or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 102

post #1516 of 36844

Just sittin and enjoyin my tunes on the LCD2s and it makes me think of the good old days, where we'd declared war on the K701 boyz - it was hilarious - so many members fallen in that war - those were the days man.

post #1517 of 36844

LOL.

I bought and sold the K701/2 twice, and this is my second HD650...Make music not war :-)

post #1518 of 36844

Yeah, you gave me a very good trade option for your HE5's - but I couldn't do it - these HD650s I hold dear to me.  Even though they have been rendered obsolete by the LCD2s.

post #1519 of 36844

My bluejeanscable.com cables arrived! My Little Dot MKIII just shipped out on Friday.... and I just got word from Little Dot that my DAC_1 just shipped today. My HD650 will be happy soon. :)

post #1520 of 36844

I've had my HD650s for over a month now. Still loving them immensely. My amp is a Woo Audio 6 and my DAC is a NuForce uDAC.

 

I plan to upgrade the tubes on my amp sometime as well, but probably not any time soon because I'm perfectly content at the moment.

The only thing to do now is to keep listening and discovering new things about these magnificent headphones.

 

P.S. I read this whole thread.


Edited by ImitationOfLife - 8/22/10 at 9:59pm
post #1521 of 36844

Love mine. Had them for about three hours, and will never take them off ever again. Listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Mojo

 

7a278ad0_DSC_0002.jpg

 

post #1522 of 36844

Hi! I'll hereby join the fan club

 

1) My setup at home: Naim DAC - Naim Headline - HD650. I love it. It's like being in a dark room sitting in the midst of the band playing - or rather inside each and every instrument simultaneously. My only complaint is that sometimes on some specific recordings I get the feeling I might prefer a slightly colder, more distant soundstage. So I might be getting some AKG701s-just for those few recordings where I feel the 650's get too intense. 

I also want to add that I experienced that the 650's needed 50 hours + burn-in. I was actually quite dissapointed at first.

 

2) Did a comparison for an hour or so in a dealers listening-room on these three great headsets on a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Amp using a rather expensive firewire-dac as a source. 

 

  1) Grado GS1000i 

  2) Sennheiser HD800

  3) Sennheiser HD650

 

The 650s had a presence in the mids (vocals, sax, piano etc) the others simply couldn't match. Grado's are good - but I feel they are too bright for me. HD800 felt more polite than the 650's and are terribly comfy. They all deliver plenty of detail, but the 650's make you listen more to the music... 

 

The Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear struck me as a very, very good amp with the HD650's

 

By the way: anyone had experiences with these cables? 

 

Sennheiser HD-650/600/580 6-ft, Kimber TCSS 19awg cable - eBay (item 110377653536 end time Sep-07-10 14:52:35 PDT)


Edited by ardilla - 8/23/10 at 4:39pm
post #1523 of 36844

FWIW, be sure to let your gear warm up before putting headphones to ears.  Doing so makes you love your 650's all the more.

 

 

post #1524 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Just got my second pair of HD650. I sold the first a few months ago, and though I was using some expensive HE-5LE I was missing them :-)

Sold the HE-5 and now I'm driving the senn with a Earmax: this match is just brilliant. Period.


HD650 + Earmax = pleasure :D

post #1525 of 36844

Dude, you're going nuts!! Snap us a head-fi pr0n photo of your gear when you've got it all together. And definitely let me know how the Little Dot pairs. (Didn't you have an Arrow?)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES View Post

My bluejeanscable.com cables arrived! My Little Dot MKIII just shipped out on Friday.... and I just got word from Little Dot that my DAC_1 just shipped today. My HD650 will be happy soon. :)

post #1526 of 36844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediaogre View Post

Dude, you're going nuts!! Snap us a head-fi pr0n photo of your gear when you've got it all together. And definitely let me know how the Little Dot pairs. (Didn't you have an Arrow?)
 


 


I'm not going nuts. I'm just seeking happiness. Is that so wrong?!? lol. Although my girlfriend has been noticing that in the short time I've been on this forum, I've been accumulating quite a bit of new toys... =/

 

Yeah, I have the Arrow, but I wanted a desktop setup to go with my HD650 and W1000X. The Arrow is really quite something with my ESW9A and IE8's. I can't seem to part with any of these phones despite my promises to. lol.

 

Both my MKIII and DAC_1 arrived at my office today!! What an amazing day! :)

 

BTW: The Arrow is quite good with the HD650, but the MKIII really brings out a few slight details in songs I haven't heard before... not to mention the low sub-bass notes/rumbles seem more controlled. It's hardly noticeable unless you really listen for it though. I just have a few songs that I'm really familiar with, so I notice. The W1000X are really quite different going from the Arrow to the MKIII too... I noticed on the Arrow, the W1000X sounded sort of funny and artificial when listening to pianos, but that's no longer the case with the MKIII... I bought the Little Dot used w/ some Sovtek 6H30 power tubes and Mullard CV4010 driver tubes. I haven't listened to the stock tubes yet, but I don't really care to. lol. 


Edited by PANGES - 8/23/10 at 10:07pm
post #1527 of 36844

Nuthin' wrong with it. I've accumulated more gear in the last year than I'd admit to anyone except maybe a priest. ;)

 

Don't part with anything until you're ready. I've read too many cases (including ones on this thread) of folks ditching something and then regretting it. I just started to flirt with idea of a desktop setup. Let me know how you like your rig.

 

You've mentioned the lack of sub-sonics before. Can you give me a reference song? I want to see if I can hear what you're not hearing. :) I assume you're using a high bit rate.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES View Post


 


I'm not going nuts. I'm just seeking happiness. Is that so wrong?!? lol. Although my girlfriend has been noticing that in the short time I've been on this forum, I've been accumulating quite a bit of new toys... =/

 

Yeah, I have the Arrow, but I wanted a desktop setup to go with my HD650 and W1000X. The Arrow is really quite something with my ESW9A and IE8's. I can't seem to part with any of these phones despite my promises to. lol.

 

Both my MKIII and DAC_1 arrived at my office today!! What an amazing day! :)

 

BTW: The Arrow is quite good with the HD650, but the MKIII really brings out a few slight details in songs I haven't heard before... not to mention the low sub-bass notes/rumbles seem more controlled. It's hardly noticeable unless you really listen for it though. I just have a few songs that I'm really familiar with, so I notice. The W1000X are really quite different going from the Arrow to the MKIII too... I noticed on the Arrow, the W1000X sounded sort of funny and artificial when listening to pianos, but that's no longer the case with the MKIII... I bought the Little Dot used w/ some Sovtek 6H30 power tubes and Mullard CV4010 driver tubes. I haven't listened to the stock tubes yet, but I don't really care to. lol. 

post #1528 of 36844
As of last night, I'm the proud new owner of an HD650! Two months ago I was using Bose Triports now I have some Turbine Pro Golds, Beyer DT880's and my newest , the HD650. I find that my iPhone 4+RSA Predator pairs with the 650's surprisingly well. Couldn't say the same with the iPhone 4+Predator and DT880. They don't do well together at all. Even better is Vaio F11 outputting 96/24 via optical to my 4 year old Yamaha A/V receiver that supports 96/24 and the 650's. I can't imagine how they'd sound from a real dedicated desktop headphone amp. I'll know one day but for now I'm really enjoying the hell out of my newest purchase.
post #1529 of 36844

congrats on the hd650! i have the dt880 as well, and my equipment seems to favor the beyer sound. however, the hd650 is still one of the best open headphones for the price, especially how it can sound good with modest equipment, and better with much improved gear 

post #1530 of 36844

Looking forward to joining you.

 

The K701 is great, but I did listen to a pair of HD650 a few weeks ago, and I was forced to admit that I do prefer the sound of the HD650.

 

Will be interesting to A/B them.

 

Hopefully it will happen with the next salary, but it all depends on the weight of the bill-pile.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread