that the floor speakers aren't on. 

 

So I'll say it again, if you like the 650 and are still looking for the perfect amp then look no further. I've found it...:wink:

 

Fingers are starting to hover dangerously close to *checkout* and *ship to UK*..... The Crack + HD650 might just be the first setup I'll use to start my adventures in tube rolling!

 

Apart from the SB upgrade, are there any other upgrades/tweaks/tubes that provide noticeable improvements?

post #15720 of 19545
Guess I really have to go with the Crack when I want to move on from Vali. biggrin.gif Btw, does anyone know good inexpensive cables for the 650's? Not expecting to hear any difference in SQ, but I find the stock cable unnecessarily long. Bumbed into some Toxic cables for ~80€, but I wonder if there's still some decent options for cheaper, preferably in Europe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread