Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 1003

post #15031 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post

@Talisman,
I see you have the DT880s and the HD650, what are you liking more? I have been looking at both and can not decide what to get. All I have for over ear is the ATH-M50s, there OK but looking for something more.
 

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

8.5

 

nice, can be considered mello with smooth mids. Neither can get the low dramatic rumble the closed m50 produces get. The attenuated high energy might not be a good fit folks who like the m50 and want to improve the experience.

9.5

$459+

Detachable Cables (more QA and tight driver matching specs.

- GOod support. Storage box

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5

 

has good bass and high energy when amped properly while compromising mids

9.5 $200+ coiled cables, no box (Have not received support from Beyer.
post #15032 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post
 
 

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

8.5

 

nice, can be considered mello with smooth mids. Neither can get the low dramatic rumble the closed m50 produces get. The attenuated high energy might not be a good fit folks who like the m50 and want to improve the experience.

9.5

$459+

Detachable Cables (more QA and tight driver matching specs.

- GOod support. Storage box

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5

 

has good bass and high energy when amped properly while compromising mids

9.5 $200+ coiled cables, no box (Have not received support from Beyer.

 

Amazon has the HD 650s for $420 in the US.  They were $416 a week ago.

post #15033 of 21165

Anybody here ever have the feeling that the HD650 price fluxes more then most commodities markets these days?

post #15034 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post
 
 

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

8.5

 

nice, can be considered mello with smooth mids. Neither can get the low dramatic rumble the closed m50 produces get. The attenuated high energy might not be a good fit folks who like the m50 and want to improve the experience.

9.5

$459+

Detachable Cables (more QA and tight driver matching specs.

- GOod support. Storage box

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5

 

has good bass and high energy when amped properly while compromising mids

9.5 $200+ coiled cables, no box (Have not received support from Beyer.

 

Hmm... I see the sound rank of the HD650 is more bold than the DT880 (8.5 vs. 8.5).  ;)

post #15035 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

Good suggestion! I need another stand and will have to give this a go.
Here's a great HD650 stand, doesn't compress the headband or pads at all:

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html
post #15036 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuckfun View Post



Here's a great HD650 stand, doesn't compress the headband or pads at all:



http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

 



Nice looking stand. Thanks for the link.
post #15037 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 

 

I'm continuing to use the LCD-2.. and it's impressing me (more) with every passing hour of use.  The Ember is a wonderful match w/ it, btw.  It isn't a 'tube-y' sounding hybrid, either.. it's just very clean and transparent to the tube used.  An hour or so ago, I rolled in a USA-made Amperex PQ 6922 w/ a "D-Getter" (it's said this tube comes fairly close to approximating the sound of the famed/obscenely expensive/practically extinct/holy grail of tubes, the 'pinched waist').  Anyways, I hooked up the LCD-2.. and oh my goodness.. I was stunned with the sound flowing into my ears.  I'm tempted to get my hands on a relatively inexpensive SS desktop amp (an Audio-GD amp, perhaps?) out of curiosity and see how the LCD-2 likes that.

Back to the 650/Crack: my SB'ed Crack isn't stock.. the output caps are film caps, and the last PS cap is bypassed with an AuriCap.  Also, I have an Alps Blue Velvet pot.

Have you tried the Ember with the 650's and the Amperex PQ 6922?  I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you do.  Also, could you send a link to where you bought the tube please?  I just rolled in a Westinghouse 12au7/ECC82 black carbonized plates tube raised []-getter tube and it opened up the 650's even more than the other tubes I have.  Better sound stage, much more detail.  Thank

post #15038 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuckfun View Post

Here's a great HD650 stand, doesn't compress the headband or pads at all:

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

Appreciate the suggestion, but I actually already own one of those. If you squint, you might be able to make part of it out in my avatar in fact. I agree that it is a very nice, solid, low profile stand. I'm just looking for something cheaper for some of my lesser headphones.
post #15039 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuckfun View Post


Here's a great HD650 stand, doesn't compress the headband or pads at all:

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

 

 

That´s great thanks for sharing, I want something like this one. I don´t like when my headband or pads get press. I put my HD650 in my draw box every time.

post #15040 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxanthop View Post
 

Thanks! I have seen some cheaper (~50% off) at ebay. Has anyone tried them?

 

Yes, I was stupid enough to buy the cheap Chinese knockoff pads for HD 650/HD 600 on ebay. They are not the same quality at all and they won't even sit snug in the cup because the locking mechanism on them is a bit to big. They come popping out all the time. Will trim the plastic on them to see if it works out. Have also sent the seller a complaint. Bought thinking it would be fun to try something other than stock pads, and it's ok that they don't have the same quality foam etc, but at least they should fit.

 

I'll get originals from ebay.de next time. They're cheaper there than locally. Here the pads are like 1/6th the price of a new pair of 650's, which I find utterly ridiculous.

post #15041 of 21165

What's the difference in sound quality between the Schiit Vahalla and Lyr when paired with the Uber Bifrost? I'm strongly considering the Uber Bifrost, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two amps, specifically how they affect the HD 650s.

post #15042 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post
 

What's the difference in sound quality between the Schiit Vahalla and Lyr when paired with the Uber Bifrost? I'm strongly considering the Uber Bifrost, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two amps, specifically how they affect the HD 650s.

 

The Schiit Vahalla is a bit brighter and pairs better with the HD650 than the Lyr, IMO.  

post #15043 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

The Schiit Vahalla is a bit brighter and pairs better with the HD650 than the Lyr, IMO.  

I see you have the Lyr listed in your signature. What's your reason for using that over the Valhalla? For your other headphones?

post #15044 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post
 

I see you have the Lyr listed in your signature. What's your reason for using that over the Valhalla? For your other headphones?

 

Actually the Lyr is a very good all-rounder amp and I prefer the Valhalla over Lyr only for the HD650. 

post #15045 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

Actually the Lyr is a very good all-rounder amp and I prefer the Valhalla over Lyr only for the HD650. 

I see. Well, I'd prefer not to destroy my wallet completely so I'm hoping I won't be tempted to get different headphones. The HD 650s themselves sound great, but I need a good amp and DAC. I'm currently using the HeadRoom Desktop Amp, but it feels as though something is missing. I'd also like to dabble in the tube world.

 

Another question: How hot does this combo run? I've read that these Schiit amps can get quite toasty. I don't mind that in itself, but I typically place my on a glass desk, near my mouse/right hand. Am I going to start feeling uncomfortable after a while because of the heat?


Edited by Unfie - 12/30/13 at 11:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread