I will admit that after having the 650 with the A2, lyr, Vali and a few others that I knew what the 650 was capable of. After the day spent with the crack and 650 I'm happy to report that I truly didn't. The 650 is more enjoyable than I even imagined.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading from Westone 4. Big improvement getting HE 500 or HD650? Last post on 10/28/14 at 6:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headband mod for those sensitive to weight on top of head? Last post on 10/25/14 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser wireless RS 220 and how to best use it Last post on 10/6/14 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything like a right-angle jack for Sennheiser headphones? Last post on 10/1/14 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable over-the-ear headphones recommendations needed Last post on 10/2/14 at 6:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
I am new to head-fi and this is my first ever review. Basically I joined head-fi to read people's expert opinions on different products, as I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about the...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
I'll refrain from writing an extensive review this time, as everything important has already been shown and written down in the other reviews here on head-fi. I second those opinions and can...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1044
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I just had a visit at my home by a very respected headfi member. I let him have a listen to the Crack and 650. He went through some of his favorite tracks, sat at moment pondering, and then said that the crack and 650 was one of the best matches he had ever heard and that it was better than the hd800 on many amps he'd heard it paired with. Don't flame me.
He went on to say that the hd800 and a great amp was certainly better but that it takes too much money to chase that combo down. He said he'd prefer to own the crack and 650. When he left we were talking after market crack tubes, crack builders and other mods. I see the crack and 650 in his future.
The HD800 is really fine on crack too if you know what I mean....It's just a great amp with 300ohm HD!
Crack is the best value amp for the HD600/650/800...done.
Edited by parbaked - 2/1/14 at 8:01pm
I'm really looking forward to auditioning the HD 800 on my Crack at the upcoming Charlotte meet. The HD 650 is certified BAD ASS with the Crack/Speedball and even more so with the Tung-Sol 5998. I never put to much stock into tube rolling until I tried it with the 5998, and man, it's definitely noticeable. Like I said in my previous post, I've never heard the bass sound as tight and punchy on the HD 650 on any setup. Mids sweet and silky smooth, soundstage is phenomenal. Fact.
Also can't wait to audition FlySweeps Mazda CIFTE, dude really knows his tubes!
That being said, I'm not quite as impressed with the HD 700 on Crack...I feel that it warms it up a bit too much...slightly too laid back. It's still impeccably detailed, but it somehow loses some of it's addicting bite and energy on the Crack. I prefer it much more on the Darkvoice 3322. I hope I get better results with the HD 800 on the BHC. But either way, the HD 650 and BHC is a combo that will certainly stand the test of time.
Edited by dxanex - 2/1/14 at 8:31pm
I think if you like your 800s, you will probably love them on crack.
If you don't love them, crack may or may not help.
I'm just sayin' if you have 800s and need a cost effective way to make them sound good then crack is worth considering.
But yes, the 650s on crack be fine.
I don't know nothing about 700s...never been there...
Either would be excellent, but if I were choosing between the two I'd go with the HD600.
I know this is somewhat irrelevant, but I did do Note 3 > GoVibe Magnum > HD650 and thought it sounded pretty great. As long as you're hooking it up to a capable setup, it's a fantastic experience. BTW, I'm using Poweramp on my Note 3 for these claims.
Which amp would be the best step-up for the 650's from Vali, when I eventually get an itch to upgrade? BH Crack is the most appealing, but I'm not sure if I can easily find a guy in Finland who can put it together. Are there any noticeable difference between Valhalla and Lyr, or are there any European amps I should consider in similar price range?
The lyr is a good pairing with the 650 IMO. I'll call it an 8 of 10 depending on which tubes are used. I have not heard the Valhalla. I'd encourage you to find a crack builder local though. As far as I'm concerned, the crack is 10/10 with the 650.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread just now
- › FiiO X5 firmware 2.20 download and discussion 49 seconds ago
- › M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy? 3 minutes ago
- › Will 47 ohm Headphones be okay with an ipod? 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 4 minutes ago
- › Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MK II DAC WANTED 5 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by harshkamboj
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by Bugattikid2012
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)